DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/)
-   -   Compact Flash 'Format Error' (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/464919-compact-flash-format-error.html)

Matt Bigwood October 2nd, 2009 11:00 AM

Compact Flash 'Format Error'

I was shooting with my Z7 today, recording (thankfully) on tape and compact flash. I noticed the LCD display flashing 'CF' whilst recording and I noticed an error message on the compact flash unit saying 'Format Error'.

I've put the card into the PC and it's saying something like 'drive K is not formatted, format now?'. I've clicked no, but I wondered if the files are easily recoverable from the card, otherwise I'll just capture the tape.

BTW, I was recording in DV and on a 32GB Kingston card (133x write speed).

Matt

Richard Alvarez October 2nd, 2009 11:31 AM

I suspect that you had deleted the previous files from the card, via your PC? Sometimes when I do that, the card will read 'format error' and needs to be reformated before it will record correctly.

Matt Bigwood October 2nd, 2009 02:05 PM

No, I had formatted the card before the recording. I had recorded a number of files on the card until the error occurred.

Stuart McAlister October 3rd, 2009 01:27 AM

Had you formatted the card in the Z7 card slot or on your PC?

Matt Bigwood October 4th, 2009 04:36 AM

I had formatted it in the Z7.

Stuart McAlister October 4th, 2009 04:44 AM

Mmm ...

Well your card sounds like a UDMA (133 speed) and you formatted in the Z7.

Do you use the card for anything else? When you look at the card on your PC, are there any 'locked' or 'protected' files on it?

The camera link is 'on' (when mounted on the Z7)?

Does the Kingston card come with a 'retrieval' software package?

Stu

Matt Bigwood October 4th, 2009 12:34 PM

I've got a felling it's a bad card. I've only used it two or three times before I had the problem. It didn't come with any recovery software, and when I tried a (free) generic recovery program it said the media was too badly damaged to recover the files.

The card has only ever been used in the Z7 and formatted in the Z7 too.

Stuart McAlister October 5th, 2009 02:01 AM

Matt,

Fair enough. Depending on how long you have had the disk, you could always return it for a refund or an exchange.

Just as an idea of a replacement, I have a pair of 16Gb UDMA Lexar cards (with a Lexar reader). It comes complete with a software retrieval package and most popular internet resellers stock these items.

Let us know how you get on.

Stu

Matt Bigwood October 5th, 2009 02:37 AM

Hi Stu

Yes, I'm going to contact the retailer to get an exchange. I've got four compact flash cards, a Sandisk Extreme III 16GB, a Kingston 133x 16GB and a Hama 32GB 200x, besides the errant card. They've all worked fine so far and I've shot many hours of video on all of them.

I'll let you know what happens.

Zoltan Lorincz October 20th, 2009 01:39 AM

Kingston 32GB 133x

Hi
I had the same problem But i think it is no problem with the Kingston card just a problem of compatibility. I have used my Kingston card for more then 8 months in my Canon 5D mk II and i had no problems what so ever, and last week i wanted to use with my Z7 and had "Format error". So i think the card is OK but sometime can have a conflict whit the Z7. I will newer use Kingston 32GB 133x in my Z7, but i will use in Canon 5D mk II.

Jon Wilson November 13th, 2009 12:58 AM

I've just been reading this post and thought I offer some of my experiences with CF cards and the Z7. I initially had problems with cf cards that had slow speeds below 300x. I'm know using a 64 gb card that is 500x speed and haven't had a problem. Prior to this card I was using a 16gb card 300x speed which also worked fine.

Harry Christensen November 14th, 2009 06:23 AM

I agree with Jon, speed seems to be a factor. The threshold for success seems to be around 266x. Anything below that has not been reliable for me.

Hedley Wright November 15th, 2009 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Wilson (Post 1446692)
I've just been reading this post and thought I offer some of my experiences with CF cards and the Z7. I initially had problems with cf cards that had slow speeds below 300x. I'm know using a 64 gb card that is 500x speed and haven't had a problem. Prior to this card I was using a 16gb card 300x speed which also worked fine.

What make is the 64gb card Jon? Do you have a supplier please?

Harry Christensen November 15th, 2009 08:38 AM

SanDisk Extreme Pro in 16, 32, & 64 GB.

Hedley Wright November 16th, 2009 10:21 AM

Whooooo - not cheap are they ;)