EA50 -- watch this video review - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old December 31st, 2012, 04:39 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: EA50 -- watch this video review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Secrest View Post
Is it just the difference in the sensor?
The main difference between the fs100 and ea50 is that the fs100 has a sensor designed for video and the ea50 had a sensor designed for photo and adapted to be used for video. The fs100 doesn't suffer from moire and aliasing like the ea50 does. The fs100 also gives much cleaner footage at very high gains.

About videosamples you see about the ea50, a lot depends on who uses it and how. It think Alistars review video showed some very nice image's but he only used the stock lens I believe, if you do a planned shoot with different type of lenzes you get this:

The fs100 also crossed my mind but it's 2500 euro more expensive here then the ea50 + then it still has the cheaper 18-200 lens attached and not that new power zoom lens. With that attached to it I almost could buy 2 ea50's for the price of 1 fs100.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 06:12 AM   #17
Major Player

Not to mention the FS100 silly top mounted viewfinder. I'm 5' 6" and sometimes I interview people who are taller than me. Why didn't they put the 50's side mounted VF on the 100?
Old December 31st, 2012, 06:24 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Lee,
I know how you feel. I'm also 5'6" (sometimes I wish it were reversed) and when shooting over a crowd or just putting a camera on my tripod and raising it all the way up, without a side mounted VF or LCD it is a major problem. However lack of height is also a good thing. We can sneak around a bit and no one see's us. ;-)

Chris, Seeing footage from you would be great but I tell ya, I'm locked in on the camera no matter what. I'm only waiting for tax purposes.
Have a Happy New Year!
Old December 31st, 2012, 06:25 AM   #19
Inner Circle

I personally find the viewfinder that attaches to the lcd too large on the ea50, possible to save on cost they just took the one that is supplied with the fs100 and then had to make a adjustable shoulder pad because otherwise you where not able to rest the camera on your shoulder while viewing through that long tube.

I seriously am considering to make that long viewing tube shorter and have seen some videos how to do that, just need to be sure there are no trade offs when doing that. In that way the shoulder pad can stay where it is and the camera comes closer to your body. Now it just sticks out as if your holding a bazooka and paired with another heavier lens I prefer to minimize that distance.
Old December 31st, 2012, 06:38 AM   #20
Major Player

Please let us know how that works out.
Old December 31st, 2012, 12:01 PM   #21
Major Player

Wow, very good thinking everybody.
Yes, I do understand what you say against the FS 100 and for the EA50.

Now for me it's going to be between the EA50 and the Lumix GH3
I don't care about the shape of the machine that produces my video. And the GH3 is a bargain compared to the EA50, if the quality is almost the same or subjectively not the same, I don't care.
If somebody has any good review of the GH3, with footage, please give us a link.
L.
Larry Secrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 12:09 PM   #22
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Larry,

We have an entire forum dedicated to the Panasonic Lumix GH series and I encourage you to check it out and do some research there... the direct link is:

Panasonic LUMIX GF / GH Series Forum at DVinfo.net

I would really prefer to reserve the discussions in each camera board to stay focused on those particular cameras. Thanks for understanding, and Happy New Year!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 01:14 PM   #23
Major Player

Of course.
Larry Secrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 05:44 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Hi Noa

Regarding the loupe tube on the EA-50, were you thinking in terms of keeping the shoulder pad in the closed position rather than extending it?? That would make the camera heaps more compact of course but wouldn't controls be tricky to get to then as they would be quite close to your face??

Maybe a nice mod would be to make the tube so it can be made either short or long?? It shouldn't be too tricky to engineer a tube that can telescope in or out. Any links for that mod if I need it??

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 06:35 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Some more interesting nex ea50 videos appeared:
Look at how much grain the 171 has and how clean the footage on the ea50 is, it looks like a comparable perfomance with my 550d, that's reassuring. It can always be better (like a 5dIII or a sony fs100) but this is sufficient for my use.
and this one
(This one would have been much better if both had the same lens one, comparing a fast prime on the gh2 with a low iso with the stocklens on the Sony at a high iso is not a fair comparison.)
Old January 2nd, 2013, 06:50 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Any links for that mod if I need it??
"http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100/497677-stock-loupe-modification.html"
Old January 2nd, 2013, 10:03 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Hi Noa

Thanks for the link and the clips. I bet a bride couldn't tell the difference between the EA-50 at 18db and the GH2 at 0db... I'm impressed with the gain at all levels even on a slow lens! I reckon even the Sony SEL50F18 would give a very good video at a reception (an F1.4 would be awesome but somewhat expensive)

Now all I need to do is get our snail paced delivery courier to actually make a delivery!! I don't think the camera will make it by my weekend wedding sadly but I do have another the following Saturday in our beautiful South West so that will give me a great opportunity to shoot some extra footage.

Chris
Old January 3rd, 2013, 07:38 AM   #28
Inner Circle

ooh, just got the notification that my camera was send from the store where I ordered so should be here tommorow, I"m excited :) No more checking out vimeo videos, I"ll just collect my own test footage now :D
Old January 3rd, 2013, 08:16 AM   #29
Inner Circle

Great news Noa!

That's quick...Mine was shipped from our East Coast on 28th December and it's STILL in transit.

I doubt whether it will arrive before the weekend so I'll have to use it at my wedding on 12th not the 5th

Keep us up to date!!

Chris
Old January 3rd, 2013, 08:32 AM   #30
Inner Circle

Well hopefully I'll have a hands on demo early next week with CVP and if it ticks all the boxes as it seems to be, I'll be placing my order.

Facial detection and spot focus really interest me as does focus transition - and with the right adapter the possibility of using my canon lenses!

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)