DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/)
-   -   Raynox HDP-6000EX HD Wideangle converter (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/158032-raynox-hdp-6000ex-hd-wideangle-converter.html)

Luc De Wandel April 4th, 2009 12:21 AM

Raynox HDP-6000EX HD Wideangle converter

Does anyone here have experience with this convertor on the Z7?

Mike Paterson April 9th, 2009 08:40 AM

no, but I'd be very interested to hear experiences of it too. It looks heavy, but as far as I'm aware this is the only zoom through adapter available, unless someone can correct me..?

Luc De Wandel April 9th, 2009 03:23 PM

That's correct, as far as I know. A thorough search came up with only this full-zoom solution. But are there sold so few that no-one can comment on it? Bad sign?

Shawn Lam April 10th, 2009 12:12 PM

I tried to get a review unit for my Z5 EventDV review (which included a segment on conversion and replacement lens options for the Z7) but nothing materialized.

I did review most of the Century Optics conversion lenses (telephoto, WA, and fisheye).

EventDV.net: In the Field: Sony HVR-Z5U

Luc De Wandel April 10th, 2009 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawn Lam (Post 1075717)
I tried to get a review unit for my Z5 EventDV review (which included a segment on conversion and replacement lens options for the Z7) but nothing materialized.

I did review most of the Century Optics conversion lenses (telephoto, WA, and fisheye).

EventDV.net: In the Field: Sony HVR-Z5U

Does the Z5 accept the same conversion lenses as the Z7?

Shawn Lam April 10th, 2009 05:00 PM

All of the Z7/S270 lenses are supposed to work with the Z5, except for the fisheye lenses.

Some users have reported problems with getting the 1.6x telephoto lens to lock on the bayonet mount - so that leaves the WA lenses that are out-of-the-box compatible.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-hvr-...-problems.html

Luc De Wandel April 10th, 2009 11:50 PM

Thanks for the info, Shawn. I'll check into the Centuries.

Luc De Wandel April 11th, 2009 12:47 AM

I just checked and found one big disadvantage (besides the price, which is the double of the Raynox's): "allows zoom capability from wide angle to mid-range when using the camera in auto focus mode". I strongly prefer manual focus.

Shawn Lam April 11th, 2009 07:45 AM

Guess you didn't read my review ;-) Have another look at the .75

<<I found the 0.75 to be the most useful; with the lens mounted, I could still focus manually, and I had full zoom-through. The 0.6 was limited to 75% of telephoto, but it worked only with autofocus and added some barrel distortion (curvature).

The 0.55 fisheye is designed for increased barrel distortion and had no zoom-through. Like the 0.6, it could only be used with the autofocus. Of all the conversion lenses I tested, the fisheye was the most fun, as it exaggerates depth; it pulls the foreground closer and pushes the background farther back.>>

Luc De Wandel April 11th, 2009 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawn Lam (Post 1078987)
Guess you didn't read my review ;-) Have another look at the .75

<<I found the 0.75 to be the most useful; with the lens mounted, I could still focus manually, and I had full zoom-through. The 0.6 was limited to 75% of telephoto, but it worked only with autofocus and added some barrel distortion (curvature).

>>

No no, I read that, but I was most intrigued by the 0,6. When using the 0,75 I only get 29 mm (35-mil.reference) as a result, which still is not really that wide.
What do you (and others) mean when stating that it 'works only with autofocus'? is it entirely impossible to get a manual focus, or is it just very critical?

Tom Hardwick April 11th, 2009 09:37 AM

Generally single element partial zoom-through adapters require that the camera focuses in the wide-angle macro mode to bring the image sharp. The requirement for 'auto focus' isn't strictly necessary, but letting the camera find focus automatically and then locking that in isn't a bad idea.

When you say you strongly prefer manual focus Luc, you do mean 'locked focus', don't you? You can't realistically manually focus on anything when you have a focal length in the region of 3 mm - everything's in focus all the time, from here to infinity, almost regardless of the aperture used.

Mike - surely Sony's own 0.8x is a fully zoom-through for the Z7.

tom.

Shawn Lam April 11th, 2009 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luc De Wandel (Post 1079315)
What do you (and others) mean when stating that it 'works only with autofocus'? is it entirely impossible to get a manual focus, or is it just very critical?

It is NOT possible to manually focus with the WA lens. Don't ask me why or how the camera is able to focus on something in auto but not in manual. I'm not sure if I had the macro disabled though - so that might shed some light on why auto but not manual.

Mike Paterson April 13th, 2009 03:17 PM

As far as I'm aware Sony doesn't produce an adapter for the Z7 but I'd love to be corrected.

Luc De Wandel April 14th, 2009 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Paterson (Post 1088772)
As far as I'm aware Sony doesn't produce an adapter for the Z7 but I'd love to be corrected.

I found this for the 270: Sony VCL-HG0872. I presume it will fit on a Z7 too?

Mike Paterson April 21st, 2009 09:37 AM

I thought I had read something about the Sony WA not working so I did some checking - the Sony VCL-HG0872 does not fit the Z7. Same thread size but the thread isn't deep enough. The (optimistic) salesperson I spoke said "..it works fine, it just keeps falling off.." Stupid Sony. So the Raynox remains the only zoom through option I know of. It's actually lighter than the Sony, although it doesn't look it. I might get one if I can find a good price. Will report back if I do.