Basic question but getting confused ... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old March 26th, 2009, 05:32 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Basic question but getting confused ...

Dear All,

I have been asked to conduct a shoot in DV and also with progressive scan?

Is this possible? Is it a matter of a button in the menu?

Thanks and regards,

Stuart
Stuart McAlister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 09:57 PM   #2
Major Player

Under the IN/OUT REC menu, select REC FORMAT, then select DV. From there drop down to to DV PROGE. sub-menu and select scan type 60, 24 or 30.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 09:34 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart McAlister View Post
Dear All,

I have been asked to conduct a shoot in DV and also with progressive scan?

Is this possible? Is it a matter of a button in the menu?

Thanks and regards,

Stuart
Good luck with the shoot. You might want to test the 24p scan and 30p scan settings before you show up for the job. As you might already know, 24p has the potential to give a very shuddery look, compared to 30p. If you test in advance you will have a better idea of whether your project is better served as a 24p vs. 30p project.

If you are new to the camera, checkout Vortex Media - Vortex Media: VIDEO & PHOTO Tools and Training. They have a very thorough training video specifically for your Z7U. It offers great training -- but in addition it gives you fantastic (beautiful looking) examples of how the camera looks in all kinds of shooting situations, including great samples of what different frame rates look like.

I got my copy when I first got my Z7U, and I refer to it often. Another company has a training disc for the Z7U (which I also bought). I don't recommend it -- there are A LOT of errors in the training. The Vortex title is the way to go.

Ian
Ian Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 12:37 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thank you very much for your input. I would have responded earlier but despite ticking 'instant email notification', nothing popped into my inbox.

Your comments and efforts have not gone unrecognised!

Stuart
Stuart McAlister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 08:03 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Basic question but getting confused

I am confused about REC TYPE and SCAN TYPE on the HVR-Z7P.
I'd like to shoot in progressive mode at 25p (frames). Going into the IN/OUT and HDV PROGRE menu with the camera set to recording, I cannot get rid of the 'i' behind the 1080.
I have seen progressive recording in 25 frames stated as '1080p25'.
It is my impression that I am recording interlaced, but with 25p? How does that work?
My viewfinder display says 1080i25p.
Is that how Sony expresses the true progressive format with progressive scan type?
My results are great, I love the camera.
Anyone out there who knows the answer, please reply. Thanks. Gerd
Gerd Kogler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 09:22 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerd Kogler View Post
It is my impression that I am recording interlaced, but with 25p? How does that work?
My viewfinder display says 1080i25p.
Is that how Sony expresses the true progressive format with progressive scan type?
My results are great, I love the camera.
Anyone out there who knows the answer, please reply. Thanks. Gerd
HI, Gerd . . .

If you select the recording frame rate 25p, then you are truly recording progessive - regardless of the 1080i25p display. If, however, you are shooting 25p scan you are getting a "quasi" progressive result, since the pregressive stream is recorded within the 1080i signal. If your NLE can handle editing a true 25p project, then don't shoot using 25p scan - simply shoot with 25p selected. Again, in 25p you can disregard the 1080i25p display in your viewfinder, since you are shooting in a truly progressive mode.

Hope this helps . . .

Ian
Old April 2nd, 2009, 07:12 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks Ian, your input answered my question; I still find it a bit confusing, since 'i' stands for 'interlaced'.
Cheers, Gerd.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 09:29 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Thanks Ian, your input answered my question; I still find it a bit confusing, since 'i' stands for 'interlaced'.
Cheers, Gerd.
Hi, Gerd . . .

I think the only reason (not a good one) you see 1080i on your LCD when shooting native progressive is that Sony has traditionally considered HDV to be a 1080i only format -- and this is likely the reason the camera indicates 1080i on the LCD at all times, in all shooting modes -- even when a native progressive mode is correctly chosen.

In a recent 24 page booklet, "HDV Progressive Primer", Sony states that the native progressive modes have just recently been added to the HDV specification. Prior cameras only could offer a "progressive look" with Cineframe or 24p scan, 25p scan or 30p scan.

Here is the link to get a PDF of the Progressive Primer from Sony. It has a lot of useful info. to give you a history of their various progressive options that have been adopted by the HDV standard -- it details also some of cautions and benifits for shooting in a native progressive frame rate.

Here is the link:

http://www.sony.ca/hdv/files/white/H...ive_Primer.pdf

Happy reading!

Ian
Old April 7th, 2009, 06:09 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks for the latest info Ian,
However, according to the clip-info of the FCP browser I am capturing :Compressor 1080i/50, frame rate: 25 frames! It is kinda confusing, isn't it!
I'll get stuck into the link supplied by you right now. Thank You!. Gerd
Old April 7th, 2009, 01:47 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Thanks for the latest info Ian,
However, according to the clip-info of the FCP browser I am capturing :Compressor 1080i/50, frame rate: 25 frames! It is kinda confusing, isn't it!
I'll get stuck into the link supplied by you right now. Thank You!. Gerd
Hi, Gerd . . .

If you are ingesting 25P (not 25P scan) footage into your computer from your camera or through a card reader then you are ready to edit a native 25P project. I edit with Vegas 8, and don't know much about FCP. It's likely that since traditionally 1080i was the absolute spec for the HDV format that your NLE, just like the camera, simply reports that your 25P stream comes from what is UNUALLY considered to be a 1080i based format - even when the footage is truly native progressive.

I'm shooting mostly with the frame rate of 30P, and it has worked well for most of my projects.

Ian
Old April 8th, 2009, 07:48 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Ian, I am getting more confident each day that my setting is correct for progressive scan. Both camera and FCP is talking in 1080i/25p. I'm still reading the info from Sony.
Thanks again, Gerd.
Gerd Kogler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270