shutter question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old March 4th, 2010, 11:00 PM   #1
Major Player

shutter question

My Z7u when I put my shutter speed to 60, I see a slight banding brown color slowly moving up my screen, but when I crank my shutter to let say more than 170 or if I set it to auto mode the banding disappears. This only appears when Im shooting under florescent situation. Do I need to twick something in the settings to get rid of it? Thanks.

Last edited by Rickey Brillantes; March 4th, 2010 at 11:44 PM.
Rickey Brillantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 01:22 AM   #2
Inner Circle

By default, FLCKR REDUCE (p. 70) should be on, but it doesn't always work. You've discovered the solution -- use a slower shutter speed. Or leave it in auto.
Old March 6th, 2010, 05:26 AM   #3
Major Player

I've noticed this as well and I think it's possibly a bug in the camera that causes it not to sync with certain fluorescent fixtures even when the shutter speed is locked on 1/60. For me the fix has been to switch to auto shutter and back to fixed. The sync problem does not happen every time under fluorescent and therefore requires careful attention to the possibility it may occur.
Old March 6th, 2010, 12:31 PM   #4
Major Player

According to the manual pg 107, This occurs when recording pictures under a fluorescent lamp, sodium lamp, or mercury lamp. This is not a malfunction. This can be improved by changing the shutter speed (p. 31).

But the thing is that I notice it after an hour of shooting and what really sucks is that i cannot use the footage. oh my, oh my! Luckily it's not a paying gig. It's just my son doing his science project presentation at school.
Rickey Brillantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 05:44 PM   #5
Major Player

You are encountering CMOS line by line readout.

50hz FLUO vs 50Hz (~) that dont match 100%

in 1/60 (or higher) the fluorescent does not fill your screen 100% each time and because 50hz dont match the "shadow" part of the image slowly crawls...

uli
Uli Mors is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270