Z7 dof? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old February 22nd, 2009, 02:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Z7 dof?

Can the Z7 achieve a good DOF with the proper settings. I have heard that it doesent do to well with that and focuses on ENG type shootings more. Anyone have any other info on this, I dont know if what I heard was true but if you set the focus on the lens to servo i think it will do fine. Test clips please!
Michael Rees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 03:07 PM   #2
Inner Circle

A good depth of field implies a deep dof - is this what you're after? In which case you're in luck - any camera that uses tiny 1"/3 chips also comes with very short focal length lenses, meaning it takes concentration to get any sort of differential focus at all.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 08:11 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Actually, by "good" DOF I meant a short DOF with a short focus range. Somewhat resembling a 35mm adapter with proper settings. But ,okay...
Michael Rees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 11:38 PM   #4
Major Player

I have been able to achieve a really good "shallow" DOF look with the Z7 in a talking head shot. It required more space than my 2/3" Betacam would need to get the same look. But it can be done. The subject was about 12 feet in front of the background and the camera was maybe 15 feet from the subject. I used negative gain (-6db) to help get the aperature wide open. Since the camera was not really close to the subject, I could also use a little telephoto on the lens to help soften the background, as well.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 02:02 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Michael - the Z7 - of all the 1"/3 chipped camcorders - is the best at obtaining differential focus in your shots, and that's because the lens is so fast (f/2) at full telephoto.

So the way to get your talent standing out sharply from soft foregrounds and backgrounds is to

1) Use maximum aperture (use the NDs and raise the shutter speed if necessary)

2) have the subject as close to your camera as possible

3) Have the background as far away as possible.

4) Use full telephoto, A telephoto converter is good too as it increases the focal length while not decreasing the max aperture (as ramping zooms all do).

tom.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 04:07 PM   #6
Major Player

Z7 will have the same DOF as: Sony PD170, S270, Z1, Z5... Canon XL1, GL1, XH-L1, XH-A1... JVC HD110, HD200... Panasonic DVX100, HVX200, HPX170... ... ... ...

Any of these 1/3" cameras will have just about the same DOF. Cameras like the HX-A1 & Z5 have 20x lenses, compared to the Z7's stock 12x lens. I purchased a MTF adapter & now have a range of almost 100x zoom by being able to change lenses.

Just remember that DOF is determined by ONLY two factors:
1. Lens (Length)
2. Aperture (F-stop)

A 50mm lens w/ an aperture of 2.0 will have the same DOF on a 35mm film camera as it does on a 1/3" video camera. The real difference is the FOV (Field of View).

If you want the same DOF & FOV of a 35mm film camera on a Z7, buy a Letus or Redrock.

If you don't want to use an adapter, then get a camera w/ larger chips like the 1/2" EX1 or EX3, or any of the costly 2/3" shoulder mount cameras (but those are $20k+++).
Zach Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 03:10 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Love View Post
Z7 will have the same DOF as: Sony PD170, S270, Z1, Z5... Canon XL1, GL1, XH-L1,JVC HD110, HD200... Panasonic DVX100
You're quite correct in that the Z7 will 'have the same dof' as those other cameras mentioned but only at the same focal lengths and apertures.

The good thing about the Z7 is that it opens to f/2 at 54 mm focal length. The Z1 can only manage f/2.8, the DVX100 can't even get there - it peters out at 45 mm and f/2.8.

So in the real world the Z7 opens up better shallow dof possibilities than the other fixed lensed cameras, for an equivalent fov.

tom.
Old February 24th, 2009, 04:40 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Love View Post
Z7 will have the same DOF as: Sony PD170, S270, Z1, Z5... Canon XL1, GL1, XH-L1, XH-A1... JVC HD110, HD200... Panasonic DVX100, HVX200, HPX170... ... ... ...

If you want the same DOF & FOV of a 35mm film camera on a Z7, buy a Letus or Redrock.

If you don't want to use an adapter, then get a camera w/ larger chips like the 1/2" EX1 or EX3, or any of the costly 2/3" shoulder mount cameras (but those are $20k+++).
Or get a broadcast lens for your Z7. No f stop ramping. F1.4 capability. And much cheaper than buying an EX3 or larger camcorder.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2009, 08:05 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I fought with the same problems and I have tried everything from lighting to shutter speeds and still could get the effect I was looking for. So I purchased the Brevis 35mm adapter and it makes a world of a difference. I'm extremely happy with the results. I would imagine the other 35mm adapters will work just as good.
Jason LeFrense is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270