DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/)
-   -   Mixing Z7 and 550D footage (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/488691-mixing-z7-550d-footage.html)

Matt Thomas December 9th, 2010 12:04 PM

Mixing Z7 and 550D footage

For a upcoming short We wanted to film a 2 camera shoot with a 550D and Z7 and just wondered what would be the best way of doing this?

The 550D will be used for close ups while the Z7 would be used wide shots and more complicated moving shots.

Thanks for any replies.

Keith Forman December 12th, 2010 10:55 AM

You're going to end up with wildly differently looking video. The 550 will probably overheat after a few minutes. It is not designed for that type of long shooting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Thomas (Post 1596712)
For a upcoming short We wanted to film a 2 camera shoot with a 550D and Z7 and just wondered what would be the best way of doing this?

The 550D will be used for close ups while the Z7 would be used wide shots and more complicated moving shots.

Thanks for any replies.

Matt Thomas December 13th, 2010 06:21 PM

I believe your exaggerating saying it would overheat after a few minutes. I've shot for a good couple of hours in the sun during the summer and it didn't overheat, the only time my 550d has overheated was when I was filming a live indoors event (also during the summer) which was handheld, so holding it was a big factor to heat build up.

I appreciate what your saying that it's not designed for long shooting, but a lot of people have made shorts on 550Ds, 7Ds, 5Ds etc and the footage could result in not fitting together well. I'm probably go out and test some settings (try changing picture styles (550D) and picture profiles (Z7)) and hopefully with a bit of grading it might not stand out too bad.

Thanks for replying though.

Greg Laves December 14th, 2010 07:53 PM

Obviously, different cameras have different color characteristics. I think most Canons seem to have pretty saturated reds and oranges. But I would think you can make them look pretty similar with a little work. Maybe Keith was referring to the 12 minutes per video clip limit that Canon has built into their DSLRs. The 12 minute limit is a safegaurd to keep the cameras from overheating. I know I have hit the 12 minute limit while recording on a 5D Mk II and resumed recording immediately with no issues.

Keith Forman December 14th, 2010 07:58 PM

Matt,

I too have both cameras. (actually several of the Z cameras). I can't see a situation where I could use both for the same event. The 550D is great for more artistic situations-either controlled or b-roll. Also the 550 does not shoot in interlaces mode. I shoot almost all my event with two or more cameras but never with the 550. I've had the overheat light go on the 550. It has never shut down but the image does start to degrade.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Thomas (Post 1598263)
I believe your exaggerating saying it would overheat after a few minutes. I've shot for a good couple of hours in the sun during the summer and it didn't overheat, the only time my 550d has overheated was when I was filming a live indoors event (also during the summer) which was handheld, so holding it was a big factor to heat build up.

I appreciate what your saying that it's not designed for long shooting, but a lot of people have made shorts on 550Ds, 7Ds, 5Ds etc and the footage could result in not fitting together well. I'm probably go out and test some settings (try changing picture styles (550D) and picture profiles (Z7)) and hopefully with a bit of grading it might not stand out too bad.

Thanks for replying though.