DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/)
-   -   Time for my Second has arrived (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/514151-time-my-second-has-arrived.html)

Chris Harding February 7th, 2013 06:24 PM

Time for my Second has arrived

Hi Guys

Well I am impressed enough with the camera to dump my Panasonics now and have ordered a second unit to use so I'm now a bonafide Sony user after being a Panny user for over 20 years.

I know it absolutely horrifies the purists here who have an impressive collection of prime lenses that I'm using the EA-50 as a video camera rather than as a DSLR but that's the way I shoot and it does a magic job for me too. Due to the much bigger sensor and even with the stock zoom I still have to be aware of the DOF that one would never find in a small sensor camera but as an ex-wedding photog..that comes quite easy.

I will just have to make a second fitting that goes on the rear of the shoulder pad to accommodate my two radio receivers. Other than that it will be neat to be back with matching cameras again.

Hope others with the EA-50 are having good experiences too...My only tiny whine was that I couldn't have the time code show per clip but I getting used to living without that! The extras on the Sony which the Panasonics never had make up for it!!

Chris

Steven Digges February 7th, 2013 06:52 PM

Re: Time for my Second has arrived

Congratulations Chris. Your doing it right, there is nothing like working with a matched set!

DSLR Purists? Pure at what? In my humble opinion I do not consider ANY camera that comes with only a mini jack for audio to be professional. Not trying to rekindle the endless debate. Just stating my opinion.

Steve

Chris Harding February 7th, 2013 07:19 PM

Hi Steve

Maybe that was a wrong choice of word! I was simply comparing myself who tends to use the stock zoom only as most of my shots need a larger depth of field compared to guys essentially using the cameras with their own prime lenses and creating very impressive and creative shallow DOF images compared to my mundane ones that occur during conventional video...It's great to know that the camera can handle creative DSLR style images and well as run of the mill standard documentary style video and it does both equally well. I must admit there is very little about this camera that I DON'T like ..it's pretty hard to fault. Maybe I also lucky but apart from un-noticeable bits here and there I don't seem to have encountered any moire at all either and I often do brides near patterned objects like face brick walls.

In fact my small sensor Panny's have had moire issues now and again that are more prevalent than the EA-50 .... I might venture into the prime region sometime of course when the occasion arises but for now the 50 works brilliantly as I want it to.

Chris

Don Bloom February 7th, 2013 08:29 PM

Chris,
good on you for making the move. I too have made A move to JVC again. As you know I'm a firm believer in non-brand loyalty but using the camera that has the most amount of features and benefits for you for the particular job or type of work you're doing. For you the EA50, for the the HM700 for others a DSLR.
As long as everyone is happy with their choice I don't think the name plate on the gear matter. Heck call it a Chevrolet if you want! ;-)

Chris Harding February 7th, 2013 10:05 PM

Hey Don

Ok I have received the tracking number for my second Chev so it will be here early next week!!

I think it's simply that you need to know what you want and download camera manuals and see what they have. I actually feel for guys diving in the deep end as they have nothing to compare a model against..on the other hand I knew what I had with the Panasonic and then I knew that the EA-50 could offer and it make the choice a lot easier..You are simply going back to a familar brand and you already know what you need.

It's really what you are comfortable with and how you use it and your choice should be respected as we all have our own quirks...so yeah, you are still on the good side of my list (besides the first cam I EVER owned was a JVC single tube camera)

Chris

Steven Digges February 8th, 2013 12:20 AM

Right on to both of you. I could not agree more. I had to dump my Canon loyalty to buy the EA50. That was not brand loyalty as much as it was compatibility loyalty. Mmmm does the word PROPITIATORY ring a bell here. As soon as Canon, who's products I love, quit providing the features I need, I jumped. Each to their own. There are a lot of great products out there. That is good for us!

Steve

Noa Put February 8th, 2013 03:27 AM

It has been quite a journey for you and I hope the ea50 will prove to be a worthy camera, let us know how it works out when you are using both at weddings. I take it you always work alone? I"m curious how one of the camera's will do then in auto mode when left unattended.

Chris Harding February 8th, 2013 05:25 AM

Thanks Noa

I really cannot see a problem, even solo ... I sort of check that all is OK between shooting cutaways too so it's seldom "abandoned and left to run" ...The exposure is left on full auto (shutter/gain/iris) but I lock focus on manual to make sure it doesn't hunt or decided to shift focus to the attractive blonde standing behind the couple!! That's the way I used the Panasonic too ! Just got to make sure I have enough ND added for the conditions!! This Saturday I'm still using the Panny/Sony combo but the following Saturday I'm doing another outdoor and both Sony's will be in use then ...we will see if any disaster happens but I know the camera quite well now and it doesn't seem to have any quirks ..I just haven't run AF for 20 minutes before hence the decision to stay manual for that. I wrote my supplier a nice review (themselves and the camera) so they said they are sending me a thank you gift in the mail now....According to the courier it's expected on the 14th latest !

Chris