How wide is the stock lens? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old January 28th, 2013, 02:40 PM   #1
New Boot

How wide is the stock lens?

Hi all, Bruce A Johnson here. In my work for ProVideoCoalition.com, I got the chance to be one of the first to play with the NEX-EA50. ( If you want to see the review - Pro Video Coalition: Bruce's Blog by Bruce A Johnson )

Unfortunately, the camera I got to use didn't have the actual lens that ships on the camera as sold today. My question: What's the field of view of the stock lens? As a long-time shooter, I tend to work with wide-angle lenses as much as possible. Would the stock lens drive me nuts?

Any help appreciated, as I am quite seriously thinking of purchasing the camera for a new single-cam project in the near future. Thanks!

BAJ
Bruce A. Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2013, 06:43 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Re: How wide is the stock lens?

Welcome to DVi, Bruce!

(Bruce and I go back many, many years... like... 1997 or something like that).

Any of you EA50 owners have any input for him?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2013, 08:10 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Bruce

The stock lens is a Power Zoom 18mm - 200mm and at full wide it has a 35mm equivalent of 27mm ...I rather like it for weddings as my previous cameras were not as wide. Just bear in mind that the stock lens is a little slow F3.5 at wide but the big sensor helps a lot. You can of course put wider lenses on the camera too If you want to go drastic the Rokinin 8mm is quite awesome and gives you a 35mm equivalent of a 12mm.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2013, 11:04 PM   #4
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Welcome to DVi, Bruce!

(Bruce and I go back many, many years... like... 1997 or something like that).
I do believe I might have been the third person to contribute an article to the XL-1 Watchdog.
Bruce A. Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2013, 03:49 AM   #5
Inner Circle

My father has a sony fx1000 that has a 29,5mm wide angle lens and my ea50 was just a little bit wider at 18mm so it's a pretty decent wide angle lens.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2013, 04:04 PM   #6
Regular Crew

The kit lens is terrific. A little slow but definitely a keeper. I have a 16mm Nikkor fisheye that works very well but going wider could get a little weird although folks have done great work with glass as wide as 11mm. The difference from 18mm to 16mm in the 50 and vg 20 is startling to say the least. (35mm equivalents, 18 X 1.5 = 27mm and 16 X 1.5 = 24)
Robert Moran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2013, 04:51 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Yes, eventhough some don't seem to like the lens because it's too slow I too find it a great lens to use for projects where you don't have the time to swap lenzes, the wide and tele reach in one and the same lens are very good. If low light is not an issue this would be my first lens choice.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2013, 07:35 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I have found the stock lens pretty much perfect as it gives me a nice balance at weddings between depth of field and speed. Even if you are fairly wide and close to your work a very fast prime still makes focussing a critical issue and with shots where you want more than 6" in focus the stock is a nice balance. I used my second EA-50 last night as the main camera at a wedding for speeches and yes, shooting up onto the stage with a splash of light added too, because I was about 20' away I had to zoom up quite a lot so the stock lens was F4.5 and still needed 18db ..BUT the image was awesome !!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)