DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/)
-   -   FCP Log and Transfer "half moon" when logging from Sony z7u (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/142512-fcp-log-transfer-half-moon-when-logging-sony-z7u.html)

Shawn Lloyd January 27th, 2009 12:14 PM

FCP Log and Transfer "half moon" when logging from Sony z7u

I get the half moon symbol (that's the little circle on the left hand side of the clip) when I log 24p footage from my CF card using Final Cut Pro 6.05's log and transfer window . I'm not sure if this is really an error as this is a brand new camera. The clips seem fine, although a few seem cut off, but I"m not sure if that is a product of shooting to tape and CF card at the same time.

When I log 30p or 60i footage I get the full, completed circle.

Also, I did try logging the 24p footage with the "remove advanced pulldown and duplicate frames" both off and on which yielded the same half moon result.

Thanks.

Ed Plamondon January 27th, 2009 10:21 PM

I get the same thing. I've had my camera now since summer and that typically happens on my 24p stuff. When comparing timecode to the clips sitting in the Log and Transfer tool to the final clip that gets imported in Final Cut - it would appear that up to 15 frames get cut off from the heads and tails.

To be honest, I've stopped worrying about the half moons. I've inspected enough of them to realize that what I'm missing is not significant enough to worry.

When I shoot I typically wait a few seconds before and after each shot anyway - so no critical info is missing.

Is it annoying - a little bit, yes.
I imagine there's some reason for it - but for now, I've shot hours of stuff and haven't missed anything.

So basically I'm replying to report that your results seem to be consistent with mine.

Unrelated though - I wish the log an transfer tool would allow us to preview the clips and select in and out points. I feel we're missing out on the full potential of that tool

Shawn Lloyd January 28th, 2009 03:54 PM

Thanks for the info. I guess I won't sweat the half moons.

I wish there was more good information out there on efficient work flows.

That being said, I'm really curious how people are shooting with their Z7's.

Are they shooting more 24p, 30p 60i etc. Also, are they shooting with CF card and tape or just one exclusively?

Although I am very happy Sony created the CF recorder, I am a little disappointed in the lag time as compared to the instantaneous reaction of the HVX-200's P2 recording.

Ed Plamondon February 8th, 2009 11:15 PM

Shawn -
I can't speak for everyone else's workflows but I'd have to imagine alot of folks are shooting to the cards and to tape at the same time - if not anything else, but to have an instant back up to their footage.

I hear you on many levels regarding the operation of the card reader.
Heck - I wish we had under and over crank and more frame by frame recording options. But it's just the tradeoffs with the camera.

I think it's a communication thing (not a flaw) that creates the lag you speak of - vs the panasonic or EX1/3 where it's completely integrated into the camera. Here, we basically have an external recording unit that is so nicely designed, it just seems like part of the camera - and as such should work the same.

So given that - I simply treat the camera as the hybrid that it is, offering us quite a bit of flexibility to move into a tapeless workflow - or shoot the old fashioned way.. or both.

As for what others are shooting mostly?? I'd have to imagine alot are shooting 24p as it's a selling point for the cam. But I back up a sec and recognize that may not be the case. I think it's simply what the project determines. I shoot 24p - 60i - 30p - and I've also had to shoot 24p-Scan, especially when I"m turning the tapes over to someone else and they may not be able to play the native 24p files from tape. I think folks are shooting everything with this cam. Reading the boards shows folks all over the map.

I'd love a tiny version of this camera to come out for B-Camera work (like the A1). I think that'd be tremendous.

Lot's of wishes as I'm sure you have as well.