EA50 -- watch this video review at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old October 27th, 2012, 12:39 PM   #1
Inner Circle

EA50 -- watch this video review

My Hong Kong footage is here:

Old October 27th, 2012, 01:11 PM   #2
Major Player

re: New Sony NEX-EA50EH Announcement

"This video is currently unavailable."
Old October 28th, 2012, 09:51 AM   #3
Major Player

It's working for me. Watching it now!
Old October 28th, 2012, 07:25 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark OConnell View Post
"This video is currently unavailable."
That was apparently a youtube HTML5 beta problem. Opting out of the beta testing, which I didn't even know I'd been included in, resolved the problem.
Old December 22nd, 2012, 08:37 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Re: EA50 -- watch this video review

Split out from the announcement thread; embedded player directly in post. Thanks Alister!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 08:54 AM   #6
Major Player

I'm currently "shopping" for a new cam, looking at the Canon C100, the BlackMagic Cam, maybe the FS100 and now the EA50 and I really do NOT like what I saw on this video.

I regret to say that I can get much much nicer footage out of my antiquated Canon XH-A1 that what I saw on this video. Sure, I won't get the same DOF but my colors look so much nicer.

I'm not impressed.
Does this meant that to really replace my XH-A1 I need to aim at the > $ 6500 range?
Larry Secrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 03:27 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Larry I'm curious, what exactly is it that you don't like?
If it's just the colors then perhaps it either the way Alistair had the profile set or your computer moniter is not giving you a proper look. I say this only because I looked at this video onn 3 different computers with 3 different monitors and the colors looked real and proper to me.
The reason I ask is since this camera is now #1 on my list I want to hear others opinions and get a feel for what they don't like about it.
Thanks
Old December 30th, 2012, 04:51 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Alstair's review is spot on. I own the 50 and what he says about the hardware is correct. The color produced by the 50 is outstanding. No problems whatsoever. The system is substantial, not a paperweight in any sense of the word. It's a serious piece of tech that produces quality output in the hands of someone who knows how to shoot. I am very pleased with the hardware thus far.
Robert Moran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 05:22 PM   #9
Major Player

Don,
After carefully read the specs of the cam on BH and other clips I have to say that it must be the way Allister set up the cam.
For me shouts VIDEO! I like worked footage and his was not.
So I guess, my first comment was not fair. After carefully thinking and consideration this cam should perform much better than my Canon XH-A1, but I guess, the footage presented by Allister was just, well, point and shoot with no particular work and I guess, it's always going to look like video this way.

The footage below makes me want to have an FS100
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxc...ing-video.html

The footage from Alister doesn't make me want to have an NEX-EA50EH

Do you see what I mean?
Old December 30th, 2012, 06:08 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Got it. Thanks appreciate the input.
Old December 30th, 2012, 06:40 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Hi Larry

The clip you listed is Sony's "official" promo clip ...take a look at the official promo clip for the EA-50 and you will see a equally desireable series of clips that will make you want the 50 as well. According to Alastair's blog comments this was a pre-production unit he got hold of and was able to do a quickie test

NEX-EA50 (NXCAM APS-C Sensor Camcorder) - YouTube

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 07:08 PM   #12
Major Player

I guess I have to apologize!

One last question

Why buy the EA50 and not the FS 100? It's around 1000 bucks in difference, correct?

Is it just the difference in the sensor? The FS has a Exmor Super35 CMOS Sensor while the EA50 has a Exmor APS-C CMOS Sensor? And the fact that the FS100 has Uncompressed 4:2:2 & RGB Output via HDMI?

Do you see any other difference?
Old December 30th, 2012, 08:49 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Hi Larry

They are much the same price over here and yes, you get the Super 35 sensor too!! However, for me it was simply an easier transition with the EA-50 form factor ...I'm a shoulder mount person and loved the form factor ..plus an ENG style zoom with rocker was also the clincher. For me overall it just ticked all my boxes. I think if you are a DSLR person and used to the form factor of body and lens then the FS100 would suit you better.

If you are a video person then the EA-50 is a nicer way to go. The FS100 is also around 1.5 stops faster with the same lens as the EA-50. If it helps any there is "talk" that the 18-200 servo lens will be available for the FS too but I'm not too sure about a zoom rocker? Does the FS100 have one already??

It's like buying a car ...much a personal choice more than anything else. You might pick a big 4X4 RV cos that's what you feel good in while I might pick a compact cos it's easy to park..both get us from A to B!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 10:20 PM   #14
Inner Circle

I agree with Chris. A thousand bucks is a thousand bucks and the form factor for run and gun is a big deal for me. As for the sensor, well the 50's is close enough to super sensor that for my work it won't make any difference nor will the lack of 4:2:2 or RGB/HDMI. I angonized over this decision believe me (something I have NEVER done with a camera purchase before) and after doing a lot of comparing I feel the NEX-EA50U is the right camera for me.
I looked at what I was getting for the money spent...value for the buck.
Old December 30th, 2012, 11:08 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Hi Don

It is always a tough choice for me so I spent a LOT of time checking the manual very carefully to make sure it ticked all the boxes ..something I never did last year when I bought the Panasonic AC-130's.

We tend to have shooting habits even if it's something as simple as doing a slow zoom down to the marriage certificate as the bride signs it... now without a zoom rocker I would have to start adapting my workflow to contend with this. Form factor is also critical as when the bride signs the register I don't have time to rush around finding a tripod and setting it up...I like the idea I can move around so the photog has some space and that can only be done if your camera is hand holdable ..the FS100 is essentially a big square box with a lens and doesn't look very easy to handhold ... hence I'll keep the $1000!!

Once my first one arrives i'll be doing some actually wedding footage (just handheld over my current cameras) and of course I'll post a bunch of clips so we can all decide if profiles need to be changed. To me that will be far more useful than a quick shoot around the back yard. It might make it by my Saturday 5th wedding but I doubt it due to the holiday this week and if not I'll shoot over the wedding the following Saturday.

At this stage the EA-50 sounds like it will be pretty close to what I need and with a fast prime lens at receptions I can also have people stop telling me "that light is so bright!!"

Hopefully I'll have something for you to comment on prior to your vacation from 18th!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)