Handle Grip help.... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old August 18th, 2009, 02:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Handle Grip help....

Hi I was looking for some Help with my Handle on my Z7E, it wobbles I tried to find a way of making it tighter? I thought before I contacted Sony that I would try here just in case someone could help.

I just feel with my track record with my Z7E I would be best to get it fixed sooner ratherthan later. I don't want to be holding her and it falls out my hand(DON'T THINK THIS WOULD HAPPEN) but can't take the chance....

Any Help is most appreciated.
James
James Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2009, 07:23 PM   #2
Major Player

Wow. I am assuming that you are taking about the top handle and not the handle part of the lens. I had to go get my camera to look at it but I can easily see some screws that are accessible that you could try tightening. I wouldn't send it in unless it is under warranty and you won't be using it for a while. Otherwise, I would try to fix it myself. It looks like there is a small panel in the back of the handle and there might be some screws under that little panel. Plus the obvious ones that are on the top of the body and under the front of the handle. Good luck with that. I have had several Sony handicams and never experienced a loose handle before. Now I did have a tripod mounting plate that let go, once. Anyone need a severly smashed VX1000? I will make you a great deal. It fell off of the tail of a speeding motorcycle. Ouch.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 06:55 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Greg, I am talking about the handle on the lens. When you put your hand through the handle grip(adjust to suit yourself) I am thinking if I take the lens off then maybe I could fix it BUT as I said in my previous post I have not had a great time with my camera.

It is under warranty but I am not really wanting to send it to Sony for the fourth time as they had it for two months the last time?

but thanks for the help I need the Camera to film a Motor Racing event on Sunday, I may Contact Sony on Monday.

James
Old August 19th, 2009, 11:00 AM   #4
Major Player

Don't do what I did with my first BetaCam. I noticed that the lens grip seemed loose. I wiggled the camera a little and the whole lens just fell right off. Ooops. I had the camcorder on my shoulder when the lens headed towards the pavement so it was a pretty good drop. Fortunately, I cushioned the fall a little with my foot and no real damage was done. But bear in mind that that lens was over 2x what a Z7 costs. Major pucker factor there. So first I would make sure that the lens is still firmly mounted to the body. If that is OK, I noticed I can see 4 obvious screws on the lens handle itself, I would try those but I would be surprised it they will help. My guess is that they hold the outside of the handle in place and not the actual mount. Beyond that, you are getting a little adventurous. I might try it myself but I am certainly not going to urge anyone else to try it. Maybe you will be lucky and the lens is just a little loose in it's mount. Good luck James.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 11:41 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Greg, thanks for the help I had tried those screws and as you say nothing? so after Sundays shoot I will contact Sony.

thanks again for your feedback, hope all is well with your camera and accessories as with me I don't touch it unless I can fix it? it's not like building a PC that I can handle(no pun intended)

James
Old August 20th, 2009, 02:39 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Just in case you haven't - have you checked that the locking lens lever (the silver ring which rotates around the mount) is fully tightened? If it's not there can be some play as the lens sits in the mount, which feels exactly like the handle is loose.

If not, good luck with Prime Support - I'm currently going through an ongoing nightmare with them with one of my cameras. So much so that it's put me off buying any Sony products in the future.
Old August 20th, 2009, 04:32 AM   #7
Regular Crew

The camera is all tight at the connections, you mention. I can only imagine the time you have been given as with what happened to me I informed Sony my next purchase from them will be the extended warranty but no hurry for anything else. so sorry to hear that I am not alone.

James
Old August 22nd, 2009, 03:35 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Update: I have fixed my Camera or it fixed itself.... I took of my Lens second time I have done this, once I put the lens back on everything was fine.

I am glad she does not need to go in for repair, I thought I would just put up a post to say.

James
Old August 22nd, 2009, 04:20 AM   #9
Major Player

In that case, you have been very lucky that your lens hasn't fallen off the first time. Apparently, the bayonet wasn't locked in place and that must have cuased the wobble. I always find that the bayonet system used on still 35 mm camera's is much more reliable than the system used on videocams. I have no idea why they don't adopt the same foolproof, self-locking system that has been used for ages now on 35 mm. still cameras...
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270