DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/)
-   -   Final Cut Express 4 and CF logging - plug in? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/141636-final-cut-express-4-cf-logging-plug.html)

Luc De Wandel January 15th, 2009 03:52 PM

Final Cut Express 4 and CF logging - plug in?

I know there is a plug-in from Sony to allow Final Cut PRO to log files from a CF-card, coming from the Z7. But that plug-in does NOT work with Final Cut Express 4 (that I'm using). Does anyone know about a plug in for FCExpress, or should I forget about using the CF-reader with this program and go back to capturing from tape?

Zach Love January 17th, 2009 03:33 PM

You might have to just use tape. But pester Apple & Sony to see if there is a solution.

IMHO I really think that I might move away from FCP if the next release can't handle the CF cards the same way FCP handles P2.

I know that Sony has a program the runs outside of FCP for XDCam EX, you could try to ask if they have anything similar for the CF cards. I doubt it, but it is worth a shot.

Luc De Wandel January 17th, 2009 05:10 PM

Thanks, Zach. Until now I've only been bothering Apple with the problem, but I'll certainly get on Sony's back with this too. It is ridiculous that they should bring out a plug-in for FCP, but not for FCE... I'll keep you posted.

Zach Love January 17th, 2009 08:39 PM

Apple didn't make a plugin for FCP, Sony made the plug in for FCP. How messed up is that?

Apple has a lot of pros & cons. Most of the things that bug me w/ FCP are things that are just plain stupid.

Luc De Wandel January 18th, 2009 05:02 AM

Well, I took me a long time to convert to Apple. I tried Pinnacle 10 - a disaster - and Adobe Première Elements, but I never got a smooth editing process with these windows-based programs. My PC didn't recognise camera's, audio got separated seconds from video for no reason at all, PC froze,... a pain in the neck, to be honest. I really got fed up with it.

So I now bought this MacBook Pro and all these problems are things of the past. Everything runs smoothly, the only problem in fact is this logging-thing from CF-cards.

So I just sent a mail to Sony, urging them to make a plug-in for FCE. You never know!

Luc De Wandel January 19th, 2009 05:12 AM

Just received an e-mail from Sony Prime-Support:

"As far as we know, there will be no plugin available from Sony for Final Cut Express. I can only suggest that you check with Apple directly to see if they are planning to incorporate the XDCAM format into Final Cut Express in the future".

So I'll have to put my hopes with Apple...

Zach Love January 19th, 2009 11:58 AM

I don't think that Apple made FCE to be a lighter version of FCP. I think FCE would be great if it was just a busch league FCP.

IMHO, Apple chopped the arms & legs off FCP ala the dark knight in Monty Python.

FCS is a good deal for all the programs you get, but if you just need to edit I really feel that FCE should be an economical solution (key word: should). The stupid issues like this make it hardly useful in many workflows.

Apple is Apple & does things like this. They're out to make money & when I looked at FCE last I knew it would not work for me, so I paid more money for FCS.

OK, it is still a new year, so I should feel like I should say something positive...

My Apple keyboard stopped working. I walked into an Apple store, went to the genius bar, showed the receipt from Fry's electronics from 10 months ago, 30sec later I walked out w/ a new keyboard. Can't do that with a Dell or HP.

Luc De Wandel January 19th, 2009 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zach Love (Post 997493)
FCS is a good deal for all the programs you get, but if you just need to edit I really feel that FCE should be an economical solution (key word: should). The stupid issues like this make it hardly useful in many workflows.

That's exactly what I expected, I thought FCE would compare to Adobe Première Elements (with a little extra, given the double price!). APE offers the logging possibility straight from CF-cards, so I really do not understand why FCE, that costs twice as much, does not do - at least - the same. As you point out, Apple probably just wants to emphasise sales of FCP. But then again they should offer it as a stand-alone program, not as a bundle of software (FCS) 80% of which I'll never use...

This said, even FCE is 100% more stable than Pinnacle or Adobe Première Elements. I never succeeded finishing an edited movie in one of those two programs without loads of problems. Even my dog is glad I made the change. When I started editing in the past, she used to leave the room, in anticipation of the roars to come...

Zach Love January 20th, 2009 10:24 PM

just heard about: ClipWrap this might fix the FCE problem

I don't have time right now, but I'm going to look into it.

I heard about it here:

Sandisk CF good choice? - The Digital Video Information Network

Luc De Wandel January 21st, 2009 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zach Love (Post 998273)
just heard about: ClipWrap this might fix the FCE problem

I don't have time right now, but I'm going to look into it.

I heard about it here:

Sandisk CF good choice? - The Digital Video Information Network

I suppose that will work, but it will also mean an extra time-consuming step. I'm afraid the main advantage of working with CF and logging instead of capturing- time gain - will be lost...

Gary Nattrass January 21st, 2009 10:41 AM

Not true clipwrap imports/wraps the m2t files to .mov at high speed so is a lot faster than from tape.

Luc De Wandel January 21st, 2009 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Nattrass (Post 998468)
Not true clipwrap imports/wraps the m2t files to .mov at high speed so is a lot faster than from tape.

But, sadly, when one tries to download Clipwrap, it says: "Requires OSX 10.4 or higher and Final Cut Pro Studio"... so no good for FCE...
All these companies seem to forget about Final Cut Express, a program that costs one sixth of FCstudio and does 90% of the job that FCstudio does... That's why I bought it in the first place. It's a crying shame that there's no way to make it log the M2T files.

Zach Love January 22nd, 2009 10:17 AM

I wonder if clipwrap has more info on what codecs it uses & if it is possible to download those codecs w/o purchasing FCS.

I'm not a programmer, but I'd be surprised of FCS uses something unique that no one else uses.

Still seems like Apple is crippling FCE in key points to force the upgrade.

Luc De Wandel January 24th, 2009 02:06 AM

This is a message I received from Mike Woordworth at the Clipwrap-makers: "ClipWrap currently requires the codecs installed with FCP. FCE does not support native HDV editing, but rather transcodes the footage into AIC. We are putting the finishing touches on an upgrade to ClipWrap that will transcode m2t files into a compatible format for use in FCE".

Good news.

Hedley Wright February 3rd, 2009 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luc De Wandel (Post 1000101)
This is a message I received from Mike Woordworth at the Clipwrap-makers: "ClipWrap currently requires the codecs installed with FCP. FCE does not support native HDV editing, but rather transcodes the footage into AIC. We are putting the finishing touches on an upgrade to ClipWrap that will transcode m2t files into a compatible format for use in FCE".

Good news.

Yay - now available for download, no longer requires Final Cut Studios to be installed. ClipWrap