DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/)
-   -   What's your workflow? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/142656-whats-your-workflow.html)

Shawn Lloyd January 29th, 2009 12:13 PM

What's your workflow?

I'm really curious how people are shooting with their Z7's. What's your work flow?

Are you shooting more 24p, 30p 60i etc?

Are you shooting with CF card and tape or just one exclusively?

Anybody done much green screen work?

Any gotchas we should know about?

Are you generally happy with the cameras?

Zach Love January 29th, 2009 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawn Lloyd (Post 1003282)
I'm really curious how people are shooting with their Z7's. What's your work flow?

Most of the time. Shoot tape & CF card. CF card into a Lexar FW800 reader import footage. Edit in FCP, export, delete any footage taking up space needed for next project. Un-re-wond tape goes on shelf to collect dust as a safe back up.

Quote:

I have shot mostly 1080i60 b/c all of the client's other footage was coming in 1080i60.

Done a little 1080p24 & it looks great, but in very high motion I got some nasty artifacts. So I like 1080p30 the most, but that is me. I want to do some controlled tests at some point to really see the difference in motion problems between 1080i60, 1080p30 & 1080p24. Overall you'll have those issues w/ any HDV camera to one point or another.

Quote:

5% of the time when I'm just testing something out, like a new wide angle, CF card only.
5% of the time when I have to hand off a tape, tape only.
90% of the time CF & tape.

Quote:

I haven't yet, but I'd assume it would be just a problematic as any other HDV or DV camera. If you're doing a lot of green screen get a Blackmagic Intensity card. You can go pre-HDV compression straight off the chips, through the HDMI & into a computer at 4:2:2 color space & you should have a much easier time chroma keying.

Quote:

imo the only gatcha is CF card speed. other people here haven't had a problem w/ 133x cards, but I have issues here & there. buy the best CF cards you can. 300x are my cards of choice.

Quote:

Very, very, very much so. If I had an extra $4k when I bought my camera, I would have gotten an EX3. If I had an extra $40k I would have gotten a Red. But I think the Z7 is the best bang for your buck for sale today.

Greg Laves January 29th, 2009 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zach Love (Post 1003339)
Very, very, very much so. If I had an extra $4k when I bought my camera, I would have gotten an EX3. But I think the Z7 is the best bang for your buck for sale today.

I have only had mine for a short time and Zach's opinions seem to be on the mark. Since I am still doing a lot of learning and playing, I am mainly using the CF card. So far anything I have shot for a client, however, has been belt and suspenders (tape AND CF card).

On some post somewhere, Douglas Spotted Eagle (I respect his opinions) said that in some ways that the Z7 was superior to the EX1. I wish he would have eloborated more. I would like to know why he said that.

John Knight January 29th, 2009 02:24 PM

- 50i PAL. Tried progressive, clients hated the look.

- MiniDV only for event work. CF only for corp work or timelapse.

- Robin Ridden - Avon City Ford on Vimeo (hd promo)
- The Making of AVON CITY FORD Promo Video on Vimeo ("making of" in sd)
- This is a password protected video on Vimeo (current project intro - password=steve)

- New or prospective owners... before spending $5000+ buy this....
Vortex Media: VIDEO & PHOTO Tools and Training

- Scared me at first - coming from PDxxx and VXxxx. It nearly broke my wrist during the first event I shot. But because I sold my PDxxx range, I couldn't go back. Now once I've figured out how to hold and use it properly... I LOVE IT! :)

Gary Nattrass January 29th, 2009 05:29 PM

S270 and Z7 UK user here and shooting as follows:

1: Shoot Tape and Compact Flash as 1080i 50i. ( transcend 16gb 133x cards as std) native 25p looks crap

2: Tape goes on shelf as back-up.

3: Import CF files via clipwrap to firewire drive for use in final cut studio 2 on macbook pro or i-mac. (I have an express card reader and a sandisk firewire 800 CF reader)

4: Edit HDV in Final Cut at 1080i 50i

5: Export audio tracks as OMF for dubbing in pro tools 002 LE with DV toolkit 2 (guide DV pic if required) 24 bit 48k

5: Export master audio AIFF from PT and re-import into final cut timeline as master audio mix track

6: Export quicktime master movie at Pro Res 422 1440x1080i 25p ( or 1920x1080i 25p if required) 25p at this stage looks very good see below

7: Author DVD, desktop, ipod or flash size files for delivery from pro res master. (also master at 1080i 50i to HDV tape as safety master on tape or Digi Beta/HDcam via SDI)

See my web sites below for examples of streaming and I love both cameras

John Knight January 29th, 2009 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Laves (Post 1003359)
On some post somewhere, Douglas Spotted Eagle (I respect his opinions) said that in some ways that the Z7 was superior to the EX1. I wish he would have eloborated more. I would like to know why he said that.

Could be alcohol related. Like his Z7 training DVD.

Greg Laves January 29th, 2009 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Knight (Post 1003622)
Could be alcohol related. Like his Z7 training DVD.

Now, that is not nice....

I haven't seen his Z7 training video so I can't speak to that.

Tim Ducharme January 30th, 2009 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Laves (Post 1003635)
Now, that is not nice....

I haven't seen his Z7 training video so I can't speak to that.

I have both training videos, DSE's and Doug Jensen's from Vortex Media.

I was disappointed with DSE's video. Years ago when I started working with Vegas 4 I respected DSE and VAAST. Actually, DSE was great with support. I think once Sony bought Vegas it went to DSE's head. I had a very bad experience with VAAST about 2 years ago and did not get any support from DSE or his team at VAAST. Actually, not one of my emails were responded to and I have just given up with VAAST. Shortly after that I discovered Vortex Media and have been impressed with their training videos and tools. If you have a limited budget, I would invest in the Vortex Media Z7U training DVD by Doug Jensen.

Tim Ducharme January 30th, 2009 03:39 PM

- 30P

- CF card or directly to hard drive if the environment allows it.

- I have two Z7Us with very early serial numbers and my cameras have had to go in for a firmware update a one of them had something wrong with the lens (focus issue) and I had to replace the lens (fortunately under warranty)

- Thrilled. It is a great camera and meets all of my needs.

Derek Woods February 3rd, 2009 07:48 PM

I LOVE this camera. They say that the stove doesn't make the chef, but i feel much better about my shooting some days:)
Anyhoo, here's my workflow and some tips:
-i mainly shoot HDV 30p on both card and tape, edit in FCP, export as a pro res file for compressor as the job warrants. looks great, No problems , (early on some bugs but I made adjustments)
- i always make sure that the card reader is the only firewire device plugged in while using fcp, otherwise it doesn't mount on the desktop, and no log and transfer window will appear
-different success with different card readers, now i only use the cf unit itself for the transfer
-Use the transcend 32gig cards, and format before each shoot.
-camera settings for card is synchro, rECORD MODE CACHE
(but quick on and off and I still lose some clips sometimes)

Shawn Lloyd February 4th, 2009 12:22 AM

Just wanted to thank everyone for the detailed explanations of their work flows. There's nothing like a little real world advice for a new user like myself.