V1 Reads Z7 tapes? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old December 19th, 2008, 07:54 PM   #1
Regular Crew

V1 Reads Z7 tapes?

Hey,

any of you guys know if the Sony V1 can play back 24p HD tapes created by the Z7?

Thanks!
Jordan Oplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 11:36 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Oplinger View Post
Hey,

any of you guys know if the Sony V1 can play back 24p HD tapes created by the Z7?

Thanks!
Will playback 24p recorded 60i stream. Will not play the 24p mode back.The Canon v20 and v30 will play back the tapes.
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 01:15 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Rhodes View Post
Will playback 24p recorded 60i stream. Will not play the 24p mode back.The Canon v20 and v30 will play back the tapes.
HV20 & HV30 will play back the tapes? wow didn't know that. hmmmm... might be a cheap capture deck if I need it. although I usually just import from the CF cards
Zach Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 05:51 AM   #4
Regular Crew

In the context of this discussion I have a late question: will the Sony Z7P play back footage recorded with the Canon XM2 (GL2 in the U.S.) in 576i, if the Z7 is also set for DV PAL?
All tape stock used with both Cams is the same: Panasonic DVM63AMQ.
I'd like to sell the XM2 with all accessories, but remain the ability to download or view any SD footage tapes taken with that Cam.
Any input would be very much appreciated.
Gerd.
Gerd Kogler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 11:10 AM   #5
Major Player

I would be SHOCKED if you get a Z7 that does PAL wouldn't be able to play back other PAL miniDV SD tapes.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that there are only 2 forms of DV on miniDV tapes: NTSC & PAL. (Not going into DVCAM or DVCPRO). As long as you stay w/in NTSC or PAL, shoot on brand "X," playback on brand "Y." No problem.*

Once you get into HD on miniDV tapes, then you've got near madness! Canon, Sony, JVC and Panasonic all have models that won't have their tapes play nice with each other.

*No problem, knock on wood... Any electronic device will at some point give you problems.
Zach Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2009, 06:55 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks Zach, I'll give it a try. If it works, I won't need the XM2 anymore.
Gerd Kogler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270