MRC-1 cradle burned out? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old September 20th, 2011, 10:16 AM   #1
Regular Crew

MRC-1 cradle burned out?

Have people had issues with the mrc-1 cradle burning out? The part number is actually HVRA-CR1.

Mine stopped working about 3 months ago, I read that plugging/unplugging the unit without shutting down the computer is the reason, is that true?

I read in the HVRMRC1K_OM.PDF manual:

To use this unit, restart the computer or use Disk Utility...

Since the unit doesn't recognize on my system (i7-950 chipset running Win7x64) should I try to reboot, plug the unit in and see if it recognizes it? Or did I fry the cradle (HVRA-CR1) unit plugging/unplugging the firewire hot (system on).

Do they even sell the cradle unit alone? Seems a waste to pay $135 to Sony to bench test a unit that will need replacing or the repair cost may exceed the replacement value. I can always dump data via a cheap $15 USB card reader as I am now.

Thoughts?

Scott Caplan
Scott Caplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2011, 11:24 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: MRC-1 cradle burned out?

It's certainly possible to burn out a FW port by connecting it while the PC is powered up. Many reports and threads about this all over this forum. Which is why the manual says not to do this.

Sure, just use an external reader.

You could buy a new cradle but I suspect you will be shocked by how much they will charge you. (The little mounting shoe alone? The little metal piece with two screws? $100.) You can probably buy a whole MRC1k used for the price.
Old September 20th, 2011, 08:19 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I suspected as much that replacing it wasn't worth it. I see an entire replacement unit from Sony is just under $1000.

The interesting part is when I pull the data off the card with my cheapie reader, the file type is AVCHD (m2T) when I check the file information. When I'd pull it from the old cradle I believe they were always mpeg. No?
Scott Caplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 12:32 AM   #4
Inner Circle

It is mpeg. m2t is HDV. AVCHD would be m2ts or mts. They're all variants of mpeg.

The MRC1k only records what your cam sends to it, which in your case is HDV. In DV mode you can choose raw dv or avi.

A whole new MRC1k from B&H is about $750. You could probably find a used one for about $500 or so. There are a few on eBay in that price range at the moment.

Sony's Direct Parts website has been down all month for retooling and won't be up for at least another week, but lists all the phone numbers and email addresses you could go to for help in getting just a new cradle if you wanted to go that way:

https://www.servicesplus.sel.sony.co...intenance.aspx
Old September 22nd, 2011, 03:16 PM   #5
Major Player

Though if you're just using it for file transfer, I'd highly suggest getting a FireWire card reader.

Though discontinued, I don't think this is too hard to find if you look around for it.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/492648-REG/Lexar_RW034_001_Professional_UDMA_FireWire_800.html
I have the FW800 & the FW400 version. Love them to pieces & they work great with my MacBook Pro. If you have a PC with USB 3.0, then get one of the new Lexar card readers.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 12:13 AM   #6
New Boot

chuck the MRC-1 cardle. Use a USB-3 card reader. Very fast, very simple.
Larry S. Brewer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270