Neat Counterweight - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old December 27th, 2012, 06:54 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Neat Counterweight

Hi Noa

Obviously Sony Australia have plenty of stock! I ordered on the 26th and despite it being a public holiday here they gave me a receipt and today (28th) I was emailed my tracking number indicating it has shipped. The supplier is on the East Coast (we are the West Coast) so our usual snail paced National Parcel service will take around 6 days to get it across the country...I'm thinking Friday but cos Tuesday is a holiday that might throw a few spanners in the works. I will let you know anyway when it's here and my comments too.

Price from my suppliers was AUS$4040 and they gave me free shipping too. Bear in mind that us Aussies also get slugged with Sales Tax at 10% which has to be included in the price so the base peice was actually AUS$ 3678.00.

Hope yours comes soon? I would give them a friendly nudge at least with a request for an "estimated shipping date"

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012, 02:04 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Sales tax is 21% here, about estimated shipping dates, they didn't know and I don't worry about it too much, I"ll see it when it gets here. I"ll be most interested in some real life moire and aliasing examples so if you could shine your light on those that would be perfect. :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012, 06:17 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Hi Noa

That's really harsh! 21% must hike up the price quite a bit.

Ok no problem on moire examples...Just for interest what scenes at weddings do you find are most troublesome with moire and aliasing??? On my first wedding that's available I'm going to tandem shoot with the EA-50 so it's footage doesn't really matter to the bride. I just want standard wedding footage as a test. I always feel it's silly to test the camera in your backyard and then find that the results don't compare to an actual shoot.

If you can give me a quick note of what scenes you need to see how the 50 handles then I can make sure they are included.

Chris
Old December 29th, 2012, 03:28 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Moire really acts up with a wide angle and buildings with small bricks or rooftiles, other then that it's not much of an issue unless someone would be wearing a shirt with very small horizontal stripes. Aliasing is less of a problem with my dslr at weddings (it's there but I hardly notice it) but after seeing this video ("https://vimeo.com/55999539") I got a bit worried, just check that building at 00:14 which seems like some nasty aliasing. Thing is you don't know how it was shot, edited and converted for Vimeo, you can mess up your footage if you are doing it wrong.
Old December 29th, 2012, 08:11 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Hey Noa

I still think we get over technical..even on that link they are no way on earth a bride would even see that!!

Now just to make you happier, if the light and angle is right both small CCD and CMOS chips are great at displaying moire..Even with my HMC70 which had CCD's I once had the limo arrive with a huge face brick wall in the background and the camera went crazy....My attitude would be if I cannot see the moire in the EVF then it's really too minor to worry about.

In Australia we have insect screens on all our windows (either metal or plastic fine mesh) and when the light is right you can get moire with your naked eye purely from light refraction.

The bottom line is that I never saw moire on any of my footage until someone started talking about it and now I often see bits and pieces at weddings and that's on 1/4" CMOS chips.

I will of course shoot a fair amount of "side" footage as soon as the EA-50 arrives so I can see if there are any issues we need to avoid...I have a wedding on the 5th and technically the camera should arrive on the 4th (with our parcel service it could be the 7th or 8th!!) If it does I will take it along to the wedding otherwise I'll run the extra footage on my wedding on the 12th

Chris
Old December 29th, 2012, 09:06 PM   #21
Trustee

Chris,
I am extremely interested to hear how this camera stacks up in low light vs a AG-HMC150 or your 80s. please let us know:)
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2012, 10:04 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Hi Randy

Me too!!! IF it arrives here before Friday 4th I'm taking it along with the HMC82's to my wedding on 5th so that will be a perfect test as I can shoot the wedding with the 82's and duplicate the footage on the 50.

Based on the fact that the base ISO of the 80 is 40 and the EA-50 is 160 that's already a 2 stop advantage or in low light a 12db gain so it the camera at 12db can duplicate the 80 at 24db gain which is real noisy on the HMC, I'm pretty happy. You naturally still have the option of grabbing another 2 or 3 stops advantage by using a 50mm prime at F1.4 or F1.8

With our Parcel courier and New Year's Day being a holiday it might not make it by Friday so then the test will have to wait until my wedding on 12th January.

I will keep everyone up to date

Chris
Old December 30th, 2012, 02:17 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
I still think we get over technical..even on that link they are no way on earth a bride would even see that!!
Have you seen how moire looks like on a the first generation Canon DSLR's? Not pretty at all, I don't plan to use this camera much at weddings but more for producing video for a small business so then it has to perform better then my Canon 550d.

Quote:
I am extremely interested to hear how this camera stacks up in low light vs a AG-HMC150 or your 80s.
From what I read it has the same sensitivity then the pmw200 and 1,5 stop slower then the fs100, it appears to have usable video up to 5000 iso and if you combine that with a fast prime lens (the stock lens is quite slow) you have got a camera that can deal with any situation at a wedding without using extra light.
Old December 30th, 2012, 03:08 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Hi Noa

Yesterday's wedding I had the couple doing congrats outside he Church which was a nicely patterned face brick wall so I'm sure that would have caused major issues with a big sensor...The HMC chips handled it well but the thumnails in Vegas showed the wall full of moire!! If I had been using the EA-50 yesterday I would have simply moved the couple to a different location ...sorta prevention is better than cure....during January I'll see what backgrounds it doesn't like and then we know to avoid them!!

My photog yesterday was showing me video previews on his 5D with a 50mm F1.4 prime and anything over ISO2500 the hilights were blown out so it's nice to know that we can go to 5000 if needed.

In you opinion would a 50mm prime be OK for reception work?? That's equivalent to 75mm (35mm equivalent) .... I was playing on the Panasonic with zoom and I found that even up to 3X zoom (which is about 120mm equivalent) it was quite easy to use....35mm might be better but you can get a nice 50mm for half the price you will pay for a 35mm the same speed!! Pity Sony don't make a 50mm F1.4

Chris
Old December 30th, 2012, 03:19 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Not sure what the cropfactor on the nex ea50 is but if it's around 1.6 like on my dslr my favorite lenzes are the 85mm which are perfect to film guests when during receptions or when they are sitting at a table, I can keep my distance and get natural reactions. The 35mm I use for detail shots during bride prep or for any other close up with shallow dof but I do use that lens also for medium wides during a reception. And then I have teh 14mm that is used for the entrance of the couple, first dance, establishing shots, just about anything that requires a much deeper dof and a very wide angle.

I have a 50mm nikon nikkor here as well that I don't use anymore, if I would I would be using it for close ups only.
Old January 1st, 2013, 02:42 PM   #26
Trustee

Gentleman,
When considering weights, form factor and fit I have a question that is very important to me. I am a south paw. I am pretty sure I am going to place an order for the EA50 this week. Being a new model I have not had in my hands yet, the viewfinder concerns me. Most cameras with this type of design just barely extend the viewfinder out enough for us lefties to use it. I went through the entire Canon XL series of cameras and they worked with no room to spare. On the EA50 my biggest concern is the buttons and controls that I may have my face against, or not. It is hard to tell from pictures. And it looks like a fixed viewfinder with no sliding adjustment like many other cameras have. Can anyone let me know if the viewfinder, with diopter attached, works for us guys that must use our left eye?
Steve
Old January 1st, 2013, 03:32 PM   #27
Inner Circle

The VF isn't really a VF as those of us who used the "old model" full sized cameras remember. this is a tube with a diopter adjustment that is fitted to the LCD screen ala the EX3 so while there maybe some adjustment fore and aft (maybe) there doesn't appear to be any side to side adjustablity. I
ve read thru the manual (at least glanced at it anyway) and didn't see anything at all about adjuments to the "viewfinder".
Old January 1st, 2013, 05:43 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Hi Steven

That's a very sad point actually!! I wonder if manufacturers have ever thought of lefties??? Just for interest how do you hold the camera and on which shoulder ?? I would have thought that the design of any SM camera would make it difficult to use it anyway else. Now the loupe does physically unclip from the LCD unlike an ENG camera where the LCD is inside the EVF tube. Maybe the fact that it CAN be removed might mean that it can be modified to make using it easier for lefties.

However I'm still having trouble trying to figure out how you would hold it as a left handed person??

Chris
Old January 1st, 2013, 09:40 PM   #29
Trustee

Hey Don,
Does model numbers like Sony PVW-637 ring a bell to you? That’s where I started. Then it was up through the Beta 600 and 700’s. Today we still use D50s in the corporate show side of things. Full studio kits for I-Mag, Triax cable and CCU’s. Much of corporate America has still not embraced HD for meeting work.

It used to be Beta or nothing for professional video. Then some of us rejoiced when Canon put DV in the XL1 so we had a camera that was suitable for some things and the weight on our shoulder was the equivalent of the battery (or less) for the Beta Cam’s!

Chris,
I hold all cameras on my right shoulder just like everyone else. But I am big time left eye dominant. Pro shoulder cams have the EVF on sliding rails so we lefties can move it away from the camera body and still use it. The EA50 will be my first experience with a diopter mounted on a LCD screen. And being a guy that learned to shoot with electronic viewfinders I still like my eye in the cup instead of back looking at the screen in most situations.

Steve
Old January 1st, 2013, 10:41 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Hi Steven

Ok, that's interesting...I of course use my right eye for the camera and my left to see where I'm going...with you guys using your left eye isn't your right a bit blocked by the EVF bits and pieces?

Yeah, I do see the issue now as my Panasonics have a slider for the EVF which works fine but the Sony is simply an LCD with a loupe and cup over it so it's static. Can you actually use your right eye?? I must admit I have never tried using the "wrong eye"

I'm much the same and rarely use the flip up portion of my EVF ...I'm just comfortable using the eyecup for everything.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)