DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/)
-   -   MetaBones Adapter Report / Not Good (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/513757-metabones-adapter-report-not-good.html)

Steven Digges February 27th, 2013 12:55 PM

Re: MetaBones Adapter Report / Not Good

You are absolutely correct Chris. Unfortunately we used a debit card instead of the Paypal account. I did not know Paypal would back it up that far.

Also, in the hind sight is 20/20 dept. MetaBones site claims they have authorized dealers. I have now searched and can't find any! Their must be a reason reputable dealers like B&H Photo, one of the largest and most popular here in the US, don't carry their products! I had looked for it at B&H before I made the purchase and knew it wasn't there but I bought it anyway. Head the writing on the wall folks!

Steve

Robert Moran February 27th, 2013 02:44 PM

B&H carries virtually everything regarding video so if metabones is not there, then beware.

Bo-Ming Tong February 27th, 2013 03:25 PM

While I can see your frustration, we are beginning to see speculative assertions not based on any facts or evidence.

Mr Digges, I would like you to be clear whether you would like us to 1, investigate the problem, 2, exchange the product, or 3, receive a refund. For (2) and (3), all you would need to do is to send your adapter back. On the other hand, you are still able to open a PayPal dispute if it is within 45 days. That also requires you to return the adapter.

Thank you for your testing although my suggestion did not resolve the issue. Did you want to give up or do you want me to send you another test unit to try?

e.g. Abelcine and Birns & Sawyers are authorized Metabones resellers in the United States. We have absolutely no reasons to believe they are any less reputable than B&H.

I have been working on your case all along and I have had numerous phone conversations with Metabones on your behalf. Therefore, you can't say Metabones is not responding to you. It is just that you have to be clear what you want, 1, 2, or 3? We don't know what you want, unless you tell us!

We admit we are at fault and we apologize to Mr Digges for our transgressions. In return we would like you to be fair to us and recognize we have been working on your case. I also hope bystanders do not pass judgement without looking at the totality of facts.

Bo-Ming Tong February 27th, 2013 03:45 PM

Anyway, you may contact me directly at conurus at gmail dot com.

Like I mentioned, our initial reaction was we've got to separate and prioritize after-sales questions over pre-sales questions. This was apparently not adequate to bring customer service up to an acceptable level, so one of the things I discussed with Metabones was what we should be doing next. They are looking into implementing a CRM system and increasing staff, and they would do the latter first. Metabones is ill-prepared for the growth but they are fixing the problem. I will continue to watch and make sure they make rapid progress on this front.

Steven Digges February 27th, 2013 03:56 PM

Sir,

In the e-mails I have sent directly to MetaBones I have been very clear about my requests. The first one was a statement of the problems and a request for information and procedure to follow next.

After not receiving any reply for a few weeks I began requesting an exchange.

Other than my correspondence with you on this forum I have only had one reply from MetaBones;

On 02/20/2013 I did finally receive this (as posted above);

"HI Steven

Let me check and get back to you

Mark"

That is a cut and paste of the entire correspondence and I received only after great work on this post here and I am sure a result of you helping my case.

No one has ever authorized a return or exchange. What shipping address would you like me to use?

Because of the intermittent nature of the problems with my adapter I have always believed and stated that I received a defective unit. You also said here that you are guessing that to be the situation.

Because of the importance of possibly utilizing my five Canon Lenses on this camera I am requesting a direct exchange. I will greatly appreciate an expedited exchange.

I will report the result here good or bad as I have done so far. If the new adapter does not work satisfactorily I will not request a refund and consider it over. The vast majority of my complaints here are not about the specifics of the adapters problems. My biggest complaints are about a lack of communication! How do I know what you are doing about it when I have offered twice to communicate with you off this public forum but I had no response to that request ether.

Please inform me on the return procedure and an estimated return date so I can put this to rest.

There is nothing that would make me happier to report that I have a working adapter!

Steve

Steven Digges February 27th, 2013 03:58 PM

My post above was sent at the same time as your post with e-mail address. I will contact you directly.

Thank You,

Steve

Steven Digges March 1st, 2013 07:28 PM

Re: MetaBones Adapter Report / Progress!!!

Hey Guys,

I am now in direct contact with Metabones and Conurus. They are working well with me to resolve this issue. While my adapter goes back to China for an exchange they are sending me a loaner to test on my EA50 so together we can figure out if they are compatible or not. That is all I ever wanted.

DVi user Ed Betz had reported success with the adapter and the EA50 before I made my purchase. That was one of the BIG reasons I chose the EA50. Imagine owning five of Canons highest quality lens products and being able to use them on your EA50. That is huge to me. I have the 16mm to 200mm range covered by three lenses all at 2.8 all the way through. Plus other options.

I am happy to report the complaining is over and soon I will be able to report on real world testing again!

Thank you Metabones and Bo-Ming Tong at Conurus!

Steve

Noa Put March 2nd, 2013 02:40 AM

Good to see you finally are being offered a solution, better late then never :)

Jerome Cloninger March 31st, 2013 08:32 PM

Steven, did you ever get anywhere with this? I'm thinking of getting a speedbooster....

Noa Put April 1st, 2013 01:03 AM

How much is the speedbooster where you live Jerome? Here it's 970 dollar...

Jerome Cloninger April 1st, 2013 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1787844)
How much is the speedbooster where you live Jerome? Here it's 970 dollar...

$600. I'm torn between getting this and using the Canon lenses I already have or another lens... I'll end up needing an adapter though... The non-speedbooster is $200 less.

Noa Put April 1st, 2013 01:06 PM

I was planning on getting the speedbooster but decided to get a 24mm lens instead, this because the speedbooster is ridiculously priced here and hopefully will come down in price.

Chris Barcellos April 1st, 2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerome Cloninger (Post 1787889)
$600. . The non-speedbooster is $200 less.

1 Which one were you looking at ??

2. What about a front side wide angle adapter. Seems like the principle would be the same in terms of optics.

Jerome Cloninger April 1st, 2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 1787966)
1 Which one were you looking at ??

2. What about a front side wide angle adapter. Seems like the principle would be the same in terms of optics.

I'm looking at the Canon RF to NEX E adapters. Speedbooster and non. If I get one probably will be the speedbooster. I have some Canon glass I'd like to use on the EA50 and have access to other lenses sometimes from other people. I don't want to just use one of those wide adapters...

Steven Digges April 4th, 2013 10:15 AM

Gentlemen,

Here is an update for you. Once Metabones became fully aware of my issues with the adapter they have gone over and above normal customer service to help me out. They have also assured me they are making changes in the way they respond to customer service requests.

Because the EA50 is a newly released camera body there has not yet been a lot of testing done with it. Some users have reported full functionality with the EA50 and both Metabones adapters. The Mark II and the Speed Booster. Because it did not work for me Metabones provided me with the opportunity to test another adapter. I had the same intermittent results. To further test MY camera body to see if the issue was related specifically to that body they provided a Sony LA-EA2 E-Mount to Sony A-Mount adapter and a Sony A-Mount lens for testing. As this is a proven combination of Sony products all the way through it should have worked. It did not work properly on my EA-50. Electronic adapters require additional voltage to operate. The LA-EA2 is designed by Sony to work with NEX cameras. It would not work with battery power, as it should. I have to plug in AC wall power to get the Sony adapter and lens to function properly. There are other EA-50 users that have full functionality with that Sony adapter. I am now contacting Sony to follow up on the issues MY EA-50 seems to have with adapters. There is a very good possibility that all of the adapter problems I am having are caused by MY EA-50 body.

Even though I got off to a slow start with Metabones I cannot thank them enough for assisting me in trouble shooting the problems. They truly have done everything they could to assist me in the end. Providing test equipment to narrow down the source of the problem is not a common practice. I have to thank them for that.

I am going to start a new adapter thread because I am having trouble with adapters in general.

Steve