Compact Flash Cards? Best One.... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old December 20th, 2010, 05:29 PM   #1
New Boot

Compact Flash Cards? Best One....

Hi All, in being New to the Z7, I am currently using tape. But looking to start using the MRU, I see it is recommended to buy really fast ones.

I had a look to see what fits my pocket, I found these on ebay,

EXTREME PRO COMPACT FLASH CF 32GB 32G 600X 90MB on eBay (end time 18-Jan-11 14:04:26 GMT)

I am a bit confused as the price is really low, I believe they are not exactly what they say they are, when you see the Price from Warehouse Express -

SanDisk Extreme Pro 32GB 600x UDMA Compact Flash (SDCFXP-032G-X46) - Warehouse Express

What I wanted to ask do I get a 16GB or 32GB CF Card, my budget is tight, I would love to get the one off ebay, but?

So any advice on Capacity and speed would be great.....

Steven.
Steven Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2010, 05:51 PM   #2
New Boot

C/f

Hi Steven, Welcome to the world of z7 s, a wonderful camera, I use mine for Weddings , every thing really,

Like you I used tape at the start as well, but the C/F cards are a great back up and works fast to download.

I use pretec. 32g, speed is 233x and works great

Joe
Joe Boland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2010, 06:33 PM   #3
Inner Circle

The Sandisk cards are great but I'd be wary about eBay and one priced so low... could be a counterfeit that won't work.

I bought a bunch of low priced cards from a reputable vendor and six out of the seven went belly up on first use. Even though they met Sony's specs they weren't fast enough. Cheap cards are a risk.

Much discussion of this over on the MRC forum here at DVInfo.
Old December 20th, 2010, 07:02 PM   #4
Major Player

I have 2 - 16 gig Transcend 300x cards, a Sony 8 gig and a Sandisk 8 gig. I would love to have a couple of 32 gig cards. But the 16 gigs have done everything I have really needed so far. They give 73+ minutes per card.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2010, 07:06 PM   #5
New Boot

Hi again,

Joe - I had a look into cards and Only went with Sandisk as I don't know many Brands, I have never heard of Pretec? but I think I am correct that they are all just Labels and most Memory is made by Samsung, or was that for SD Cards?

I however saw this one -

any thoughts on this one?

Adam - I did think that and that is why I posted the in my Eyes Correct UK price? where do I find the MRC1 Forum you speak of, I only ask as I have been a member for a month Kid in a Candy store and crying for my Mummy as I am lost in all this. I mean I even forgot I signed up to this site, been really busy with Work & College.

Steven.
Old December 20th, 2010, 07:09 PM   #6
New Boot

Cheers for the update there Greg, I only noticed the post once I had replied, But looks like the Transcend Cards do all right as from what you had mentioned in your Work Flow? 73 Minutes for a 16GB well That is a lot and that's before you bring in the 32GB Cards....

Thanks for That.

Steven.
Old December 20th, 2010, 07:19 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Go here for all the answers you seek:

Sony HVR-MRC1K CF Card Recorder Forum at DVinfo.net

Navigate there by: The Digital Video Information Network > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Tapeless Video Recording Solutions
Sony HVR-MRC1K CF Card Recorder

Browse through the threads and you'll see lots of discussion about what cards to buy.
Old December 20th, 2010, 07:41 PM   #8
New Boot

Cheers for That, I saved it as a Link. Away to Bed now.

Steven.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 08:25 AM   #9
Major Player

I use Sandisk, Lexar , Sony and Transcend cards. They all perform well, but given the price of the Transcends, I bought 5 (16 Gb, 133x) of these and I've been using these for two years now without any problem.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 08:56 AM   #10
New Boot

Hi again, Thanks for the info Luc, since my last post I found this one and as you mentioned Transcend. This looks like I have found the Card for me?

16GB Transcend Premium 400x CompactFlash Memory Card for DSLR Cameras

Price is Good I think also.

Steven
Old December 22nd, 2010, 09:20 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Hi Steven, I have always used Kingston 133x 16GB CF Cards, on the odd shoot I use the free 8GB 306x that I got with my Z7, as I believe faster cards can stop some minor issues that may arise?

But the two cards 16GB & 32GB you mention, I may even go for the 32GB one.

James
James Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2010, 04:27 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Campbell View Post
Hi again, Thanks for the info Luc, since my last post I found this one and as you mentioned Transcend. This looks like I have found the Card for me?

16GB Transcend Premium 400x CompactFlash Memory Card for DSLR Cameras

Price is Good I think also.

Steven
Hi Steven. Personally, I wouldn't spend the extra cash on the 400x cards. As I mentioned, I use the 133x types and they have worked without a flaw ever since I got them.
Old December 23rd, 2010, 06:14 PM   #13
New Boot

Hi Luc, Thanks for your reply. I only mentioned the 400X Cards as when searching this forum and on line. They all say like James mentioned to have at least one faster card, to help out with certain aspects of the Z7 and the Work Flow, if I am reading the posts correctly.

Being new to the Z7, I like to do my homework. I need all the help I can get..... However I see from Amazon that the 133x Transcend 16GB is about £20 and the 32GB is about £40. Luc would you ever purchase the 32GB Cards?

The price difference is not much, but I believe the Card prices now are way cheaper than when the Z7 came out? Anyways I will wait till after the Holidays see what spare cash I have and then order two cards.

That all depends on our waether here in the UK.

Steven
Old December 24th, 2010, 12:27 AM   #14
Major Player

I do not posess a 32 Gb card, because the Z7 in it's highest quality records more than an hour on a 16 Gb card and as I always make a simultaneous back up on tape, I prefer the 16 Gb. Then both media have approximately the same capacity.

I've been using the Z7 for years now, and it is an amazing camera with an awesome image quality. I also own a XDCAM PDW-F350 shouldercam, and the difference in quality is only minor. The only problem with the Z7 is correct manual focusing. The LCD-screen is too small to see if focus is OK, so I had to buy a loupe to attach to it.

By the way: you can also buy directly from Transcend, the manufacturer: http://shop.transcend.nl/ but I see that a 16 Gb - 133x costs 49,40 euros, which is about the double as at Amazon's. Are you sure about that quote?
Old December 24th, 2010, 02:23 AM   #15
New Boot

Hi Luc, here is the link from Amazon. I don't normally buy from them as Shipping can sometimes cost more than the item -

I would google and match this price to the nearest £ with another site, I only thought with the price of the 32GB Cards being that cheap compared to a few years back? I won't be using tape once I start using the MRU.

Am I correct in any way as to the comments on here made about using faster cards to help the Camera, with certain functions and shots (to maintain a steady work flow or save some of the Z7 issues creeping in)

You mentioned on Manual you can get Focus issues, you purchased a Loupe? is that better than a bigger LCD? using Composite or the HDMI? also what are the details on the loupe....

Thanks for the Feedback.

Steven
Steven Campbell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270