Shooting to card only? And converting m2t files - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old November 28th, 2009, 11:03 PM   #16
New Boot

Langdon,

I shoot all tapeless all the time, never had an issue. I've shot in 7 different countries and several terabytes of footage, two documentaries and a whole host of smaller videos.

The .M2T files suck to edit. Even on my 8-Core mac, the HDV format is a hog and not good to edit with. I currently use Cineform which you can get for about $100 from their site. Or you can use MPeg Streamclip- this program is solid I've used to convert many, many clips.

Shoot me a PM about settings of a given codec if you want, I can probably help you out. Incidentally, you can get DNxHD codecs for free from their site- DNxHD 36 will help do wonders to your footage if you do any coloring or heavy post work.
Jay Friesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2009, 04:43 PM   #17
Major Player

Hi Jay,
I'm using a Z7 and an S270, both with cards and tape. I found the M2T-files to work OK on my 8-core Mac Pro, until I started multiclip-editing. The hard disk (no RAId-setup) just can't keep up with the datastream of 4 HD-clips. Would converting to Cinéform before editing help in this case? How is the workflow then? I now load my CF-card into a card reader and import the clips in FCP with log & transfer. Works like a charm, except in the multiclip editing business...
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2009, 06:36 PM   #18
New Boot

Offhand, I'd say you're pushing the limits of any non-RAID drive with 4 streams of any sort of media. The best solution would be to set up a striped RAID.

As far as codecs go, I don't recommend anyone edit HDV in the captured form. If not for CPU hogging then quality retention over a long period of time (see here: Cineform Tech Blog Blog Archive Visual Quality Difference Between 10-bit and 8-bit precision)

Cineform is way easier on the processors than the .M2T files but may not solve your problem by itself. I can edit them via RAID 0 over FW400 on my MBP in Adobe - but performance (if you use CS4) isn't great. The best thing I can say is to jump over to Cineform's website and download the demo of NeoScene or NeoHD and give it a shot. They let you have 15 days for free.

The other option is to capture to ProRes in FCP. It's real time, but ProRes will be way better than the .M2T clips for all the reasons above. That option is free too. But again, you're pushing the limits of your disk with any more than probably 2 streams of HD.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270