DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/)
-   -   HDV 4 channel recording and capture issue (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/473279-hdv-4-channel-recording-capture-issue.html)

Alexander Timanov February 20th, 2010 07:19 PM

HDV 4 channel recording and capture issue

Hi everyone.

During multicam shooting my S270 was connected to a mixer through 2 XLR jacks to record line sound. Since I was recording the line I disconnected the mic from channel 1 not to be confused with the inputs. I connected 2 XLR jacks to input 3 and 4 of my camera and set up HDV 4 channel recording. I could perfectly monitor the sound on the screen and heard it in my phones during recording. When time came to capture the tape (and a CF card) to my computer I discovered that there was no sound in m2t captured files, but during tape playback I can perfectly hear them and see them on screen. The sound is on the tape indeed but I can't transfer it to my computer. Vegas 9.0c doesn't see it. I've already gone through manual and camera settings and the only solution is to capture DV (with the help of down conversion, changing inputs 3 and 4 to 1 and 2) and then, having the sound to capture HDV. Any ideas what is wrong? In which way should I dig? Any comments would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Alex

Alexander Timanov February 21st, 2010 04:34 PM

Can anybody help me please?

Jun Galinato February 21st, 2010 06:04 PM

what software are you using to capture? adjust your software so it can capture 4 channels. You are only capturing channel 1 & 2. Use the tape. The CF card might have recorded only channel 1 & 2.

Jun

Alexander Timanov February 22nd, 2010 07:28 AM

Jun, thanks for your answer.

I use Vegas 9.0c HDV capture utility, but I didn't find any options as to 4 channel capture in Pref. As to CF it also playback sound in VCR mode. If I push status button on camera in VCR mode it shows that only channels 3 and 4 were active in both tape and CF.

Jun Galinato February 22nd, 2010 05:12 PM

Hi Alex, if you really want to edit in HDV, you said you can down convert to SD and you will get the sound, then do it that way. After that you can capture the HDV version without sound and use the sound from the downconverted video.

Jun

Alexander Timanov February 22nd, 2010 05:49 PM

Hi Jun,

That's what I'm doing right now. But I can't understand the purpose of 4 channel recording then. We can record it but we may not use it, or take it out with video in regular way. What is this for? Very strange as for me. Manual does not even say how I should capture 4 channel HDV. I have no clue why Sony does this kind of stuff?

Anyway, Jun, thank you for your comments and suggestions. If you figure out something please let me know.

Regards,
Alex

Don Bloom February 22nd, 2010 09:20 PM

IIRC to capture the 3rd and 4th channel in Vegas set the capture program to Capture Audio Only. It will require a 2nd pass to get the audio but as I recall and it's been a very very long time since I had to do this, that should take care of the audio capture.

Alexander Timanov February 23rd, 2010 06:28 PM

Dear Don,

Thanks for your answer. As far as I know HDV capture utility in Vegas 9.0c does not have any "capture audio only" mode. It is available only during DV capture. I have already solved a problem, but in a hard way: first dv capture with sound and then HDV without it. But it's unconvenient. Any Sony representatives to answer my question? Guys, thanks for your comments. Appreciate it very much. Still if you figure out something, feel free to post please.

Regards,
Alex

Larry S. Brewer January 28th, 2011 12:05 AM

update 4 ch audio from HVR-s270

Has anyone to date figured out how to aquire 4 audio tracks fro CDF card when recording HDV?

My own method is to acquire 4 audio tracks from tape using HD-SDI and a BlackMagic HD Extreme capture card. The audio is flawless, but no timecode.

Alexander Timanov January 30th, 2011 09:36 AM

Still no luck with me.

Andrew Smith January 31st, 2011 04:37 AM

Might be good to also check the switches on your deck. On mine (a Sony HVRM25AP deck) there is a switch on the front for selecting if you are recording audio to tracks 1&2 or 3&4. Haven't seen if any of the internal menus select playback of either of these sets of tracks.

I do know that if I bought the next model up, it has four audio outputs so that you can play back all 4 channels at once.

For myself, I only ever use 2 tracks per tape when recording. Seems to do it for me.

Andrew