DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/)
-   -   Lenses and ND Filters (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/513476-lenses-nd-filters.html)

Peter Rush January 14th, 2013 05:07 AM

Lenses and ND Filters

Hi Guys - just a couple of questions on attaching Canon lenses to the EA50. The Metabones adapter website doesn't list the EA50 in it's list of supported bodies - also as the sensor is not full size so i guess there would be cropping with my 24-105 L series lens? Also I assume autofocus will work but not optical Zoom (digital zooming into the sensor seems to degrade the image somewhat)

Regarding ND filters - this will be a must for me using the EA50 for weddings - My Z1 had 2 levels of ND - 1/6 ND and 1/32 ND - these 2 filters served me well so - my question is - would a simple ND filter degrade the image less than a variable, which I assume is 2 planes of glass - so twice the potential degradation. 2 ND filters would be not as convenient but variable might cause image issues.

I've had my camera for 2 weeks now but am just coming out of a massive flu bout so have not really had chance to go out with it - I feel much better today but it's snowing like mad!!!

Pete

Chris Harding January 14th, 2013 05:53 AM

Re: Lenses and ND Filters

Hey Pete

Come over to Oz!! 37 degrees and blue skies....I think some snow might be welcome for us... At 7:40pm it's still a balmy 31 degrees!!

I have done a few tests using high shutter speeds to keep my aperture in the F5.6 vicinity and the footage looks pretty good to me...I know that shutters at 1/600th are frown upon but they is very little movement at weddings so it's almost a still scene!! Action footage is, of course, another story!!

I was a tiny bit put off when Noa said his 100 euro ND degraded the footage so if you are going to use an ND with this camera then you really need certified optically clear filters like Tiffen which cost a mint...I'm still waiting to see what others are using.. Genus has been mentioned but we don't have them here (it's a variable which I think might be the most useful)

I looked at the Metabones adapter and was shocked that it cost more than new lenses...I would check and see first to ensure that AF and aperture work correctly before spending that much money..otherwise get a manual adapter and just adjust manually....I got Sony SEL lenses cos I simply had no primes myself so I don't need an adapter...the Metabones here is nearly $500!!! Tough if you have to buy lenses too!!

Chris

Peter Rush January 14th, 2013 06:08 AM

Hi Chris - this forum is proving invaluable and I'm going to wait a while before investing any more money in new kit. As a solo shooter I'd rather not have to faff with changing lenses and filters in the middle of a busy wedding! I've always got my 5D and Canon glass for bridal prep stuff and parts of the day where there's time to get more creative!

Chris Harding January 14th, 2013 07:35 AM

Hi Pete

Me too!! Am I wrong or did you mention in the wedding forum that you have/are planning a Panasonic cam too?? If so try the Sony PP3 preset ... it matches the Panny footage beautifully!

I still very much in the "changeover mode" so I'm still shooting on the HMC's while I figure out these new fangled cameras...the arrival of the SEL50F18 lens this week will further complicate matters but I still have the HMC's to shoot with that do a good job!!

Chris

Peter Rush January 14th, 2013 07:48 AM

Yes Chris I have a TM900 to replace my Sony A1e and I'll probably get another - nice sharp images in low light and so small you can place them just about anywhere.

Steven Digges January 14th, 2013 12:52 PM

Peter,

I am counting on the Metabones adapter working well. I will be ordering it soon. But I got my confirmation on it working from DVINFO user Ed Betz. Check out his threads, there is info on it.

With the Metabones AF is said to be slow or unusable. Everything else is said to work.

Manual adapters will not work with many of Canons "L" series lenses because there is no manual aperture ring. They need the electronic communication.

Steve

Peter Rush January 15th, 2013 02:23 AM

Well I was doing some tests yesterday on a sunny day with snow all around and to get a usable aperture of F8 or F5.6 the shutter speed was 300 or 425 so an ND is on the cards - just which one...?