DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/)
-   -   Z7 file import problem (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/144810-z7-file-import-problem.html)

Aldo Visaggio February 28th, 2009 10:41 AM

Z7 file import problem

Hello
I am using a Z7 on shoot as second camera with my EX1. When I import the Z7 files into fcp it works fine for the smaller files but will not import the larger files. If anyone has experienced this and has a solution please let me know.
Many Thanks, Aldo

James Cairns February 28th, 2009 12:11 PM

import help maybe?

What size is the file as from what I hear depending on the version of fcp this can be an issue, you may have to use the program called clipwrap to import if an older version of fcp you are using....if you are using Final Cut Studio 2 and all is up to date download the free Sony program and this may help....I am only moving over to fcp but I have an older version and I did not import from the MRU much to CS3....so sorry if this does not help....

Aldo Visaggio February 28th, 2009 12:32 PM

Thanks James. I am using final cut pro with the new sony software to import the files. It works fine with small files but is troublesome with the large files.
Cheers, Aldo

James Cairns February 28th, 2009 03:05 PM

File Problem

I don't know if this helps but if the file is lareger than four gigs then you have to maje the capture smaller?? I know you already know this but whan it happened to me with big files I just capture smaller than 4gig and it goes in...

Sorry if none of this helps as I am new to FCP as well.

Aldo Visaggio February 28th, 2009 04:21 PM

Hi James
I didn't know this regarding the 4 gigs. This is a file generated by the Z7U, so how do i make it smaller before importing it into FCP? Also I have never run into this problem using my EX1 and I have many files with larger than four gigs.
Thanks, Aldo

James Cairns February 28th, 2009 07:14 PM

Don't know if this helps

20mins of footage is 5GIG so I apologise for the wrong info???

Hi Aldo, the first problem I encountered was the 20mins of footage that can be 5gig in size I could not get her into my NLE system. I put the clip into MovieMaker on my PC and then split it into smaller sizes....

Now I know you are using FCP so maybe the same can be done with iMovie, all I know is my old colleague told me that when you hit 20mins of footage that some systems with the NLE software do not like working in this way so now I import with smaller files and I have never had the problem....

BUT are you importing via MRU footage or tape as I am talking tape But I dare say 20mins is 20mins....

I apologise if this sounds silly but this worked for me, maybe another workaround is to try a Batch capture. I am sorry if this doesn't help but I am new to all of this so sorry for any misleading info.

Aldo Visaggio March 1st, 2009 08:22 AM

I am importing the footage from compact flash. All the files are unwrapped and imported fine into FCP except for the large files. I do not have this problem with my EX1 footage. I was hoping someone out there is importing from this camera's compact flash card and could shed some light on my issue. Thanks James but I am not using tape I am using CF cards importing into FCP.

James Cairns March 1st, 2009 08:51 AM

the only other problem I have read when using the MRU is the metadata or IDX file but as I don't use this I apologise I could not help you.

James Cairns March 1st, 2009 09:47 AM

Hi Aldo, I have had a wee look and some people say it may be the Sony Plugin? as they have the uptodate OS X and FCP V6 but some say since putting the plugin problems arise one DVinfo user Gary Nattrass has been waiting for an answer from Sony for THREE months...I hope you get it fixed.... One question I would like to ask is I was going to buy the EX1 but at the time thought the media was expensive how does the EX1 compare to the Z7....

Sorry I couldn't help you?

Aldo Visaggio March 1st, 2009 10:39 AM

Hi James
The EX1 and Z7U are both amazing cameras for the price. The EX1 can accept CF cards now with an adapter so media pricing should not be a problem. Both are very good in low light with the EX1 a little better because of the 1/2 inch cmos sensors. The Z7 has the option to shoot SD and HD so that might be of importance to some people. THe EX1 has a wider lens but you can remove the Z7Us lens. If you have the extra cash go for the EX1 with better sensors and a higher quality compression in 35/mbs. They are both excellent cameras but the EX1 is definitely superior in image quality, as it should be. You can't go wrong with either it just depends on what features are more important to you.
Can you direct me to the Natrass thread?
A

James Cairns March 1st, 2009 12:51 PM

Heading on page 2
CF wont work when connect to Macpro
Robert Bec

December 18th, 2008 09:23 AM
by Gary Nattrass Go to last post
14 534

heading on page 4
Log & Transfer in Final Cut
Ed Plamondon

October 21st, 2008 05:17 PM
by Zach Love Go to last post
9 2,031

I had contacted Gary before regarding the MRU, so maybe you could email him?

sorry that you are still having this problem and that I couldn't help....