DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/)
-   -   MetaBones Adapter Report / Not Good (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/513757-metabones-adapter-report-not-good.html)

Steven Digges January 25th, 2013 11:04 AM

MetaBones Adapter Report / Not Good

New MetaBones Smart Adaptor II, Sony NEX E-mount to Canon EF Lens mount

Sony EA-50 camera to Canon “L” series glass. A not so perfect world.

Two days ago I received my new adaptor. Knowing that I was going to use it on an untested new camera system I opted for the standard version instead of the even newer Speed Booster model. Judging from Metabones information on their website the firmware in the two adaptors is not only similar; it may be exactly the same.

Bottom line: It does not work with my lenses. I am incredibly frustrated because it does work sometimes so I can see the benefit but at any given point it fails. There are intermittent electrical communication problems between the camera and adapter.

I have spent many hours trying to come up with a solution by trying a large combination of settings and lenses but I always get the same result. I think it is going to work and then at some random point it fails. The failures are a bizarre combination of weird effects taking over the lens. For example; with all auto focus functions turned off on the camera and lens it would suddenly refocus the lens all the way to the infinity side of the range. I would manually refocus and at sometime between 0 and 30 seconds later it would spin the focus again. It did this with two different lenses for about an hour and then quit doing it for now. It does the same thing with other functions, like aperture. You have everything manually set up, it looks good, and boom, it starts stopping itself down. Intermittent electrical issues are always frustrating, you can’t fix it when it is working, and when it is working you never know when it will become possessed and fail. The single greatest failure so far was a total camera freeze. It would not even turn off; I had to remove the battery to shut down the camera. That happened early on and has only happened once.
I believe my problems are two fold;

1. The age of my glass. I have five Canon products I am trying to use. Four lenses and a 2X doubler. It is all Canon “L” series which means it is their highest level of quality they offer. I probably acquired these lenses between 1995 and 2001. These lenses do not have a manual aperture ring so as far as I know the MetaBones was my only hope of making them work because of the need for electrical communication.

2. MetaBones is a third party manufacturer trying to make a complex electrical product work for a wide range of cameras and lenses. This is a Sony “NEX system” to “Canon EF” mount adapter. The possible combinations are countless. MetaBones makes no specific claim that it will work with my brand new NEX EA50 model. They do claim it works with other Sony models.

All I have been trying to do is get everything to work in full manual mode. I do not care about AF at all, these are good glass and a dream to focus. This is important; MetaBones says Canon lenses made around 2006 or later will AF. Iit does not even try to focus my glass except when it randomly spins all the way to one end or the other. I do not care about auto anything, but the other auto functions has the same result, works sometimes. My Canon glass is great lenses; all of them are brighter than the kit lens and cover a wider range.

Firmware changes or upgrades are the one place I can really fault MetaBones for. The adapter has a port on it that looks like mini USB but it is NOT. It is proprietary so for ANY change you must send it back to China for what they call a nominal $50.00 charge.
Suggestions anyone? Do you think I have a faulty adapter since it is intermittent? I am so close but so far away!

Robert Moran January 25th, 2013 11:42 AM

Re: MetaBones Adapter Report / Not Good

I would think MetaBones should produce a passive speed enhancer as I have many Nikkors that focus wonderfully. I use this glass all the time on the 50 and having an adapter giving me the speed hit and full frame via the lens in the adapter would be fine. If they did this and charged $50 for it, they would make a fortune. No doubt other vendors will do this as simpliciy rules with tech like this. Just a thought.

Steven Digges January 25th, 2013 11:49 AM

Hi Robert,

You missed the part about electrical communication is mandatory for these lenses.

Also, I forgot to mention I e-mailed MetaBones. I will keep you guys posted.

Steve

Robert Moran January 25th, 2013 11:56 AM

I did not know that. I thought the glass would provide the imaging transform without power. Thanks for the info.

Steven Digges January 25th, 2013 01:00 PM

I am saying my Canon lenses need power. There in no manual aperture ring.

Steve

Chris Harding January 25th, 2013 08:29 PM

Hi Steve

That is really a bummer!! Considering the price you pay for the adapter you would at least think it would work!! Focus control one doesn't really expect but without aperture control the unit is useless since the lenses have no aperture ring.

Maybe return it anyway..All the reviews tend to indicate that it's a magic piece of gear and nothing weird like your experiences ...At a wedding that sort of action would be a disaster!!

Hope you get it sorted!

Chris

Robert Moran January 25th, 2013 11:08 PM

Oh, so if you had manual lenses like ancient Nikkors, a passive tube with a-reducing lens as per the Metabones could work as old glass is just that. Back in the day, I used a reduction glass to look at the paintings I did to see how they would look at a distance. Cost about $3.00. The principle's the same for the adaptor as passive adapters are just tubes made at the right length to enable old lenses to work with systems like the 50. If this is the case, a passive adapter with a reductive lens would work, something to consider if I were a metabones developer or some other company wanting to get in on the action. For me, I don't care about the power, I care about the rest. Just a thought.

Steven Digges January 26th, 2013 12:04 AM

Robert,

With all due respect, I have no idea what your talking about. Alright, I do, but there is more to this than that.

Steve

Noa Put January 26th, 2013 02:52 AM

One would expect the metabones to work with any nex camera as on their site only the vg900 is stated not to be supported. Apparently Sony build the ea50 different again, maybe to push people into buying Sony lenses. Also thx for sharing this info as this is very helpful for anyone thinking of investing in such an adapter.

About the metabones speedbooster, this one I would get regardless if Canon glass would work or not. But then only to get a near full frame view and some gain in low light sensitivity. My main lenses do have a iris ring so I don't necessarily need the build in electronics. My wife has some canon lenses I"d like to use as well if needed so I hope Metabones will provide a firmware. Pls let us know what their reply is.

If they would respond that the ea50 is not supported you always could get a simple adapter and set the iris on a dslr first before attaching the lens on the ea50. That's how I did when using a macro lens that had no iris ring.

Steven Digges January 26th, 2013 01:58 PM

Hi Chris,
Yes it is a big bummer. Especially since the problem are intermittent. The first thing I would love to try is reloading the firmware in my adapter. I think it is ridiculous that to do that it requires $50,00 and shipping it back to China. I have a large amount of money ivnested in those Canon lens.

Robert,
I hope I did not stymie you. I enjoy your posts.

Noa,
I will keep you guys posted. You can not set the aperture in advance. Mounting the lens requires holding down the wide open button when you twist it on. Otherwise it defaults to what they call green mode.

Noa Put January 26th, 2013 04:49 PM

Oh, wasn't' aware about that, I really thought you could dial it in on a dslr and it would stay there when you would take the lens of. The only lens I tried this with so far was the 90mm macro f2.8.

Steven Digges January 26th, 2013 08:24 PM

Glimmer of hope. I have used the adapter here on a test shoot for the last two days. The thing that has bothered me the most is that the problems are intermittent. That means I am close but so far away and frustrated. Now I have hope that I may have a defective adapter. It is well machined and tight. But a couple of times now, when I loose my F-stop reading and I wiggle the little bit of play that is there it came back. Of course I had tried that many times before with no result but now it has worked three times over two days.

I can't wait to hear from MetaBones, no reply yet. If the solution is an exchange I will be very happy.

Steve

Steven Digges February 1st, 2013 08:37 PM

It has been 7 days since I e-mailed Metebones. No reply. I described my problems and hoped to hear something from them.

Now I am going to scan my receipt and request an exchange. We will see where that gets me. For a company that just made big news for themselves I expected at least some kind of customer service. It is not there. I am really hoping I have a defective adapter because my problems are intermittent. I may never know if they won't respond. That is exactly why I try to do business with reputable retailers. In this case ordering it from the factory was my only option at the time. Buyer beware.

Steve

And I am not trying to burst any ones bubble because they think they are going to "get a whole new set of lenses from the speed booster". I am being careful to only state the facts about my new standard adapter.

Chris Harding February 1st, 2013 10:05 PM

That's a real bummer Steve and not exactly a good advert for Metabones either.!!

At least they should have emailed you and said "we are looking into your problem" .... bad publicity like this would hurt them but it seems they are not concerned.

Keep us up to date if they actually bother to respond at all...I'm sure this will at least stop some from buying the adapter until they find out what the issue is???

Chris

Adam Larsen February 7th, 2013 04:38 PM

I am incredibly frustrated with Metabones also. I sent a EOS to NEX adaptor back to them (Hong Kong) for a firmware update on January 9. Communication was OK initially and I was told it would be a two day turnaround. One month later, I still haven't gotten my adaptor back and heard nothing from them despite multiple emails. I was interested in the Speed Booster but can't imagine purchasing anything else considering their complete lack of customer support.

Chris Harding February 7th, 2013 05:26 PM

Based on Steve's silence, I am also assuming that he is having little or no success from them either. Hmmm big hype and fancy reviews but in the actual marketplace it's not so good as it appears!!

If there is no support and the product is faulty you are basically wasting your time!!! The speed booster could give you the same issues too!!

Chris

Adam Larsen February 7th, 2013 06:21 PM

Metabones adaptors seem manufactured well and the Speed Booster specs look amazing but there is definitely a disconnect when it comes to service. Most of the problems I notice others having with their adaptors are because of firmware incompatibilities (this was the case with mine). Easy fix if you could update the firmware yourself but unfortunately only they can do it - in Hong Kong.

Bo-Ming Tong February 8th, 2013 01:18 AM

I just finished talking on the phone with Metabones about Mr Steven Digges' case. Let me apologize to Mr Digges and also to Mr Larsen on behalf of Metabones. Customer service is in need of improvement and I am working with Metabones on that.

Returning to the technical side of things, I have some questions for Mr Digges. Does the random failures stop when you do either of the following?
1, when the EA50 is powered by the AC adapter, or
2, turn on the power first, and then hold down the 'WO' button on the adapter while you attach the lens?

Did the random failures improve or remain the same when you do either 1 or 2 above? Thanks.

Bo-Ming Tong February 8th, 2013 01:46 AM

For Mr Larsen, and about returning the adapter to the factory for firmware update in general: I was told that, after you have paid S&H by PayPal, Metabones would enter the tracking number into PayPal. So, you would see the tracking number in your PayPal S&H payment transaction. Is that the case, Mr Larsen?

Adam Larsen February 8th, 2013 07:46 AM

Bo-Ming Tong,

Thanks for looking into this. I was communicating with someone named Mark. He said I didn't need to pay for the update - so I never received any tracking info through PayPal. FYI, my NEX to EOS II adaptor needed to be updated to the latest firmware to work with a new Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 VC lens. I mailed it to Hong Kong on January 9 via FedEx (tracking #899448903669).

Steven Digges February 9th, 2013 12:02 AM

Mr. Bo-Ming Tong,

Thank you for your response. I have not tried the adapter when running on the AC power yet. I can try that Sunday. This has been a very busy two weeks past.

I have tried every combination of power on, power off, holding down the WO button etc. Nothing seems to fix it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. Some times it starts out just fine, then it fails. Sometimes if I "wiggle" the adapter the display information comes back. Basically, I never know what it is going to do or if it will stay working. I will be happy to run any test you recommend.

Thank You,

Steve

Steven Digges February 11th, 2013 02:37 PM

Mr. Bo-Ming Tong,

I tested the adapter with the camera hooked up to AC power and have exactly the same problems.

I never received a reply from MetaBones on my original e-mail so I e-mailed them again today requesting an exchange. I included a copy of my receipt.

Are you an employee of MetaBone? Would you like copies of my correspondence with them? I will work with anyone that can help me resolve my problems.

Kind Regards,

Steve

Steven Digges February 19th, 2013 05:23 PM

Update. After e-mailing MetaBones on the 11th of this month requesting an exchange I still have no reply from them. My first e-mail was sent January 25th. I e-mailed them again today, this is my third attempt to communicate with them. The adapter was shipped to me January 16th and I have had absolutely no response from them.

Needless to say I am incredibly frustrated. The one and only time I make a purchase from a foreign manufacturer and I got burned. I have no retailer to back me up, no course of action to take except e-mails that go unanswered. I will never do this again! I may as well have taken the $400.00 and put it in the garbage.

There are posts in this thread from Mr. Bo-Ming Tong in Vancouver who did not identify himself further but apologized for MetaBones and said he talked to them on the phone about my case. He is registered here as a New Boot but did not register an e-mail address. I looked him up and it appears he is an engineer with Caldwell Photographic. They are partners with MetaBones in the development of adapters. Mr. Bo-Ming Tong, if there is any further assistance you can provide it will be appreciated.

I have been careful here to report only facts. If you have followed this thread it should be obvious to you that ordering ANY adapter or the new speed booster from MetaBones would be an absolute gamble. As far as I am concerned, MetaBones and Caldwell Photographic are no longer reputable companies in my opinion.

Steve

Chris Harding February 19th, 2013 06:04 PM

Hi Steve

Any company that cannot provide even poor customer service shouldn't be in business. Yeah, I too have felt like I have tossed good money down the drain when there is no service or they cannot even be bothered to email you back and say "we are looking into your problem"

They could at least have confirmed receipt of the adaptor !! That certainly is a very poor state of affairs and you deserve to get your money back!! I always use PayPal for out of country payments..that way if the product is poor/never arrives/doesn't work I can get my money back!!

Chris

Steven Digges February 19th, 2013 10:35 PM

I still have the adapter. I did not send it back because I am requesting an exchange. It is useless though. It has a mind of its own. I put it on and it might work for a few minutes or more or not at all. Then it goes crazy randomly changing weird stuff on its own.

Bo-Ming Tong February 22nd, 2013 10:09 PM

I finally got hold of someone with a NEX-EA50 and asked him to do me a favor and test the Metabones adapter for us, with a Canon EF 16-35/2.8L lens. In his tests, his adapter worked fine and he did not encounter any stability issues.

So, I think there is no inherent design issue with the adapter, but you have a defective unit. Sometimes this can be fixed by adjusting the electrical contacts on the E-mount side, by loosening the 3 screws on the black plastic shroud on the E-mount side and wiggling the electrical contacts positioning, and then tighten the screws again. Sometimes this adjustment would address a reliability issue. This is specific to the Mark II. The Speed Booster has redesigned electrical contacts which require no adjustments and we have not heard any problems in the field so far regarding contact reliability.

The NEX-EA50 was not in the supported camera list, and worst still it is not a very common camera that you could just walk into a store and buy. It means Metabones does not have access to the camera and there may be significant delays in troubleshooting the problem when you encounter some technical difficulty.

I am from Conurus, Metabones electronics supplier. I have a vested interest to make sure the electronics does work with the NEX-EA50 (I got a second opinion and it seems ok), and also to make sure that Metabones provides you with great customer service. I regularly gather end-user feedback like this, and suggest to them improvements in design and/or the manufacturing process. I am not able to directly serve any exchange or refund requests.

Something's gone wrong and looking back, I believe there were 2 things we did not do right: 1, your request on Jan 25 was not immediately brought to my attention and I only became aware you have an issue after you have posted about it on dvinfo, and 2, we didn't know exactly how to handle your case because we didn't have the EA50. From our perspective we must first narrow down whether you have a defective unit or we have a genuine compatibility issue, but we can't do that very efficiently when the camera in question is not on our supported camera list.

For 1, we made some immediate changes to the way we handle emails so as to prioritize after-sales service over presales questions. We will make further process improvements on customer service.

Steven Digges February 24th, 2013 01:53 AM

Mr. Bo-Ming Tong,

Thank you for the response. I will gladly try to adjust the electrical contacts. This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for when I made my first inquiry. I have the 16mm-35mm f2.8 lens. It is the least problematic of my lenses with your adapter. There seems to be a correlation between the weight of the lens and the problem. Most of my lenses are “L” series 2.8 zooms so they are quite heavy.

Sir, in my opinion, the biggest mistake MetaBones has made in customer service dealings with me was the total lack of communication. A simple acknowledgement of my e-mail would have gone a long way in letting me know some action was being taken. Silence breeds contempt.

I stated in my original post that I knew I was purchasing the adapter for an untested camera. If you or MetaBones would have made contact with me early on this would have become a positive post. I will gladly make any test or adjustment you suggest and report feedback to you. I have no problem with that at all. And I think many more DVINFO members would have been even more interested in following that post instead of listening to me complain about the service. I seek a resolution, not conflict. Thank you for interjecting yourself in this issue.

After my last e-mail to MetaBones on February 20 I got my first reply of any kind on the 21st:

HI Steven

Let me check and get back to you

Mark

So I am waiting for more information. I will gladly work with you in any way I can to resolve this. I purchased the adapter because it will be a great asset to me if we can get it to function properly.

Kind Regards,

Steve

Steven Digges February 26th, 2013 11:27 PM

Mr. Bo-Ming Tong,

I tried your suggestion. Of course loosening the three screws does not do anything as they anchor a circular piece. Once removed the circular tube in the middle came out as did the pieces with the contacts. I reassembled it hoping something would improve. It did not. In fact it made the problem worse. Now I get the terminal failure more often. That means sometimes the camera will not finish starting up or shutting down and the adapter still does not work. In ether case I have to remove the battery to unfreeze the camera from where ever it is stuck.

I e-mailed MetaBones again yesterday. I expressed my frustration again at their lack of communication and assistance.

I also told them I appreciated your suggestions and that at least you were trying to help.

This situation has gone from frustrating to exacerbating. I spent $400.00 on a product from a company in China that seems to refuse to communicate with it's customers after the faulty product is shipped. In six weeks I have gotten absolutely no where with them!

You have attempted to be helpful and you don't even work directly for MetaBones. And I have no way of communicating with you except posting on this public forum and hoping you will come back some time to read it. This situation is not only frustrating, it is bordering on bizarre.

If you would like to communicate directly with me you can e-mail me at corporateshow at g mail . com

Steve

Steven Digges February 27th, 2013 02:16 AM

Mr. Bo-Ming Tong,

More testing. Sir, since I re-seated the contacts this is what is happening. The camera appears to work in green mode some of the time. When I remove the lend and hold down the WOB to put it in normal mode the camera restarts itself. During the start up process it stops at the black screen with the word SONY in the middle of the screen. It looks as though there is a lens cap on but there is not. There IS an error message flashing "ND". Of course that brings to mind neutral density but that is not the case. It does this in very low light. Does this error code mean anything to you? It has done this before I opened it up. It did it most often the first week I had the adapter.

Steve

Chris Harding February 27th, 2013 05:04 AM

Hi Steve

The really big issue is that IF the adaptor does lock up or even damage your camera Sony may not validate any warranty claim!

I can see you are getting absolutely nowhere fast and for all you know if you ever get a replacement (which seems very doubtful) it might also give issues. It's obviously a product with poor quality control especially for the price you paid. I certainly wouldn't risk trying any hairbrained mods any longer ..you could end up damaging a camera worth 10 x the adapter.

I certainly wouldn't consider using it on my cameras now!! Let's just hope you can get a refund..if you purchase via PayPal you can actually submit a claim and if the vendor doesn't communicate then you are refunded by PayPal. Worth it for overseas companies!!

Chris

Steven Digges February 27th, 2013 12:55 PM

You are absolutely correct Chris. Unfortunately we used a debit card instead of the Paypal account. I did not know Paypal would back it up that far.

Also, in the hind sight is 20/20 dept. MetaBones site claims they have authorized dealers. I have now searched and can't find any! Their must be a reason reputable dealers like B&H Photo, one of the largest and most popular here in the US, don't carry their products! I had looked for it at B&H before I made the purchase and knew it wasn't there but I bought it anyway. Head the writing on the wall folks!

Steve

Robert Moran February 27th, 2013 02:44 PM

B&H carries virtually everything regarding video so if metabones is not there, then beware.

Bo-Ming Tong February 27th, 2013 03:25 PM

While I can see your frustration, we are beginning to see speculative assertions not based on any facts or evidence.

Mr Digges, I would like you to be clear whether you would like us to 1, investigate the problem, 2, exchange the product, or 3, receive a refund. For (2) and (3), all you would need to do is to send your adapter back. On the other hand, you are still able to open a PayPal dispute if it is within 45 days. That also requires you to return the adapter.

Thank you for your testing although my suggestion did not resolve the issue. Did you want to give up or do you want me to send you another test unit to try?

e.g. Abelcine and Birns & Sawyers are authorized Metabones resellers in the United States. We have absolutely no reasons to believe they are any less reputable than B&H.

I have been working on your case all along and I have had numerous phone conversations with Metabones on your behalf. Therefore, you can't say Metabones is not responding to you. It is just that you have to be clear what you want, 1, 2, or 3? We don't know what you want, unless you tell us!

We admit we are at fault and we apologize to Mr Digges for our transgressions. In return we would like you to be fair to us and recognize we have been working on your case. I also hope bystanders do not pass judgement without looking at the totality of facts.

Bo-Ming Tong February 27th, 2013 03:45 PM

Anyway, you may contact me directly at conurus at gmail dot com.

Like I mentioned, our initial reaction was we've got to separate and prioritize after-sales questions over pre-sales questions. This was apparently not adequate to bring customer service up to an acceptable level, so one of the things I discussed with Metabones was what we should be doing next. They are looking into implementing a CRM system and increasing staff, and they would do the latter first. Metabones is ill-prepared for the growth but they are fixing the problem. I will continue to watch and make sure they make rapid progress on this front.

Steven Digges February 27th, 2013 03:56 PM

Sir,

In the e-mails I have sent directly to MetaBones I have been very clear about my requests. The first one was a statement of the problems and a request for information and procedure to follow next.

After not receiving any reply for a few weeks I began requesting an exchange.

Other than my correspondence with you on this forum I have only had one reply from MetaBones;

On 02/20/2013 I did finally receive this (as posted above);

"HI Steven

Let me check and get back to you

Mark"

That is a cut and paste of the entire correspondence and I received only after great work on this post here and I am sure a result of you helping my case.

No one has ever authorized a return or exchange. What shipping address would you like me to use?

Because of the intermittent nature of the problems with my adapter I have always believed and stated that I received a defective unit. You also said here that you are guessing that to be the situation.

Because of the importance of possibly utilizing my five Canon Lenses on this camera I am requesting a direct exchange. I will greatly appreciate an expedited exchange.

I will report the result here good or bad as I have done so far. If the new adapter does not work satisfactorily I will not request a refund and consider it over. The vast majority of my complaints here are not about the specifics of the adapters problems. My biggest complaints are about a lack of communication! How do I know what you are doing about it when I have offered twice to communicate with you off this public forum but I had no response to that request ether.

Please inform me on the return procedure and an estimated return date so I can put this to rest.

There is nothing that would make me happier to report that I have a working adapter!

Steve

Steven Digges February 27th, 2013 03:58 PM

My post above was sent at the same time as your post with e-mail address. I will contact you directly.

Thank You,

Steve

Steven Digges March 1st, 2013 07:28 PM

Re: MetaBones Adapter Report / Progress!!!

Hey Guys,

I am now in direct contact with Metabones and Conurus. They are working well with me to resolve this issue. While my adapter goes back to China for an exchange they are sending me a loaner to test on my EA50 so together we can figure out if they are compatible or not. That is all I ever wanted.

DVi user Ed Betz had reported success with the adapter and the EA50 before I made my purchase. That was one of the BIG reasons I chose the EA50. Imagine owning five of Canons highest quality lens products and being able to use them on your EA50. That is huge to me. I have the 16mm to 200mm range covered by three lenses all at 2.8 all the way through. Plus other options.

I am happy to report the complaining is over and soon I will be able to report on real world testing again!

Thank you Metabones and Bo-Ming Tong at Conurus!

Steve

Noa Put March 2nd, 2013 02:40 AM

Good to see you finally are being offered a solution, better late then never :)

Jerome Cloninger March 31st, 2013 08:32 PM

Steven, did you ever get anywhere with this? I'm thinking of getting a speedbooster....

Noa Put April 1st, 2013 01:03 AM

How much is the speedbooster where you live Jerome? Here it's 970 dollar...