MRU Question. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old November 25th, 2010, 06:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

MRU Question.

Hi Guys, I wanted to ask what you have done as a work around to the question below.

Using Final Cut Studio 3 - I record my footage to my MRU, I then use Log & Transfer. I don't see a preview of my clips, to set in and out points. Apple blame Sony and Sony blame Apple. Even though on the Sony's website it states that - the preview area is not available for the M2T file transfer.

information taken from here -

Digital HD Video Camera Recorder - Memory Recording Unit

I moved from FCP 5 to 7 and thought I would be able to do this using Log & Transfer and was told I would be able to take my clips in as Apple Pro Res. I can't do both of these in FCP..... I don't dig into my Final Cut, so if it don't work I kinda leave it and that is why I am asking now.

In reality as I don't know of any other method and Sony could not help, in order to import my clips with the in & out points of my choosing and as Apple Pro Res I have to use Mpeg Streamclip or Clipwrap.

The Only downside I have seen in this method and not knowing how to fix it is, I lose one of my Mono Audio Channels as my Radio Mic and Shotgun mic become a stereo channel, I lose the function of adjusting the levels independently.

Could anyone offer any assistance, or what you have done as a work around.

Thanks
James
James Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2010, 05:18 AM   #2
Major Player

Here are two work arounds you might try:

1. Use Compressor to transcode your clips. Log and Transfer into FCP as HDV. Then locate the files on your scratch disk and use Compressor to transcode to ProRes. Compressor allows you to mark in and out, to only transcode your desired portion of the clip. Once you have transcoded you can toss the original HDV clips. Compressor should maintain your dual mono tracks.

2. Use the Modify Menu in FCP. If you transcode using MPEG Streamclip or Clip Wrap you can convert the stereo audio into dual mono tracks on the timeline. Once you place a clip on the timeline go to the Modify menu and uncheck Stereo Pair option. The tracks will still maintain their left and right pans, but you can center pan the clips in the Modify Menu. Choose Modify > Audio > Pan Center (or Control + . ). You can apply this modification to all your selected clips at one time on the timeline.

Good luck with your project.
Old November 27th, 2010, 03:56 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Lee, Thanks for your help. I will try these options and see how I get on. I had seen the Stereo Option a while back, I lost it as I said before I don't go digging into Final Cut. I would not know where to start in fixing her.

I did have a copy of Final Cut assistant, lost it when I formatted my Machine. Now you can't get it, I have been searching.

Thanks Again.

James
James Cairns is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270