Rode NTG-1 versus standard Z7 mic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old July 14th, 2009, 02:05 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Rode NTG-1 versus standard Z7 mic

Hi Guys,

Thinking of investing in a Rode NTG-1 for my Z7.

Is it really any better than the standard mic?
Old July 14th, 2009, 02:23 AM   #2
Trustee

To be honest I have both and my preference for camera mic is the stock sony, it sounds very good and is nice and small.

I have done interviews on it and so long as you follow the no more than 4 feet away rule then you will get good results from it.

I have also done test side by side and there is little difference between the two and the sony has a little bit more sensitivity.

I now have a panasonic HPX301 and have put the sony mic from my S270 on it as I like it so much.

I have also taken a rode WS6 and cut it down to size for the sony mic, you can do this by removing the rubber ring, cut about two inches off and then glue the rubber ring back on with evo stick. It is then the correct length for the sony mic and does not cast a nasty shadow when using a camera light which is what happens with the NTG-1.

I do use the NTG-1 but in situations when I cant get close enough with the camera mic, e.g. an interview set-up, it also has a rode WS6 on it and I use the rode pistol grip.
Old July 14th, 2009, 02:26 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Gary,

I do a lot of run and gun stuff. One man band.

I was hoping that the NTG-1 would be more sensitive than the standard mic.

Is that what you're saying?
Old July 14th, 2009, 02:13 PM   #4
Major Player

I used to use a NTG-1 on my Z7 for a long time, until I took a side by side comparison & they sounded pretty close to me in my ears (granted I'm no audiophile, so I'm not the best source for mics), but I found that the Sony was a little louder / more sensitive.

I now just use the Sony mic and I sold the NTG-1 to help pay for a MKH-416.
Old July 14th, 2009, 02:23 PM   #5
Trustee

Nope I find the sony more sensitive and it is ideal for run and gun, sony have improved the mic sensitivity for the Z7/S270 and I use it all the time for close up work.

Have a look at Craster on the www.inortheast.tv site there are some vox pops with some scottish people two thirds of the way through. That was done on the stock sony mic Z7 about four feet away from them in light wind outside.

Also listen to all the audio for parties and barn dances on the pub web site - 14-4-2009 all the audio was done on auto with the stock mic.
Old July 14th, 2009, 02:52 PM   #6
Regular Crew

That's interesting.

I would have thought the Rode to be better.

Almost disappointed!
Old July 15th, 2009, 07:04 AM   #7
Trustee

Dont be disapointed SONY make some very good mics and my main mic for stereo wildtrack and spot fx recording with the D50 is another sony stereo M/S mic : Sony ECMMS957 Digital Microphone - variable angle: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

I have also used this when I need a smaller M/S mic :Sony ECM-MS907 Digital Microphone: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

And both have been used on every TV drama I have done over the past 18 years, the 957 did all my wildtrack and spot FX recording on The Bill with a mini disc recorder.

The rode is fine too and good value for a budget short shotgun but the mic that comes with the Z7 is designed for use with it and is very good as I have said.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270