content browser - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old April 8th, 2013, 02:40 PM   #76
Trustee

Re: content browser

Gentlemen,

I am still beating my head against this split file issue issue. I have a job loaded with lots of long runs, some up to an hour.

I have tried a thousand ways to import my files, windows explorer, camera (EA50), content browser V1 &V2, even Premier Pro CS3 with the Main Concepts plug in that is supposed to join them together.

Content browser shows then as continuous files but still imports them as splits. No matter what I do all I can get into Premier is a long list of 12 minute files that don't sync. I have tried importing every folder in the structure to be sure all data is there and it still does not work.

Chris, what do you mean by a "registered folder"?

If someone has this figured out please let me know how to import them as joined files.

Steve
Old April 8th, 2013, 02:45 PM   #77
Inner Circle

Thx to Chris I downloaded and installed this one :Sony Creative Software - Download: Content Management Utility and connected the camera during install, importing footage is pretty straightforward after that, after that first install you don't have to connect your camera anymore, just use a cardreader, load the software, locate the card and start importing, long files are properly joined in my case.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2013, 03:19 PM   #78
Inner Circle

You may also want to install the consumer PlayMemories too as this has more choices for file selection ( standard Windows practice, Pro versions require individual file selection ) and works fine with my NX5U or NX30 including 60P and LPCM audio. I have PMB, Content Management Utility ( NOT the Browser ), XDCAM ClipBrowser 2.6 and the new XDCAm Content Browser 2.0 . All work just fine on the same PC. XDCAM ClipBrowser and XDCAm Content Browser 2.0 work fine for XDCAm files but do not join AVCHD files in the same way as they do for EX files. I use the Content Management Utility or PMB or PlayMemories to get AVCHD files joined together correctly. Very confusing as there are so many Sony programs that do much the same thing from different divisions !!!

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2013, 03:27 PM   #79
Inner Circle

Not sure Ron but I think those versions you mention don't work with the ea50's files.
Old April 8th, 2013, 03:34 PM   #80
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Not sure Ron but I think those versions you mention don't work with the ea50's files.
I cannot confirm of course since I do not have an EA50 but as far as i can tell from specs the files are AVCHD 2.0 exactly the same as the NX30 which I have. And like the NX5U the NX30 and EA50 will record LPCM audio which I always use for the NX5U and the NX30. PMB will transfer LPCM audio and 60P but will not play these files but PlayMemories will do so. Maybe someone can check if they have an EA50 and PMB or PlayMemories loaded on their PC. Certainly Content Management Utility does work correctly though.

Ron Evans

EDIT: Noa you have a CX730 that must have come with PlayMemories. Have you tried that?

Last edited by Ron Evans; April 8th, 2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old April 8th, 2013, 05:25 PM   #81
Trustee

THANK YOU NOA! Finely a way to get the clips imported and exported properly. The Content Browser that comes with the EA50 is supposed to be the software that is going to replace all of the other utilities Sony has out there. Ironically it does not merge files from the EA50 upon export. At least not for me....

Steve
Old April 8th, 2013, 11:59 PM   #82
Inner Circle

No, thank you Chris as he provided the link to me in the first place :) I don't understand why Sony provides the wrong software with the camera, it also took me some time to find out what was going on.
Old April 9th, 2013, 01:15 AM   #83
Trustee

Thank you Chris. And now that I'm using the right software I see what a registered folder is. Everything seems to be importing properly now.

Steve
Old April 10th, 2013, 02:23 PM   #84
Inner Circle

Noa, out of curiosity I went into local store and shot some clips on an EA50. Attached are screen shots of the import into PMB and PlayMemories both programs worked just fine. Source 24p for the first clip and 60p for the second and audio was LPCM. Both these programs have the ability to select files using Windows convention rather than individual files like the Pro versions and they join long clips together too.The first 2 figs are PlayMemories ( the current shipping consumer transfer program) and the 3rd and 4th are PMB ( the original transfer software but the latest version). With both import screens there is the choice to browse for transfer folder and create a new one at that time no need to register a folder like the Pro versions. Both these programs played both the 24p and 60p files.

Ron Evans

Edit: Just noticed I didn't reset the date on the EA50 in the store !!!
Attached Thumbnails
content browser-playmemories-import-screen.png   content browser-playmemories-screen-after-import.png  

content browser-pmb-import-window.png   content browser-pmb-imported-fiiles.png  

Old April 10th, 2013, 02:31 PM   #85
Inner Circle

I do have pmb as well which came with my cx730 so I could check also, now the importing does seems to work but where those larger split up files from a longer continuous record and did they join correctly?
Old April 10th, 2013, 02:46 PM   #86
Inner Circle

No they were just short files, shot in the store. Since both PlayMemories and PMB join files from my NX5U and the NX30U I do not think they would not work for the EA50 . The store told me the EA50 files were the same format as the NX30U, AVCHD 2.0 as I thought. Just wanted to check for myself. IF you do an update for PMB Sony will ask if you want to upgrade to PlayMemories. I did that on one PC and left PMB on the other that is how I have both.

Ron Evans
Old April 23rd, 2013, 03:33 AM   #87
Regular Crew

Hmm. Lots of other interesting stuff in this thread.

Back to the Content Browser, I uninstalled it. I couldn't get it to scrub through clips.

I have the same problem with Adobe Bridge. The idea of these browsers is great but if they don't allow me to browse, there's no point to them.

Am I missing a plugin, perhaps?

To be honest, I get along fine using Windows Explorer, which allows scrubbing with audio of my .MTS files.
Martyn Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 03:41 AM   #88
Inner Circle

Quote:
but if they don't allow me to browse, there's no point to them.
The most important function of that browser is to join separate longer continous recordings into one file without frameloss. I actually don't use it for anything else.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 03:51 AM   #89
Regular Crew

Ah, OK, Noa. I hadn't thought of that. It explains some of the other posts on here, too.

I'll re-read and see what I can learn. I think it's only happened to me a couple of times, where a clip has been split by the file size limit. Both times I was able to fix it in Premiere. One join needed a cutaway over it but the other went together perfectly, so I must have been lucky.

Thanks.
Martyn Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 04:11 AM   #90
Inner Circle

Most professional nle's just import the entire folder structure from a card and use the metadata to display longer files as one large file, for me this only creates a mess on my harddrive with all these seperate folders, with the content browser I just get the m2ts files without all the folder junk. I don't find the browser all that usefull for scrolling data, it's kinda slow in response, I prefer to scroll through the files right in the nle.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)