E mount lenses for the EA50 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old January 15th, 2013, 12:19 PM   #1
Inner Circle

E mount lenses for the EA50

OK before I go on my wild adventure (another cruise with family, extended family and some friends-about 30 of us) as you know when I get back I'm ordering my cam and the Sony SELP50 which I think from all I've heard will be a great addition to the kit. Now my question is this, and it's for those of us that don't have still cam lenses laying around anymore (sold the last of mine almost 3 decades ago). What other REASONABLY PRICED lens would you get? Would you go for something super short and wide, something in the 100 to 135 range, an 85? something that is faster than the 18-200 and yet something that would help to cover the range.
I'm not looking to buy right away and I THINK the 50 would do most of what I need be it wedding receptions, MoS at a trade show or talking heads but it's always nice to have another option.
Any thoughts? BTW, I don't need anything super long.
Thanks
Old January 15th, 2013, 12:37 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: E mount lenses for the EA50

Prime. Something around 100- 120 and FAST. You will allays be able to nail the one head perfect shot every time!
Old January 15th, 2013, 01:27 PM   #3
Inner Circle

If you don't need the autofocus or image stabilisation the samyang (rokinon) cine lenzes a great deal, cheap, sharp, fast and well build.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 01:34 PM   #4
Trustee

Don,

Be careful, The definition of "an adventure" is - Something you went through that is much better when your back home on the couch telling the story.

I have had too many of them!

Be safe my friend. Watch out for pirates and pick pokets!
Old January 15th, 2013, 04:21 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Noa, I have been looking at the Rokinon 85 with an adapter. It seems like it would fill the bill. Thanks for the recomendation!

Steven, I'm more concerned about pickpockets while we're in San Juan. It's some big hugh festival there and while anything can happen anywhere, I am a very vigilant type person. Perhaps a couple of tours in Vietnam made me that way. When on the ship, I live by the following. "WHAT! Me Worry?" ;-)

Adventures and experience are similar. Experience is something that has happened to you that you wish had happened to someone else! BUT....I am so looking forward to this "adventure" we're even going to be on 'Adventurer of the Seas'! Not soon enough.
Old January 15th, 2013, 04:41 PM   #6
Major Player

The Samyang/Rokinon/Walimex cine lenses are available in E-Mount versions as well.
I'm planning to get the 35mm Walimex (haven't found a place in Europe to order the Samyang versions, suggestions?)

Regarding the Sony SELP50/1.8, it looks rather silly on the EA50. Too small and silver. Wish it was black at leat. But it works well enough ;)
Dmitri Zigany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 05:44 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I bet it doesn't look as silly as this lens:

But its not the size that matters, right? :)
Old January 15th, 2013, 05:49 PM   #8
Trustee

The kit lens reminds of an old joke - "Stand back Eve, I don't know how big this thing is going to get".
Old January 15th, 2013, 09:25 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Noa, with that lens it would look like you don't even have a lens on the camera. ;-)

Steven, Whoa, that's a big one! ;-)
Old January 16th, 2013, 02:05 AM   #10
Inner Circle

This lens is a popular lens for the Panasonic af100 because it's quite wide and fast but size wise it's smaller then my adapter.
Old January 16th, 2013, 06:18 PM   #11
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitri Zigany View Post
The Samyang/Rokinon/Walimex cine lenses are available in E-Mount versions as well.
I'm planning to get the 35mm Walimex (haven't found a place in Europe to order the Samyang versions, suggestions?)
Why would you prefer the Samyang or Rokinon to the Walimex?
If your interested in the 35mm, here's a tip...
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex...ml#post1772695

I have it, and just got my EA50 to put it on today. Fits perfectly. Hope I can shoot some footage soon, but might take a week or so. Lots to do...
Joris Rens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 02:37 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Not exactly sure but I believe Samyang, Rokinon and Walimex are all lenses from the same Polish supplier, they use different names but I don't understand why.
Old January 17th, 2013, 03:20 AM   #13
Tourist

When I bought my 5R I tested some lenses at the shop on both the 5R and the EA50. I wanted a cheap, but relatively fast normal prime. The Sony 50mm/f1.8 was ok, but I thought the autofocus was a bit to slow. (But the OSS was very good.) Instead I got the Sigma 30mm/f2.8 EX. I think this is the best bargain lens for E-mount. Itīs very sharp, and even though it "only" has an aperture of 2.8, itīs very bright and gives a nice bokeh. And the lack of OSS is not an issue for me, the in-camera stabilization works good enough for me with this lens. The only drawback with this lens is that it looks quite funny on the EA50, almost looks like it doesnīt have a lens on:) Maybe I have to get a matte box so it looks better.. The Sigma 19mm is also nice, but for me it was a bit to wide for a fixed lens, when I want to go wide I just use the kit lens at 18mm.
Johannes Lund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 06:54 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Thanks Johannes

Nice to know that the Sigma focusses a bit quicker ..I actually was going to get the 19mm F2.8 for Realty shoots but have already been told the focus is slower than the stock lens..I know I have 18mm on the stock lens but an extra stop will help a lot inside dim rooms!! I must also look at the 30mm!!

Nothing wrong with grabbing so rails and a matte box so your camera "looks" the same ...the pancake 16mm is even worse size wise....I was also thinking about a matte box and rails to "keep the look" ..you only really need it if you think your clients would be impressed with a "bigger" camera...It will make changing lenses a little slower as you would have to adjust the matte box position etc etc.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 08:17 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Ancient Nikkors, Zeiss and Angineaux lenses rock. Of course they don't have autofocus or stabilization but the quality of this tech is amazing. Combined with the digital zoom, using this old glass is a joy.
Robert Moran is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)