New Sony NEX-EA50EH Announcement - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old November 18th, 2012, 08:38 AM   #106
Inner Circle

re: New Sony NEX-EA50EH Announcement

The JVC-HM600 series do not have AVCHD 2.0 so no 50/60P which I think is a problem going forward now. I would certainly like to move to all 60P cameras. With the EA50 you can change the lens for a really fast one if needed. I shoot theatre now with my NX5U and even in the dark theatre shows rarely use above 9 db and since the NX5U lens rams as do lots in this price range it will be at f2.8 to f3.5 anyway. Above 9db the NX5U starts to really show grain so in this regard I think the EA50 will be a lot better than the NX5U for dark conditions even down to its f6 range since it appears to be clean video at 30db which may more than account for the lens. Will really have to see what it turns out to be with production units when they are available. I am sure more lenses will appear too.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2012, 10:38 AM   #107
Unregistered Guest

Interesting. I use an NX5U too. It would be nice if the stock EA50 can do better in low light than the NX5U.
Old November 18th, 2012, 11:12 AM   #108
Inner Circle

It doesn't have smooth gain switching so that may be a little issue for me though. Something I really like on the NX5U.Will have to wait and see.

Ron Evans
Old November 18th, 2012, 03:18 PM   #109
Contributor

I would think filming dance recitals/plays with the EA50 would not be good, since the stock lens ramps up to 6.3 f-stop when zoomed in on dark stage. I use Z7U for stage work, great Zeiss lens for low light, only ramps up to 2.0 (from 1.6 when fully wide). Zeiss lenses for EA50 look pretty expensive. You would have to purchase A-mount adapter and I do not see Zeiss lenses with much of a zoom range. Does the new zoom rocker do 2x on the A-series lenses and keep focus, or is this feature only for E-mount lenses? Does it just snap to 2x, or does it have some kind of zoom range?

Last edited by Stephen Gradin; November 18th, 2012 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Correcting wording
Stephen Gradin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2012, 03:33 PM   #110
Inner Circle

I am not thinking of replacing my NX5U. I think the digital 2x zoom works with any lens as it is a processor effect cropping the sensor. So it should work with the stock lens too. Zoomed in the NX5U ramps to f3.4 with a sensor that is not as sensitive and a lot noisier so gain can't be used like the newer cameras. It will be interesting to see if the ability to use gain more than compensates for the slower lens. My CX700 easily outperforms the NX5U for a clean signal in low light for instance. The CX700 is much cleaner at 21db of gain than the NX5U at 12db the absolute limit I will use on my NX5U.

Ron Evans
Old November 18th, 2012, 11:24 PM   #111
Inner Circle

Hi Guys

Being a newcomer to big sensors, would the camera in a typical indoor scenario with the stock F3.5 lens be a whole lot better compared to my Panasonics with have 1/4" chips and a lens that goes down to F1.9

Just wondering if we are talking BIG differences here considering the very large sensor even though the lens is only F3.5 ....If it makes my HMC80's look silly in that sort of lighting situation then it's really worth looking at. With the 1/4" chips on the Panny My iris would already be open and some gain applied in an ordinary domestic living room...could I expect the Sony to be a lot better???

Nother quickie question ..I see the NEX specs talk about Auto ISO AND AGC ...I'm confused I understand ISO in a stills camera and gain in a video camera ...but both??

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2012, 11:52 PM   #112
Trustee

Does someone make a fast 80-200 for that camera?
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 04:47 AM   #113

What annoys me the most is how both Canon and Sony have gone BACKWARDS regarding interchangable lenses. The Canon Hi8 camera from the EARLY 1990s had INTERCHANGABLE lenses WITH zoom control!!! WHy hasn't this system been retained and upgrade for use with the new large sensor camers both companies are now producing?? Too hard??
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 10:01 AM   #114
Inner Circle

Canon Hi8 cameras used lenses designed for the camera specifically.
Sony's lenses are designed for a wide variety of cameras including their Alpha cameras.
The result is that only a very few lenses designed specifically for this, the FS700, etc will have built in servo zoom control.

BTW no one is locked into the stock lens. Need a faster lens, get a faster lens. That's the point of large sensor interchangeable lens cameras.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 02:19 PM   #115
Unregistered Guest

But we're pretty much stuck if we want a better servo zoom lens that will work on the EA50. At least until Sony comes out with a line of servo zoom lens to choose from.
Old November 20th, 2012, 05:03 AM   #116
Inner Circle

Not going to argue with you Matt. It wasn't a feature I was particularly looking for.
Old November 20th, 2012, 11:10 PM   #117
Regular Crew

Finally decided to join this forum after reading posts for years. Looking into this camera as well. Will be interested to see more reviews as more people get their hands on it and compare it to other cameras out there. Saw this recent footage comparison of this camera and found it very interesting. Thought I'd share...

James Hobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 12:52 PM   #118
Inner Circle

In many respects I found the comments of more value than the video comparison.

I don't doubt there are many people who want to use a large sensor camera to replace a small sensor camera but I personally feel they serve two different purposes even if there's some overlap.

I was much more interested in the comments comparing the EA50 to the Canon 60D. The question that arises, for me, is DSLR vs EA50. If one were going just for "cinematic" one might be inclined to spend just a little more and get the FS100. As someone who does corporate vide and often with horrible time constraints, the EA50 form factor looks to really help. The question is at what cost to quality, if any. More useful in that kind of decision might be comparing it to the Canon 60D using matching lenses. Is it worth the hassle of a DSLR with rig vs the ease of use and flexibility of the EA50. At least that's the questions that come to my mind for corporate use.
Old November 21st, 2012, 01:36 PM   #119
Inner Circle

Interesting comparison of the EA50 vs FS100
I find this of value because it deals with the questions some may have in choosing between the more "cinematic" FS100 or the more ergonomically versatile EA50. In not a case of which is better but what you can or lose when making such a choice.

Sony NEX-EA50 vs. Sony NEX-FS100 (and the Parfocal 3x+ Zoom Challenge) - Streaming Media Producer
Old November 21st, 2012, 02:49 PM   #120
Regular Crew

Fascinating comparison of the FS100 vs EA50. However, he mentions that the EA50 requires +9db of gain to reach the sensitivity of the FS100 which "equates it to 3 stops of exposure". I always thought that +6db is one stop so wouldn't that make it 1.5 stops less sensitive instead of 3 stops?? Forgive me, kinda new with some of this math.

For event/wedding shooting, I'm okay personally with a bit less shallow depth of field in order to have a bit more "play room". Coming from a smaller sensor cam, I think the EA50 will be plenty shallow for my particular run n' gun style so that's okay that it appears a bit less shallow than the FS100.

Obviously the FS100/700 is a great low light cam, but according to the video I posted before, that user didn't experience much noise up through an ISO of 2500, and still good even through 5000. With a starting ISO of 160, doesn't that mean he found it clean through 24db and "surprisingly pretty decent" up through 30db? Again, I may be off in my "ISO vs db" math or not understanding something completely here but that sounds good to me....even if the FS100 can match the EA50's +24db performance at just +15db.

Toss in the slow power zoom lens and I'm all confused on how this will work at an actual event/wedding when I try to push in for a close up during a dark toast or a dimly lit father-daughter dance, etc. but I guess time, and a few more reviews I hope, will tell.
James Hobert is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)