HDV progressive - what is the exact format? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old March 22nd, 2010, 12:29 PM   #1
New Boot

HDV progressive - what is the exact format?

Hi - I've just experimented on a shoot with HDV progressive (even though for some reason we can't work out, the camera still says '1080i' when in 25p progressive scan mode).

Anyway.. can someone confirm what the exact format actually is? ie, is it 1440 x 1080? 1280 x 720? And is it ACTUALLY progressive?

My problem is this: In FCP, the footage is recognised as 1440 x 1080 progressive. But Avid insists it's 1440 x 1080 interlaced.

Which is it?!
Simon Keating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 02:28 PM   #2
Major Player

If you want true progressive then you have to shoot in the progressive scan mode and not in the interlace mode. Go to the IN/OUT Rec menu. Choose the HDV Progressive Scan Type, Select Progressive, and then your frame rate of 25. If you choose the Interlace Scan type you will get 25 fps in an interlaced movie. This allows you to play back on an interlaced monitor or place in an interlaced timeline.

I just shot in the 24 progressive scan mode this weekend. I can't speak for AVID, but from the CF card directly into FCP the result was 24 (23.97) progressive.

Sony HDV is 1440 x 1080, 16:9 anamorphic. I believe JVC uses 1280 x 720.

Last edited by Lee Berger; March 22nd, 2010 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Didn't see the reference to PAL 25 fps
Lee Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 04:37 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Keating View Post
My problem is this: In FCP, the footage is recognised as 1440 x 1080 progressive. But Avid insists it's 1440 x 1080 interlaced.

Which is it?!
The likelihood is that it's psf - progressive, segmented frame.

See Progressive segmented frame - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The frames are progressive - all the lines are captured at the same moment in time - but they then are re-ordered, and transmitted odd lines first, then even, then odd of next frame etc. Obviously, to get back to true progressive it's simply a matter of re-ordering back, the data doesn't get altered in any way - just reordered.

Why bother? It means that progressive video can be carried over a system designed for interlace. Most channels in the UK are designed for 1080i/25. Psf means they can equally carry progressive images, though obviously only at 25fps.
David Heath is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270