DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/)
-   -   New Sony NEX-EA50EH Announcement (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/510053-new-sony-nex-ea50eh-announcement.html)

Matt Sharp August 17th, 2012 05:15 PM

re: New Sony NEX-EA50EH Announcement

It's at B&H now, $4500.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/887069-REG/Sony_nex_ea50h_Sony_NEX_EA50_Camcorder_with.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Vincent (Post 1748924)
A side step at best, as I'm not sure why ENG gathers wouldn't use either Canon or other Sony cameras that have 50mbs/4:2:2 colour space - I'm guessing it's more of a form factor test run for the next gen of the FS100/700.

It's just a VG20 in a big package, much the same as the HD1000 and MC2000 were consumer cameras with giant bodies surrounding them. This time with a few actual pro features thankfully. The point of this is for wedding and other event videographers that want something that looks more professional. It's not the tool it's who's using it, but when the bride sees her special day being shot with handycams she might freak. That's the basic thought anyways.

John Vincent August 17th, 2012 06:01 PM

It for sure delivers the "Wow" factor....

Yet many wedding guys have been using DSLRs for years now. When my VG20 is tricked out for action, no one questions that a "real movie" is being made.

Some will grab it up I'm sure, but why anyone would buy this over a FS100 (or a Canon XF105 for that matter) is beyond me.

Chris Barcellos August 17th, 2012 06:46 PM

I think the "big camera" is more of a crutch for the insecure shooter than it is to please the client. That excuse should be dead everywhere by this point, and videographers should know how to deal with it. They should be selling their product based on the work they have done and do, not the size of their camera. As far as the client, its just a matter of education that skill and editing are what make the film, not the size of the rig. If your selling point is that you have a big camera, that won't last long in the industry if you don't have the skills to go with it.

Of course, the shoulder mount may be best form factor for the wedding shooter, and that may be the thought in rolling out this camera. I am not knocking that.

Tom Roper August 17th, 2012 07:02 PM

unsubscribed...

Emmanuel Plakiotis August 17th, 2012 08:58 PM

At $4500 is only $300 cheaper than FS100. Even if we assume that Fs100 with the same servo lens would be around $5000, the difference in price is not substantial. If the sensor is not optimized for video as its rumored and without HDSDI, it isn't really that good of a deal. Only the ergonomics look better.
Compared to the $700 A57($1000 with 18-135), which probably shares the same sensor and also sports inbody stabilization, seems a tad expensive as well.

If it was meant as a cheaper alternative of FS100, it should have been around $3500 max.

Matt Sharp August 17th, 2012 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emmanuel Plakiotis (Post 1748945)
Compared to the $700 A57($1000 with 18-135), which probably shares the same sensor and also sports inbody stabilization, seems a tad expensive as well.

The A57 and all other current generation Sony SLTs only have IBIS in photo mode, in video mode they crop in an additional 1.24x and only use digital stabilization. Total crop for an APS-C SLT in video mode is effectively 1.86x, if you turn off steadyshot in video mode it does not eliminate the additional crop.

Piotr Wozniacki August 18th, 2012 12:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki (Post 1748829)
According to Alister here: New Sony NEX-EA50EH shoulder mount 35mm camcorder. Power Zoom lens for FS100 and FS700 |,

- no need for the LANC (but one can be handy, nevertheless)!

Well, it looks like the information on the zoom rocker being integrated with the lens is not accurate; it clearly belongs to the camera body:

Noa Put August 18th, 2012 01:48 AM

Not sure but if you look at the photos there's a button that looks like a zoom rocker on the side of the lens with a "t" and "w" printed, I suppose that's the second zoom function?

Piotr Wozniacki August 18th, 2012 01:55 AM

Yes - but this one is more a "lever" than a proper rocker...

In any case, with the FS100 a LANC controller will be essential (provided the camera has all the electrical connections in the lens mount ready for controlling the servo zoom motor)!

Lee Mullen August 18th, 2012 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alister Chapman (Post 1748871)
No, not rumour at all. Matt was at a product presentation hosted by a product manager from Sony where it was clearly stated that the sensor is the same APS-C sensor as the VG20/NEX5N with the same Optical Filter optimised for a stills camera and as a result similar aliasing and moire levels.

This is a budget camera, better suited to video than a 5D or other DSLR and with pro video features like XLR audio, shoulder mount, a decent well placed EVF etc normally only found on more expensive cameras and a new servo zoom (based on the 18-200mm E-mount kit lens) all for less than £3K. I know many that would probably pay the best part of that just for the lens.

Is it perfect, no, but then there is no such thing as a perfect camera because what's perfect for one person is not perfect for the next, but for many lower budget people I think this will be just what they are looking for. I can see it being very popular with wedding and event videographers as well as schools and colleges etc where they can buy 4 of these for the price of an F3 and getting the ultimate image quality is not paramount.

There is no perfect camera because manufacturers deliberately hold back in an obsolescence form. Crafty.

Lee Mullen August 18th, 2012 03:05 AM

What is there a big deal for Sony etc to go back to what Canon made in the 1990's. ie the Canon EX1/2/L1/2 Hi8 camera, the forerunner to the XL1 which had interchangable lens and a rocker button on the body??

Glen Vandermolen August 18th, 2012 06:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki (Post 1748956)
Well, it looks like the information on the zoom rocker being integrated with the lens is not accurate; it clearly belongs to the camera body:

There is a zoom control on the lens. It may not be "proper," but it sure would be useful on my FS100:

Chris Medico August 18th, 2012 07:13 AM

I've not seen any photos showing the lens zoomed in. Does it extend like the kit lens for the FS100/700 does?

Les Wilson August 18th, 2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalan Salur (Post 1748964)
What is there a big deal for Sony etc to go back to what Canon made in the 1990's. ie the Canon EX1/2/L1/2 Hi8 camera, the forerunner to the XL1 which had interchangable lens and a rocker button on the body??

This is a naive view of the engineering involved. A button is insufficient. Zooming a lens requires a mechanical way to turn the lens mechanism. This is in the form of a zoom motor. The "button" is just a controller. If the motor is in the body, then there must be a mechanical connection to the lens mechanism which requires support by the lens manufacturer in the form of something in the connection or gearing on the ring. That means a body specific version of the lens. Ditto if the motor is in the lens as it appears to be in the new lens. The body must support the electrical control interface on the lens in order for the body's controller ("button") or possibly LANC connection to control the lens motor.

Les Wilson August 18th, 2012 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalan Salur (Post 1748962)
There is no perfect camera because manufacturers deliberately hold back in an obsolescence form. Crafty.

Features cost money. Every feature you enable requires engineering to develop it, test it and maintain it. The more features, the more a camera costs. Additionally, you as a camera owner benefit from a manufacturer choosing model replacement timing and features. It comes in the form of resale value.