DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/)
-   -   Z7 with Alpha Adapter? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/472771-z7-alpha-adapter.html)

Michael Rees February 12th, 2010 08:26 PM

Z7 with Alpha Adapter?

If I get an alpha adapter for my Z7, will it give me the same shallow DOF as a 35mm adapter like the Letus? I mean, isn't the whole point of those adapters to put on a photography lens? And if so, can someone upload a test with the Z7 and the Alpha converter for me to see how it looks? Ohh, and I heard that if you use this adapter it shoots only in 4:3 not 16:9, is this true? Thanks.

Mike Tapa February 13th, 2010 12:25 PM

Hi Michael.

Unfortunately, you will not get shallower DOF by using this type of adaptor because the format is too small.

However, there will be a magnification of the image by 7.2X.
Take a look at some of my customers clips, particularly those of Massimo Uberti.
Shot with a Z7 and Nikon lenses (using our adaptor)

Video Clips

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Zach Love February 22nd, 2010 01:20 AM

Michael, I think nearly everything you stated is wrong. Pleas take this as constructive criticism.

First off please read the difference between DOF & FOV
Depth of field - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Field of view - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Rees (Post 1485448)
If I get an alpha adapter for my Z7, will it give me the same shallow DOF as a 35mm adapter like the Letus?

First off, no adapter out there will be able to change you DOF. The DOF is determined by the length of the lens & your f-stop.

A Letus will give you the save FOV (field of view) as a 35mm still camera.

Quote:

I mean, isn't the whole point of those adapters to put on a photography lens?

Yes. And part of the reason to purchase the Alpha adapter or Mike Tappa's Nikon adapters is that still lenses are much cheaper than video lenses. The stock Z7 lens is 4.4mm to 52.8mm, so if you really want to zoom in on something (bird, moon, what every), you can pick up a 300mm SLR lens for a few hundred bucks & get some great telephoto shots, where you would have to pay a couple dozen thousand to get a 300mm video lens.

(If you put a 52.8mm SLR lens on the Z7 you will get the exact same DOF & FOV as when you have the stock lens zoomed in all the way. If you want the same FOV that a 52.8mm lens produces on a 35mm SLR camera on your Z7, then you'll need a Letus or Redrock.)

Quote:

Ohh, and I heard that if you use this adapter it shoots only in 4:3 not 16:9, is this true? Thanks.

Huh? Who on earth told you that?

The SLR lenses you'll be using are designed to be used on cameras with much larger chips than the Z7, so the image passing through the SLR lens will be much bigger than the CMOS chips & will cause you no worry that you'd have to shoot 4:3 & crop off the corners of the chips.