HXR-FMU128 arrived! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old February 16th, 2013, 04:26 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: HXR-FMU128 arrived!

I think the high price you pay for the sony is for it's reliability which is a result that they have full controll over hard- and software and can design the drive specifically for one purpose only, regular ssd drives do fail and often for no reason at all, it's not the first report I read about ssd's failing, sometimes several at once from one batch (just read the topic about the Black magic hyperdeck shuttle where one user had 6 out of 8 ssd drives fail.)
My sony hvr-dr60 was also ridiculous expensive but it has served me for 4 years without a glitch (knock on wood), reliability comes at a cost. I honestly would pay more for the fmu then for a other brand drive where you can buy separate cheap SSD's for. The media you record on to is actually more important then the camera itself.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2013, 09:40 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Re: HXR-FMU128 arrived!

I use the FMU128 all the time on my NX5U. Transfer of a 2 hour theatre show takes about 12 mins, about the same as from the hard drive small Sony's like my XR500 or SR11. By contrast the flash memory in the CX700 can take 35mins for the same show. I also tried using the class 10 SD cards with my card reader and the time is much the same. So from my experience the FMU128 is 3 times faster transfer over the same USB 2 port on the PC ( also used my the XR500 etc) as the SD card reader. I have tried several SD card readers and the time is the same.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)