DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/)
-   -   Focus Advice (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/491055-focus-advice.html)

Steven Campbell February 1st, 2011 10:26 AM

Focus Advice

Hi Guys, being new to the Z7 I was wanting to ask about Focus. The two settings I kind of get and still getting there what switches on or off in Mode A or B.

My main question is which mode is better for an extreme close up A or B or using the Macro? I have had mixed results mostly the Focus not popping like it should, Could anyone offer any help on this.

Steven.

James Cairns February 5th, 2011 05:58 PM

Hi Steven, If I am getting you right. You are looking for the Best Settings for Close Ups, if that is the case two things to check.

1) Under CAMERA SET Change your AE WINDOW to TYPE 2. This will aid in your Focus area.

2) Zoom into your subject as far as you can, focus as best you can if you don't find what you are looking for come back towards wide slightly and find your Focus range, re frame if needed and shot is set....

I never use Macro as I have had some issues with my Z7 and Focus, I always thought it was myself it was the Limits of my Camera and an issue with my Lens.Maybe someone else will shed some light, in case I have provided the wrong answer?

Hope this helps.

James

Steven Campbell February 6th, 2011 03:08 AM

Hi James, Thanks for the advice. I have changed the AE Window setting to Type 2. I will use the method for Close Up's as stated, in fact I think I am going to ask a new question.....

Steven.

Uli Mors February 7th, 2011 05:00 AM

Hi ,

If your object (= face) is closer than ~80cm (er... have a look in the manual , MOD = Minimum Object Distance) or so, you either can move the camera more away (for focussing WITHOUT macro) or switch the z7 to Servo Mode + Macro On. Servo doesnt mean you MUST use autofocus.

I wouldnt use auto focus for closeups - the cam probably tries to focus to the background sometimes - so focussing manual is better.

In Servo + Macro you can go closer than the ~80cm, what can be a help.

I recently shot an interview straight in front of a person, Manual Focus Ring was hard left (80cm) and that was not close enough - the person is not sharp...

OR

Put the lens to 80cm (hard left), switch peaking on and JUST MOVE THAT DISTANCE away from your object that it gets in focus. Could work too without changing from Full Manual to Servo Focus.

Uli

Steven Campbell March 3rd, 2011 07:37 PM

Re: Focus Advice

Hi there Thanks for the Tips. I will look into this, but the Methods mentioned before I have tried and I have also used some settings as a Guide from the excellent Two Disc DVD Mastering the HVR Z7U by Vortex Media.

With all this being so new to me and this year being so crap, I am taking baby steps and I apologise for that.

Steven