Recording to an External Device at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old December 22nd, 2012, 10:05 AM   #1
Major Player

Recording to an External Device

If I'm understanding the manual correctly it indicates on Page 104 (US English) that you can record to an external media device. I assume this would be a portable hard drive connected to the camera's USB port, and formatted FAT32 (via the camcorder's format function). There is a 2 TB drive capacity limitation. If you had a long event to record this would be a great way to do it. I assume that files exceeding 2 GB would be split. I wonder if the camera would provide power to a portable drive, or if you would need external power. Right now I don't have a portable drive that I can reformat to test.
Old December 22nd, 2012, 07:25 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Recording to an External Device

As I understand the manual, you can only offload data from SD card or FMU to an external drive, not actually record to one.
The recording options are SD/Memory Stick and/or the FMU128. Or via HDMI to a Atamos Ninja or similar.

Btw, the FMU128 is rediculously overpriced, don't you think?
Dmitri Zigany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2012, 09:24 AM   #3
Major Player

Dmitry it looks like you are correct. The manual says "saving", not "recording."

The FMU128 is expensive for what appears to be 128GB SSD. A 64 GB SD card provides 305 minutes of recording time (dolby audio), plenty for what I shoot. A quick search showed average pricing at around $1/GB.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 10:03 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitri Zigany View Post
Btw, the FMU128 is rediculously overpriced, don't you think?
These type of recorders are usually that expensive and especially if it has the brandname "Sony" printed on it, your much cheaper off just buying sd cards or even those new dual recording sd cards, I have here a sony hvr-dr60 external harddisc for hdv camera's with a firewire connection, it's 64gb and also costed 1600 euro when it came out...
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 07:52 AM   #5
Regular Crew

The FMU is overpriced big time now that 64gb cards are selling for about $70.
Robert Moran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 10:33 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I got my FMU128 when I bought my NX5U which at the time had a discount which ended up being about $400 for the FMU128. At that time ( 3 years ago) wasn't a bad price for that amount of memory. It still transfers to PC almost 3 times faster than a class 10 SD card which if you do a lot of transfers may be worth considering. Transfer speed is about the same as the hard drive in my XR500 about 10 or 11 mins for 2 hours of video. Takes my CX700 almost 35 mins for the same video transfer whether I use a SD card and card reader or the on board memory.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 07:27 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Noa - by 'dual recording SD cards' do you mean the new Sony mirroring memory cards? They are hellish expensive at £177 for essentially 32GB! (64/2)
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 07:50 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Yes I was, and didn't know the price yet, not sure if it is "that" expensive considering it seems to be a highly reliable recording solution. A fmu 128 is 900 euro here, if you would use the mirroring cards as a single 64 card and buy 2 they cost about half of what the fmu costs so I rather would say the fmu is very expensive.
I have read it several times that a card has a limited write span and also the fact that the mirroring cards will tell you when it's time to change is better I guess then finding out your data is corrupt. Only we don't know if Sony has hardcoded the replacement time sooner then needed or if the card itself checks if everything is still ok or not, if Sony determines it themself they might try to force you to buy new cards even if it's not needed.
Personally I feel the recording media is equally important as the camera itself, I bet prizes will go down soon.
Old January 7th, 2013, 08:03 AM   #9
Inner Circle

what it needs is for 3rd party manufacturers to produce them - then the price would drop :)
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 08:07 AM   #10
Inner Circle

yeah, but I wouldn't be surprised if Sony has build in a mechanism to prevent those from working, just like they do with generic batteries.
Old January 7th, 2013, 08:22 AM   #11
Inner Circle

900 euro is expensive the FMU128 is about $650 here still expensive but convenient. The combination , like the NX5U will give you full backup though. For a little more the Ninja 2 would be a much better choice if one is going to spend that sort of money.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 08:25 AM   #12
Inner Circle

yes, welcome to Europe and our overpriced accesories. :) The Ninja 2 is 960 euro here so yes, in our case a better investment.
Old January 7th, 2013, 11:15 AM   #13
Trustee

I am not going to go with the mirroring cards. I am a big fan of backing up everything I can. Backing up on the same piece of SS Media as your main file does not impress me. Maybe that's why Sony demands such a high price for the FMU, to make guys like me take it against our will.

Steve
Old January 7th, 2013, 11:19 AM   #14
Inner Circle

the mirroring card is actually a backup, it does not record to one "chip" but to 2 different "chips" which are "embedded" onto the same card (if that makes any sense :D), that's at least how I understand it.
It is technology that still has to proof itself but I know Sony usually makes very reliable stuff.
Old January 7th, 2013, 11:27 AM   #15
Trustee

Thank you. I spoke out of turn. That is a better system than I thought. I believed it was basically a partition on the card.

Steve

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)