How many of us own the EA50 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old January 15th, 2013, 05:45 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: How many of us own the EA50

(1) Steve - Phoenix
(2) Noa - Belgium
(3) Pete - UK
(4) Chris - Perth
(5) Lee - USA (with optional 1.8 50mm lens)
(6) Dan - Idaho, USA
(7) Dmitri Zigany, Stockholm, Sweden
(8) Bert from the Netherlands

Keep adding to the list please...
Old January 15th, 2013, 11:11 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I own one. Good system. Have some work on Vimeo that came out pretty well. One thing that's crucial. Use the loupe on bright days as sharp focusing is key, particularly with the digital zoom.
Robert Moran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 11:28 PM   #18
Trustee

(1) Steve - Phoenix
(2) Noa - Belgium
(3) Pete - UK
(4) Chris - Perth
(6) Dan - Idaho, USA
(9) Robert Moran - Connecticut, USA

Been at this so long I'm rounding my years of experience down...not up!
Steven Digges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2013, 06:26 PM   #19
New Boot

Since today... one more EA50 owner... Me!
Already had the Walimex T1.5 35mm since a few days. Now I'm desperate to find some time to start filming. Might take a week or so. :-/
Joris Rens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2013, 08:43 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Add me to the list. Took delivery of my EA50 at the end of 2012.

Jr. Pascual
49 Productions
Junior Pascual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2013, 10:03 PM   #21
Trustee

(1) Steve - Phoenix
(2) Noa - Belgium
(3) Pete - UK
(4) Chris - Perth
(6) Dan - Idaho, USA
(10) Junior Pascual - Hawaii, USA
(11)Joris Rens - Belgium

Old January 17th, 2013, 02:59 PM   #22
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Digges View Post
(1) Steve - Phoenix
(2) Noa - Belgium
(3) Pete - UK
(4) Chris - Perth
(6) Dan - Idaho, USA
(11)Joris Rens - Belgium
(12) Ed Betz NY USA

I added my name
Ed Betz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 05:25 AM   #23
New Boot

First post from me.

I run a video production company (corporates/training/sales/events) and we have invested in four EA50s with the 18-200 PZ and I must say we've used them on three live jobs so far and becoming more and more impressed. I have a lot of Minolta and Sony glass and it made sense to at least check out the EA50 after the investment in the lenses.

I part exchanged a couple of XL H1s and a couple of XH A1s after what I thought would be enough testing. After purchase, initially, the aliasing scared me (I did some, shall we say, challenging tests) and I wondered if the quality was going to cause problems with my clients. But I did what it said in the manual - reduce the DETAIL setting in the profiles - and the problem is far less of a headache.

The most challenging live job so far was two days of restaurant interiors and staff interviews resulting in 5 hours of rushes. And there was only one shot with a flash of noticeable moire on a stripey chef's hat mid shot. And only I noticed it!

Even though the DETAIL was right down resolving sharpness has simply not been an issue and all the scene details have held up extremely well.

We had to face ghastly mixed lighting situations with a great deal of hand held stuff - under great time pressure. Active stabilisation and auto everything got us out of jail with, frankly, a truly excellent suite of shots. The edits went brilliantly and the client is extremely happy.

What more could I wish for so far? However, for commercials we currently hire an FS700 - can't justify the investment so far. But the EA50 is turning into a real friend.

Great forum.

Regards,

Neil.
Neil Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 05:41 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Welcome Neil! I have to test the detail setting to see what that gives, can I ask what number you dialled in for the detail setting?

I also have a small handicam where I can only change one thing at a time manually and in my case it's always the exposure. With the ea50 however I wouldn't be using it in full auto, unless I see no other option, in any other case I would operate the camera in full manual, like I have been doing with my dslr's the past 2 years which always assures the best results. I just don't like it when I have to rely on the camera to get it right and especially with focus it will go wrong eventually.

Not sure if you are allowed to post but think we all like to see more footage from the camera in action :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 07:55 AM   #25
New Boot

Hi Noa - enjoyed your footage elsewhere on the forum. P111 of the English manual about jagged diagonals refers you to P58 to set the DETAIL level (this is within the editing of Picture Profiles). I used the top LEVEL setting - the restaurant shoot was done at -7 (the softest).

I found the MANUAL SET options didn't really give me any big changes apart from CRISPENING which is useful to set the brightness level at which detail level is applied. CRISPENING according to various on-line definitions seems to be a misnomer and perhaps should be renamed DETAIL THRESHOLD - perhaps other forum members can put me straight if I'm wrong.

I sent Sony a 'next firmware request(!)' via the UK support site to ask for DETAIL levels to be adjustable even softer than they are at present - the sensor is supposed to be the same as the NEX-5N (which I have) and, doing direct aliasing comparisons where the 5N is at max softness, the 5N shows less aliasing (though the sharpness falls apart though of course).

This would be useful to soften the EA50 even further when you're faced with a really moire-prone background. When edited into a show, I doubt anyone would spot it.

Useful to know that you can adjust DETAIL while you're in EXPANDED FOCUS to see the effects of adjustments as you do them.

With a hi-res, line-skipped sensor moire is, of course, unavoidable but I'm really impressed at how the EA50 copes generally. As has been said elsewhere on this forum, you just have to shoot high moire-risk subjects carefully to mitigate the problem.

Interestingly, super sharp primes can make things a little worse - my experience so far is with the Minolta 50mm 3.5 macro (I use this when it's vital to get absolutely distortion-free footage with zero vignetting). The lens is, of course, sharper than the 18-200 PZ (incidentally the 18-200PZ lens is actually a pretty sweet match for the EA50 as you would expect) and edges can be a bit fizzier.

Having said all this, doing some macro jewellery stuff with the 100mm 2.8 macro, taking the DETAIL level right up can make for some breathtakingly sharp effects (where aliasing and moire is not a problem).

Perhaps this should be over in the highly popular Aliasing & Moire thread.

I do find full AUTO a life-saver when you're really up against it (we're shooting corporates here - not drama!) but that said, when the time is available, nothing beats a considered manual set up with a good lens. Also enjoying the seemingly rare Sigma 20-40 f2.8 which is perfect on the 'cropped' sensor (Super 35 'ish!) v low distortion and no vignetting, no fringing, fully sharp etc across the frame.

Have fun.

Regs, Neil
Old January 27th, 2013, 08:02 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Very usefull info Neil, thx for sharing, just wanted to ask where exactly you can do firmware requests? I really, really want to be able to scroll through the iso values like you can with the shutter. Only having 3 iso values set to the switch is way too limiting for me and going to the lcd menu each time to choose another iso value to assign to a switch is very cumbersome. That also should be something easy to implement for Sony in a firmware update.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 09:58 AM   #27
New Boot

Seems that Sony doesn't advertise any address for submitting firmware ideas (believe me I've looked).

NEX-EA50EH (NEXEA50EH) : Support : Sony Professional

This was the address I sent it to with a 'please forward to your technical people' on it. There's also an interesting Sony forum on flickr that I stumbled up looking for info on the supposed v2 firmware update for the a77. There was a thread about firmware stuff (on a77 tho') and a 'Katie_sony' who was a Sony bod trying to appease a number of pretty annoyed folks on there (understandably).

I've seen that facebook carries weight with Sony so a better route perhaps.

Apart from the aliasing softening (and I do agree with your points too), my number one firmware request would be just two words: EXPOSURE LOCK. That is the single function I really miss from XLH1s and XH A1s.

Regs, Neil.
Old January 27th, 2013, 02:08 PM   #28
Trustee

Ed, thanks for adding your name. Please read my MetaBones thread as you were my original confirmation on it.

Welcome Neil!

Neil and Noa. You guys are getting into some good stuff here. But you are so far OT I fear it will be missed by many that would be interested? But who am I to say.....I ramble OT more than anyone here!
Old January 27th, 2013, 02:12 PM   #29
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Digges View Post
(1) Steve - Phoenix
(2) Noa - Belgium
(3) Pete - UK
(4) Chris - Perth
(6) Dan - Idaho, USA
(11)Joris Rens - Belgium
(12) Ed Betz , NY, USA
(13) Neil Chamberlan, London

Please keep adding your names.
Old February 11th, 2013, 05:59 PM   #30
Major Player

hi, late to the party and haven't posted since HDV was the rage. just ordered 3 EA50's from B&H for my weekly shoe string & poorly lit telecast. going to replace 3 FX1's. cant wait!

JC
Joel Corral is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)