DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/)
-   -   Should I be capturing Pro Res or HDV? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/489145-should-i-capturing-pro-res-hdv.html)

Alan Jones December 20th, 2010 02:35 AM

Should I be capturing Pro Res or HDV?

So I've read a lot on here about whether to capture HDV from my Z7 or transcode to Pro Res but I'm still a bit confused. I'm working on a documentary and the hope is that it might be broadcast. If I capture as HDV and have my render set to pro res and then need to send my finished edit to color will it be fine or will color not like that? I know color doesn't like working with HDV.
Also does all of this have any bearing on final output? I don't want to get to the end of the whole editing process and someone tell me I should have done something differently.
I am just getting a bit confused about the different codecs at different stages I think!
This is the first time I'm posting on here so hope this all makes sense.

Claire Buckley December 20th, 2010 05:24 AM

Hi Alan.

If indeed you are shooting with a view to broadcast, then you need to discuss your project with the intended broadcaster as to what their delivery requirements are.

In the past my UK-based commissioning editors gave good advice and referred me to their technical people first (assuming they bought into your pitch and they couldn't plagerise your idea). Your contract will stipulate their required delivery. However, I think you might need to secure the broadcast deal first (selling the idea and generating presales) if you intend your work to be published further afield, then you can match the technicals to the required delivery.

Personally, I would not shoot in HDV if your project is aimed principally at the broadcast market (especially in the UK) unless the subject demands a low profile and involves difficult (limited space) locations.

Having said all this, some cable and satellite channels might feel this is acceptable dependant upon the content.

Nowadays I shoot principally for DVD where HDV is very acceptable, but broadcast will require upping the recorded bitrates to at least 50mbps or higher and the use of 4:2:2 colour space.

Good luck with your project.

Alan Jones December 20th, 2010 09:24 AM

Thanks for replying Claire. I know it's not an ideal way of shooting but it's all we have so it's what we've got to use. I was recently talking to a camera man who had just finished filming a documentary for the BBC and he'd used a Z5 for it so I think it is possible if the content is there.
We're shooting the film because we really want to make it. It's the first time we're making something of this length and if it gets taken up or if anything comes from it then great. We just thought we'd get on and do it and it's been a fantastic learning experience so far!

Claire Buckley December 20th, 2010 02:53 PM

The following may help for the future:

BBC - Commissioning - Producing High-Definition TV

Good luck.

Alan Jones December 21st, 2010 10:26 AM

Cheers Claire! Had a good read of it.