DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/)
-   -   Sony broke my Z7? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/489093-sony-broke-my-z7.html)

Wayne Dear December 18th, 2010 07:39 PM

Sony broke my Z7?

Greetings again,

After months of issues with this unit and the issue I had in the other post of the pixelated picture when a flash goes off, well after they had the camera for 7 weeks, they replaced the Main Board and Coaxel Cable in the unit.

So I take the unit out of the box, go to do a small job for a friend, and find that half the buttons do not function.

Is there a default reset button for this unit, to reset to factory settings? I looked through menu options could not find anything.

Anyway, I go to zoom on the handle, and it does nothing, its on variable, not fixed, and where you slip your hand into the unit, that zoom works, but' when i zoom in, it automatically zooms back out, and my remote unit plugged into the lanc connection does not zoom either, or focus, only record lamp works, "light" as recording does not seem to work either, light comes on, but the record timer sits at 00:00:00:00.

After finding this out, they had it in on auto settings, so I switched to manual, and nothing happens, no manual control either, also the shot transition buttons are not working..

They said they fully tested this unit before posting back to me, im like really annoyed now, this is costing me money as I am having to hire a camera at present because my $9,000 unit has been broken for months.

I will be asking they replace this unit, its beyond a joke now imo, im just really upset at the moment, I cannot use my secondary camera as it does not have HDV options.

I spent a good hour playing with settings, and did not get anywhere.

Im stumped and have just about had it with Sony.

Cheers

Allan Black December 18th, 2010 07:50 PM

Bad scene bix .. hope there's still some warranty time left. Date and keep all the docs of course and get some names if you can.

Unfortunately the Xmas break might slow things up but if you bought it in Albury the shop might come to the party. Good luck.

James Cairns December 18th, 2010 10:08 PM

Good Luck with all that Wayne, Sad to hear that the level of Prime Support and problems arising from using this service are the same here in the UK well my experience anyway.

The worst one was when they lost my MRU....This is why I told Sony my next Camera will not be from them and sadly me ending a 15 year relationship as a customer?

James

Wayne Dear December 19th, 2010 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allan Black (Post 1599912)
Bad scene bix .. hope there's still some warranty time left. Date and keep all the docs of course and get some names if you can.

Unfortunately the Xmas break might slow things up but if you bought it in Albury the shop might come to the party. Good luck.

I bought this unit through Tasman AV in Melbourne, and recently it was in melbourne to be fixed under warranty for the pixel issues, and they replaced lens in a "hope" to solve the issue shot. But it didnt work obviously, so I asked Sony to fix, they had me ship it up to there sydney office, and thats what happened above lol.

Ya I will wait untill the new year, allthough I will email them tommorow to inform them of there fab job they did at repairing it, maybe they did fix the intial problem, but did not follow the instruction manual in how to put it all back together, so far out of sending it to melbourne and Sydney, its been 10 weeks out of action, im guessing another 4 weeks lol.

I think I need to speak to someone who can actually fix this issue, what is Sony's replacement policy? I will be asking that they do that.

This whole process has been a complete fail on Sony's part sadly.

Hmm what camera will I buy next. Not Sony.

Luc De Wandel December 20th, 2010 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne Dear (Post 1599909)
..., but the record timer sits at 00:00:00:00.

When the record timer sits at '00:00:00:00. it usually means that you haven't set the counter to timecode, but to user bits. Try changing it to timecode.

Adam Gold December 20th, 2010 04:07 PM

Only if it's missing the colons, so 00 00 00 00 .

Wayne Dear January 19th, 2011 12:44 AM

Sony could not fix the issue, they had software issues with the camera after they replaced the main board in it, apparently the software for the camera was not loading properly, which caused all the buttons to not function and do weird things. So I dont even know if the original fault was fixed.

Anyway, after many months of stuffing around, they finally agreed to send me a replacement unit, which I will have tommorow.

I lost alot of money from this, and am looking at a new camera and will keep the HDV-Z7P as backup, I do have a couple older cameras, but they are not widescreen unfortunetly.

Now to go with Sony or another brand.... Thing is I like Sony's gear, when it works the way its meant to, they are great.

Cheers