DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/)
-   -   Is there peaking on the Z7? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/470702-there-peaking-z7.html)

Bob Kerner January 9th, 2010 09:07 AM

Is there peaking on the Z7?

I'm an EX-1 user who now has access to a Z7. Is there peaking for helping with focus?

I can't seem to find a button assigned to this function and the owner says there is none. No operating guide either. Yet in my forum search I've found reference to it. Where is it and does it work like on the EX-1 in that it highlights the edges when in focus?

Thanks

Jonathan Palfrey January 9th, 2010 10:29 AM

I have a Z5 and the peaking option on the Button Assign is just after marker. The Z5 and Z7 are so similar I would have thought that the menus are the same. Hope this helps.

Adam Gold January 9th, 2010 03:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
DISPLAY SET > PEAKING.

You can also assign it to one of your buttons.

Page 78 of the attached file.

Ian Campbell January 9th, 2010 04:51 PM

Hi, Bob . . .

I am both a Z7U and EX1 owner. As others have already shown you, the Z7U also has the peaking function.

Since you already have an EX1, you may find the peaking as offered in the Z7U kind of a disappointment. The Z7U only offers white as the peaking color -- the options aren't as customizable -- and it's harder, I think, to use peaking as easily with the Z7U.

Ian

Bob Kerner January 9th, 2010 08:27 PM

Thanks everyone; in particular, Adam for the pdf.

Ed Mohar May 10th, 2010 11:10 PM

Peaking Question

I remember trying a few cameras at BH in December and my memory is a bit hazy, but is the peaking feature the one where the camera draws out all focus edges in red and the one you're focused on in yellow? Or am I thinking of a panasonic camera?

Lee Berger May 11th, 2010 05:12 AM

You must be thinking of another camera as the peaking on the Z7 sharpens edges when you are in focus, but not in a specific color. The V1 has the option of choosing white, yellow or red for the peaking.

Rob Morse May 11th, 2010 08:40 AM

"The V1 has the option of choosing white, yellow or red for the peaking."

So does the Z5

Lee Berger May 11th, 2010 08:46 AM

Would have been nice on the 7. As Ian noted earlier it's sometimes difficult to see the peaking.

B.J. Hjelholt August 17th, 2010 01:01 PM

Z7 Peaking

I've found the peaking setting is most useful when set to HIGH, as the LOW/MED settings are hard to pickup.

I'd definitely recommend setting one of the assign buttons to this feature (I use Zebra's on Assign 1 and Peaking on assign 2, as most of my shooting is on the fly in constantly changing light conditions and being able to check your clean frame by quickly and briefly shutting off the Zebras and Peaking helps a lot on the Z7)

Cheers,
B.J.

Doug Jensen August 19th, 2010 04:39 AM

I agrree with B.J. The peaking needs to be set to HIGH and that's exactly what I recommend in my Z7U / Z5U training DVD. Vortex Media: VIDEO & PHOTO Tools and Training

Jayasri Hart August 23rd, 2010 12:16 PM

Is there peaking on the Z7?

I have Doug Jensen's DVD and have gone back to it several times. Another good one is Douglas Spotted Eagle's Inside the Sony HVR Z7. Each has his own well-explained reasons for Assign Button function and Picture Profile selections. Helped me configure mine--and change them depending on the project.