HVR-Z7U or HDR-FX1000 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old February 13th, 2009, 03:36 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HVR-Z7U or HDR-FX1000

Hi,

Seems FX1000 became a very hot topic recently...i'm wondering which to invest...need your helps here and give some idea or suggestion to grab it...

I'm using it for indoor-Cencert (simple lighting) + interviewing + Live Feed...

Z7U or FX1000 s'ld i grab for it and why?
you even can recommend other models here...

Thanks and appreciate!!!
Mac Treouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 09:16 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Seems odd to have the Z7 in one hand and the FX1000 in the other. I could understand it if you'd said Z5.

The Z7 is much better in low light simply because the interchangeable lens doesn't ramp anywhere near as much as the FX's, so how well lit will your indoor shots be? And won't you need radio and shotgun mics? Easy when there's XLRs built into the camera.

The Z7 will probably hold its value better than the FX - or at least find a wider audience in 3 years time.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 09:43 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Tom,

C'ld i said You are highly recommended the Z5 for a production House ?

What bout if compare the Z5 with the Pana-HMC150?They both are came with new tech...Might need your analysis...Thanks
Old February 13th, 2009, 10:07 AM   #4
Inner Circle

The Z5 and the 151 (I'm in PAL land) are an interesting pair. The Z5 is nicer made, has a much longer zoom, a far better placed top screen, has lots of useful slow shutter speeds, records to tape and CF and costs a whole lot more.

The 151 has CCDs (which react to electronic flash a lot better than the Z5's CMOS). It has a tiny bit more wide-angle but a whole lot less telephoto, and will need a computer with far more grunt to edit the AVCHD files.

tom.
Old February 13th, 2009, 10:53 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick View Post
The Z5 and the 151 (I'm in PAL land) are an interesting pair. The Z5 is nicer made, has a much longer zoom, a far better placed top screen, has lots of useful slow shutter speeds, records to tape and CF and costs a whole lot more.

The 151 has CCDs (which react to electronic flash a lot better than the Z5's CMOS). It has a tiny bit more wide-angle but a whole lot less telephoto, and will need a computer with far more grunt to edit the AVCHD files.

tom.
So,These 2 will be your recommendation,right? Z5 from Sony and HMC150 from Pana...

AVCHD will be your consideration when choosing a camera for Post-Production issue?
Old February 13th, 2009, 11:14 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I can't 'recommend' either camera because I don't know what you want to use them for, don't know how much money you have and don't know if your computer is up to editing the footage.

They're both good cameras, but then the EX1 is better than either of them, and the VX2100 is worse.
Old February 13th, 2009, 06:52 PM   #7
Major Player

Howdy Mac. Back to the original question between the FX1000 and the Z7. If you are already considering a Z7 then I would figure you already know that it costs a lot more than the FX1000. If you are not concerned about the price difference, then the Z7 has a lot more to offer for the professional than the FX1000. No contest. Pardon me if I am wrong, but you seem to be jumping all over the map. And maybe I am reading the posts wrong but you seem to be drawing the opposite conclusion to what Tom seems to be saying. For example, Tom was saying that you need more computing power to be able to work with AVCHD and your response was "AVCHD will be your consideration when choosing a camera for Post-Production issue?" I don't think that is what Tom meant. At least I didn't read it that way.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 02:16 AM   #8
Inner Circle

You're right Greg, that's not what tom meant. And yes, in the list of cameras mentioned so far the Z7 is head and shoulders above the rest.
Old February 21st, 2009, 12:18 AM   #9
Major Player

If anything, get the Z5, Z7 or something card based.

The ONLY reason why people are still using tape is b/c the industry changes about as quickly as horse walking through thick mud.

Tape is NOT dead yet, but just like Standard-Def, everyone is going tapless HD & the only reason why everyone hasn't switched over is the expensive cost.

Price wise Z7 = Z5 + MRC1. These two cameras work great in today's workflow & will work in tomorrows workflow too.

FX1000 will have the same picture quality as the Z7 or Z5, because as I understand it, they're using the same internal components.

EX1 or EX3 are two heavily praised cameras. P2 has some advantages to it, but over all it has taken a nasty beating from Sony last year.

AVCHD is another way to go, although you have to have a new computer (last couple years), to be able to do anything w/ the footage. But you'll run into that with nearly anything HD.

Overall depending on how much money you have, these are my picks.

$
Canon HF series (100, 10, 11, 200 etc.)

$$
Panasonic HMC-150

$$$
Sony Z7 (1st pick)
Sony Z5 + MRC1 (If you KNOW you won't ever use a different lens, buy the Z5 for the 20x zoom)

$$$$
Sony EX1

$$$$$$
Sony EX3
Zach Love is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270