Advice on buying a Camera light? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old June 17th, 2009, 03:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Advice on buying a Camera light?

Hi, I was looking at buying a light for my camera? I have been looking at these two the Paglight C6 Lighting and IDX X3-Lite. Now for me I don't drive and I try and take the least amount of kit on a shoot....

Now the pag light I have seen and straight away the BIG battery scared me, I have only seen the IDX X3 online. I have since came across the Litepanels Micro Lite Kit and watched a wee video on Mitcorp/Creative Video website.

I have no experience of lights on board a camera and just wanted to see where people stand on this. All I am looking for is...

1) A lightweight product.
2) Long battery life.
3) Reasonable cost for any other accessories - bulbs barndoors filters etc.

any help is most appreciated.
James
James Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 04:51 PM   #2
Major Player

Do you use a Z7 or S270?
Gabor Heeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 05:09 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I forgot to say, the Z7.
Old June 17th, 2009, 05:43 PM   #4
Major Player

If you go to the lighting forum there will be a lot of info on lights. I use a Swit LED light which I love. I've had it for well over a year now and I'm happy with the light output. It also uses the same batteries as your camera.

http://www.swit-battery.com/swit2006...ductdetail.asp
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2009, 06:16 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I use on my Z5 the following:
Litepanel Micro | Stonehead Cut
Gives a very nice light.
Dirk Pel
Dirk Pel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2009, 01:10 PM   #6
Major Player

I have one bit of advice. Make sure the light is for 16 x 9 formatted cameras. The only time I have used an on-camera light recently, I used a friends Sony light because it used the same batteries as the camcorder. The light was really for a 4 x 3 camcorder and I wound up with a hot spot in the middle. The sides were too dark. I didn't like the look at all.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2009, 04:50 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks for all the help on this, I did not know of this 16x9 issue so I will look into that whatever light I choose? I am glad I asked as every little tip helps and the Z7 for me I needed to ask as with never buying a light before I wanted to check.....

Thanks again guys?
James
Old June 18th, 2009, 07:27 PM   #8
New Boot

Greg, would you recommend a particular light for 16x9?

Thanks!

Raul
Raul Barcelona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2009, 08:19 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Laves View Post
I have one bit of advice. Make sure the light is for 16 x 9 formatted cameras. The only time I have used an on-camera light recently, I used a friends Sony light because it used the same batteries as the camcorder. The light was really for a 4 x 3 camcorder and I wound up with a hot spot in the middle. The sides were too dark. I didn't like the look at all.
if the Sony light you were using was the 2 bulb 10/20 then that was the problem since that light has one of the hottest centers I've ever seen. I've used Bescor and Anton Bauer Ultralights with 16:9 format and not had any kind of problem so in a sense I am agreeing with you but it's hard to generalize.
The only problem with the LPMicro (I've had one since it first came out and love it) is it is a bit under powered but for me it's not a big deal since I still shot SD. Sony PDs- king of low light-but since HD/HDV needs a bit more the LP Micro might be a bit underpowered.
Old June 18th, 2009, 10:17 PM   #10
Major Player

Although for sure not a lightweight option I would seriously consider the Sony HVL-LBP if I was you. Some B-brand made alternatives (e.g. Comer) are on the market as well. For my S270 I bought this light because I could feed it directly from the camera. But, it does take the L-series batteries as well.

LW 1200 Ledlamp 6V/12V
Gabor Heeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 03:23 AM   #11
Major Player

Same as Gabor: I have the Sony LED-light and I'm very enthusiastic about it, although it is quite heavy and large. It's lighting power is fantastic and the battery drain is minimal. I only regret that the tungsten filter is not the flip-up type, but a flimsy and vulnerable gel foil.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 05:13 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I bought a PAG Light C6 a few months ago and it's working well. I mostly film weddings with the Z7 and it's good for the waltz where the lights are mostly turned down.
Geoff Schatzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 05:55 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Hi Geoff, but if I am right the Battery is rather big and bulky, that was the issue with the C6 kit that put me off? as I don't drive the kit I am already carrying around is quite heavy and I dare say I ain't got everything so I may have to really think hard on this one.....

But I do appreciate all the feedback so far, good to hear peoples opinion I am glad I asked now.

James
Old June 20th, 2009, 06:50 PM   #14
Major Player

Again, the Swit light is great and is does cover as much of a 16:9 as others when you use the diffuser. I have not seen a light yet that fully lights the side of a 16:9 completely. Everyone I've seen has a slight darkness on the sides. The Sony lights are good (I own one) but they're cheap and the main thing is they don't have a dimmer.
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2009, 12:57 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Morse View Post
The Sony lights are good (I own one) but they're cheap and the main thing is they don't have a dimmer.
The HVL-LBPA LED-light from Sony does have a dimmer, but it's far from cheap, I'm afraid.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270