HXR-NX5U or the HVR-Z7U at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old December 22nd, 2010, 07:40 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HXR-NX5U or the HVR-Z7U

I"m thinking about getting a new camera next year and I"m debating about the HXR-NX5U or the HVR-Z7U.

I like that the NX5U records a larger variety of framerates (including 720) so I have more options to choose from. I don't like that the camera only records to the Sony memory sticks and a SD or CF writer or hard drive is extra. The Z7 records to tape and CF.

I like that the Z7U offers tape ( I'm still finding it hard to go 100% away from a tape back up) and has a interchangeable lens. I really don't see me changing lens, I"m just worried that if I can't change the lens out and if something happens to it (a scratch, crack, etc) the camera is done.

I guess what it comes down to is AVCHD vs HDV.

Any thoughts or feedback?
Old December 22nd, 2010, 12:38 PM   #2
Inner Circle

There's lots here on the 7Z vs NX5 debate Marty, but one thing's for sure: the Z5 is the very last in the line to record to MiniDV tape, and once that goes (and with it the Z5) HDV will effectively be no more. The Z7 and NX5 are priced right alongside one-another.

The Z7's whole point in being is the interchangeable lens, and the 12x stock is fast throughout the zoom. The NX5's is slower, but the 20x sees much wider and further and is a far more useful range of focal lengths. If you're in the habit of 'smashing lenses' then the body isn't going to work too well either. Forget that as a Z7 argument.

Both of these cameras have a top screen that's pretty useless in sunshine - a fact made all the more painful when you see how good the screen is on the Z1 and little Panasonic baby-cams costing 1/10th of the Z7's price.

SDHC cards are becoming the industry standard and even staunch DSLR manufacturers are moving to it from years of CF adherence.

The Z7 has a neat spirit level, the NX5 has wonderful slo-mo, full HD and GPS. The both have horrible flash banding CMOS chips.

I'd point anyone who needs lens interchangeability at the Z7 (this is not you) and all others at the NX5, which is a more modern camera.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 04:32 AM   #3
Regular Crew

storage

What do you do for hard drive storage and back up for the duration of the project and then long term storage and back up?
Old December 24th, 2010, 06:19 AM   #4
Inner Circle

AVCHD actually uses less HDD space than HDV of course, but for long term, on the shelf storage you could always record HDV from the timeline and keep Mini DV tapes.
Old December 26th, 2010, 05:06 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick View Post

SDHC cards are becoming the industry standard and even staunch DSLR manufacturers are moving to it from years of CF adherence.
Hi Tom,

I'm afraid I have to disagree as far as 'SDHC cards are becoming the industry standard'. As a pro stills photographer (Concertpix' homepage) I have ONLY CF-cards in all the equipment I use, and I sure hope it will stay that way. The flimsy, floppy SD-cards wouldn't survive two shootings in our business. I did some news photography before and also there, no-one will accept SD-cards. The construction of Compact Flash is so much more sturdy and reliable that for rough, professional use, these cards are here to stay.To decide otherwise would be a very bad mistake for camera manufacturers to make.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2010, 02:39 PM   #6
Inner Circle

A bad mistyake - I agree with you Luc, it's just that I see the Z7 (CF) moving to NX5 (SD). The 50D (CF) moves to 60D (SD). The Sony Alphas are all SD and the search for compactness may mean the even flimsier MicroSD card becomes the norm soon.

But CF was first on the scene and in fact was bulky enough to contain a HDD in the early days, remember?

tom.
Old December 26th, 2010, 08:16 PM   #7
Major Player

Tom, you can also see the trend towards SDHC cards in the Nikon camera line up as well. I have a D7000 on order and it takes 2 SDHC cards. In addition to a sturdier build, I would think that CF cards are less likely to get misplaced than SDHC cards. Personally, I am disappointed to see the trend. One positive is that SDHC cards seem to be a little cheaper. I guess a couple of my CF cards that have been dedicated to still photography can migrate to my Z7.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2010, 02:35 AM   #8
Major Player

The still camera's mentioned here are amateur or prosumer models. And so is the NX5. I have never seen any pro using a Sony still camera, so there also we're talking about prosumer stuff. There is no way that professionals will accept SD (or SDHC) cards in their equipment. f I would have to fumble an SD card - in almost complete darkness and in a rush - in my Canon 5D MkII or Canon 1D, it would be damaged in no-time. Same goes for sports, news and wildlife reporters. The fysical shape of these cards is just not up to a rough job. So I'm quite shure they're here to stay for a long time, be it only in professional equipment. Same goes for recording devices, like Nanoflash and Co and pro sound recorders.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 02:25 PM   #9
Major Player

Hi Luc, I agree with you - I have been shooting digital since my original Nikon D1 in 2001 and have always used DSLR cameras with CF cards. However, I get the feeling there is a drive towards standardising the SD card as it allows physically smaller camera bodies. My Nikon D3 has two CF card slots, but the D300S, regarded by Nikon Uk as a pro body, has a CF and SD slot. It will be interesting to see if the D4 or whatever the next pro model is called, uses just CF cards, and whether the D400 retains CF.
Matt Bigwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2011, 05:19 AM   #10
Major Player

Same here: bought the D1 as it came out and thought it was a little marvel. If I see the pics now, taken with that camera, I wonder why I ever got so enthousiastic! That horrible, streaky noise at 400 ISO!

Anyway, I switched to Canon a few years ago because Nikon at that time didn't offer anything as noisefree as Canon did. A year later, the D3 came out and that was perfect for our business (concerts). But I guess I'll stick with Canon now. That said; my earlier 1D already had two slots: CF and SD. As you point out, size matters. But even then I think that the primary card in a real pro cam will always be CF.

I just cannot imagine myself putting a flimsy SD card in my sweaty back or shirt pocket during a concert shoot and no harm coming to it in that hostile environment! Same for sound engineers in difficult circumstances.

But: we'll see. By the time SD becomes a standard, I'll retire...
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270