DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/)
-   -   Sandisk CF good choice? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/141804-sandisk-cf-good-choice.html)

Gabor Heeres January 18th, 2009 06:21 AM

Sandisk CF good choice?

Are Sandisk CF cards a good choice for use with the memory recording unit? I still have two 8 GB Extreme III cards. Is this gonna work or do I need Extreme IV? Or do you guys not advise Sandisk anyway?

Gary Nattrass January 18th, 2009 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabor Heeres (Post 996804)
Are Sandisk CF cards a good choice for use with the memory recording unit? I still have two 8 GB Extreme III cards. Is this gonna work or do I need Extreme IV? Or do you guys not advise Sandisk anyway?

I havent used the sandisk ones and now standardise on transcend 16gb 133x cards, I find that they are even more robust than the sony 306x 8gb ones supplied free with the unit.

They are very low cost now so I can highly recommend them and as said they are now std on my S270 and Z7 cameras.

If you do a search on the forum someone did a test on several cards, do you know what speed the extreme cards are? If they are within the min 133x spec then try them and see if they are OK.

Update:

I just had a look around and the III cards are only quoted at 20mbs read and write so they will struggle with 25mbs HDV the IV cards should be Ok though as they are 45mbs.

Hope this helps, personally I use the III cards for stills in my D300 and the transcend 133x 16gb cards for HDV video in the S270 and Z7.

Greg Laves January 18th, 2009 09:34 AM

I don't have my Sandisk Extreme III 8 gig card right in front of me. I loaded some Z7 footage on it to give to a colleague. He is playing right off of the card in his Playstation and he said it works great. But I would swear that it says 30 mbs on the card itself, not 20. I have 2 transcend 300x 16 gig cards and the supplied Sony 8 gig card. I am a newbie with the Z7 but no problems with any of them so far.

Bill Petropoulos January 18th, 2009 12:51 PM

The newer Extreme III's are now 30mb/s

-Bill

Zach Love January 19th, 2009 12:15 PM

I have the 8GB Sony, 8GB 300x Transcend & a 16GB 133x Transcend.

I find that I have had NO issues w/ the Sony.

8GB 300x Transcend has had a couple import times where I got an error at first try, then clips came in on second try.

16GB 133x Transcend still has issues where some clips (aprox 5%) won't import into FCP, they just have an error. I can convert them in streamclip, or watch the clips on my PS3, but FCP doesn't like them.

If you have the cash, go for Sony, if not get as fast of cards as you can.

Gary Nattrass January 19th, 2009 12:41 PM

Hi Zach I am using clipwrap and have not had any problems importing every clip from the transcend 133x 16gb cards.

I did have a couple of bugs 7 months ago but they fixed them and it is now
very robust.

Zach Love January 20th, 2009 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Nattrass (Post 997517)
Hi Zach I am using clipwrap and have not had any problems importing every clip from the transcend 133x 16gb cards.

I did have a couple of bugs 7 months ago but they fixed them and it is now
very robust.

haven't heard of it, but will look into it. do you think this would work with Final Cut Express?

Final Cut Express 4 and CF logging - plug in? - The Digital Video Information Network

Gary Nattrass January 21st, 2009 05:56 AM

I dont think clipwrap will work with FCE as it needs some of the final cut pro codecs to do it.

An upgrade to final cut studio may be the best long term option.

Max Bettelle January 29th, 2009 06:21 AM

The EXTREME III cards are 30MB/s (megabyte), which equals more than 200Mb/s, not 30Mb/s (megabit).

The DV/HDV bitrate is 3,5MB/s or 25Mb/s so there should be no problems

Jon Goulden February 2nd, 2009 02:24 AM

I'm using Sandisk Extreme III 16 Gb cards and RiData 16 & 32 Gb cards (233x). All of them are working perfectly.

However I am not buying any more Sandisk products until they make good on the $200 rebate they owe me for the 16 Gb cards. They took the initial support request last October but never gave a response. Now they aren't replying to follow-up requests.

Robert Bec February 2nd, 2009 02:37 PM

I see that most people are using 8 gig or 16 gig why not go for 32 gig

what about kingston Kingston | 16GB CompactFlash Elite Pro Memory Card | CF/16GB-S2

Or

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...mate_266X.html

Gary Nattrass February 3rd, 2009 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Bec (Post 1005416)
I see that most people are using 8 gig or 16 gig why not go for 32 gig

what about kingston Kingston | 16GB CompactFlash Elite Pro Memory Card | CF/16GB-S2

Or

Kingston | 16GB CompactFlash Ultimate 266X Card | CF/16GB-U2

Too many eggs in one basket for me at 32gb and besides I load up with 63 min tapes so the 73 mins on the 16gb CF in the S270 and Z7 matches it perfectly with 10 mins to spare on the CF.

Geoff Schatzel February 5th, 2009 02:10 AM

Yeah I prefer to have the 16 GB cards. One hour per card plus a bit more, almost like tape.

Although I have Extreme III 16 GB cards and they seem to be working ok with the HD on the Z7. Will I see problems with long period use? I have only been using it in small doses and haven't tried it on a wedding yet.

Mark Boggis February 5th, 2009 07:12 AM

I've been working on a studio project where we use 16Gb Sandisk Extreme III 30Mb/s cards in 25 Z7s, and we regularly shoot 1080p for over an hour without any breaks. We've been shooting this way 2 or 3 times a week for the past 6 months. The Sandisk cards have been flawless, and as a result of my experience with them I have just bought 4 for my own Z7. They are really good cards to use with the Z7 so you shouldn't have any problems.

Geoff Schatzel February 5th, 2009 08:51 AM

[QUOTE=Mark Boggis;1006938]I've been working on a studio project where we use 16Gb Sandisk Extreme III 30Mb/s cards in 25 Z7s, and we regularly shoot 1080p for over an hour without any breaks. /QUOTE]

Problem is I can't tell how fast these are. I bought these off Ebay, they might be fakes. I know there's a lot of those going around. But I haven't had a problem with them so far in spot shooting. Any way to tell if they are real and what speed they are?