Advice on buying a Camera light? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old June 26th, 2009, 09:12 AM   #31
Major Player

On the Comer 1800, how exactly does the battery get connected to the light? Does it come with something like the Switronix does where it can mount to the handle? Also, on the picture it looks like there is a dimmer, yes or no?
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2009, 09:22 AM   #32
Trustee

The Comer 1800 has a recessed battery compartmant on the back of the light.

So the battery simply attaches to the back of the light. Keep in mind that this does increase the weight of the light. So if you use the largest Soy style battery NP970 it will be hefty. I attach the light to the cameras handle via handle bracket, so the light is centered over the middle of the camera, and balances nicely.

If you mount the light on the front of the camera, it tends to make the camera front heavy.
Not a big deal if you shoot on a tripod or shoulder type support like my DV MultiRig
Old June 26th, 2009, 09:35 AM   #33
Major Player

Thanks Michael. Do you need to use the large battery? That's another thing I like about the Switronix, you can use the small battery for the entire night. I also like that the battery mounts on the camera handle for weight distribution. Does the Comer have a dimmer? There are definitely times I can use a little more light.
Old June 27th, 2009, 02:57 AM   #34
Trustee

The sony LBP come with a battery adapter. I hook that onto the LBP and mount it in front of the EX1. The cable goes to my belt whereby the F970 is connected.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2009, 08:49 AM   #35
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Morse View Post
Thanks Michael. Do you need to use the large battery? That's another thing I like about the Switronix, you can use the small battery for the entire night. I also like that the battery mounts on the camera handle for weight distribution. Does the Comer have a dimmer? There are definitely times I can use a little more light.
For the Sony LBP or the Comer 1800 light I don't use the largest battery but rather the middle of the road size, which is the Sony NP-F770. It's smaller, lighter, and as far as I can tell should last you almost an entire days shoot.

I used this batter and a Comer1800 light at a 13 hour shoot yesterday. I used the light about 6-8 hours, and only changed the battery once. The only reason that I changed the battery though was because I didn't know how much time I had left on it, as I didn't want to risk having the light die when I needed it most. I had already used the light for 5 hours at this point.

The only thing that I like about the Sony HVL light over the Comer1800 is that the Sony HVL light has a battery indicator that lets you know how long you have on your battery run time.

And yes the Comer does have a dimer knob on it. This also serves as the power switch.

When dimmed as low as it will go, the light output is reduced to about 5%.

In case you lissed it, I posted a quick comparison of the Comer1800 light vs. the Sony LVP light on my blog. Comer 1800 LED Light vs. Sony HVL-LBP LED Light
Old June 28th, 2009, 07:17 AM   #36
Major Player

I appreciate the feedback. I'll probably give one a try
Old July 2nd, 2009, 11:16 AM   #37
New Boot

I recently purchased the Comer 1800 from lacolorshop (Taky Cheung) as well and am very pleased. Having owned and used the Sony 10/20w and the Sony HVL-LBP, the Comer is definitely a superior light, in both power, color temperature and spread. I think most of the people who have ordered it are surprised by how much light it puts out with only 20w of power consumption. It seems like the best value out there for an on-camera LED light.
Alex Goldshteyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 04:12 PM   #38
Tourist

How is the Comer 1800 on a very small camcorder? I am looking for a good general purpose light to use with a Panasonic HDC-TM300 but am concerned about the size and weight of this light for a camera that is only 2.8" (l) x 5.6" (w) x 2.8" (h) and weighs only 13.6 oz.

Is there a better sized light for a small camcorder like this that will give decent lighting output? Granted the low light capability is decent, but if I am somewhere that a light is needed, it would be nice to have a good quality light.

Thank you!

-David
David Gelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 04:17 PM   #39
Inner Circle

David, Comer 1800 light might be a bit too big for small cameras. Or you can mount the camera on flash bracket.

Otherwise, Comer 900 is a good small light. It is very bright with all the advantages of 1800 light with barn door, diffuser, condenser, 4500K color temp. The only limitation is it doesn't have a dimmer switch. It only has 2 level of brightness control.
Taky Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 06:33 AM   #40
Major Player

Is the Comer 900 battery fitment the same as the 1800, ie battery fits in recess on the back of the light ?
Old October 7th, 2009, 09:50 AM   #41
Inner Circle

Colin, yes the battery is slided in at the back of the Comer lights, both Comer 900 and Comer 1800.
Old October 7th, 2009, 01:55 PM   #42
Major Player

Thanks Taky, will be in ordering in the near future

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270