HELP! Need Timecode on TAPE AND Card!? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old August 6th, 2009, 09:44 PM   #1
Inner Circle

HELP! Need Timecode on TAPE AND Card!?

Using a HVR-MRC1 Recording Unit attached to the back of a borrowed HVR-Z5U. I cannot for the life of me, figure out how to get TIMECODE to show up in the viewfinder or on the tape (I'm recording in DV mode on tape - AVI mode on the card). I can see the timecode on the back of the HVR unit running - but nothing in the viewfinder, or on the tape itself.

I've poured over manuals to both devices, and can't hit on the right combination of settings - I seem to be missing something.

ON the Camera Menu I have it in DV MODE (scan type 60 -this is for broadcast and matching another camera) EXTERNAL CONTROL to SYNCHRONOUS
On the camera menu _ on the TC settings I've got the TC RUN and then TC PRESET to ooooo then TC FORMAT to AUTO then TC RUN to REC RUN then TC MAKE to PRESET

On the HVR-MRC1 I have the unit I-Link set to AUTO the SETTING - TC FORMAT set to AUTO

It is my understandting that the HVR UNIT will get the timecode off the camera - which SHOULD be putting it on the tape - BUT NOTHING IS ON THE TAPE. The Timecode numbers do NOT advance in the viewfinder while recording, but the tape and card are recording just fine.

HELP me ObiWan.

A confirmed Canon user - frustrated by Sony menus.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2009, 05:28 AM   #2
Regular Crew

believe i can help here

dont worry - it is recording time code- its just not possible to record dv or hdv without any form of time code.

in the viewfinder, does it display 00 00 00 00 or 00:00:00:00

if its the former, thats user bits, not timecode its displaying. userbits are just extra data you can record on the tape (maybe to denote camera number), but no-one really uses it.

If userbits are diaplyed, timecode will still be rolling on as you record, its just displaying userbits instead of the timecode in the corner.

There will be a button somewhere that'll flick between the camera displaying userbit and timecode. Look for a button marked TC/U-BIT, probably near the play/rewind buttons

hope that helps
Peter Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2009, 08:17 AM   #3
Inner Circle

God Bless You Sir! Yup - did the trick. I couldn't for the LIFE of me figure out why I was recording, but not seeing timecode advance. I had the proper selection INSIDE the menu - but somehow the little button on the VCR control pad must have gotten togled. All is good and I'm off for a long day's shoot.

DVINFONet's vast and unpaid intergalactic research department comes through, once again.

Love this site.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270