ND filters and Colour Casts at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old February 11th, 2013, 01:02 AM   #1
Inner Circle

ND filters and Colour Casts

Hi Guys

OK , today is just as hot as Saturday but it is a little cloudy and I did a few test shots with ND filters..Now these are "supposedly" top of the range (3 filters cost me $120) so they are no $2.99 eBay cheapies.

I did 3 clips with No ND filter, then an ND4 and then an ND8 .... the footage gets progressively "redder" as you go up and especially with a scene with greenery the green content just starts to disappear.

Judge for yourself with the pics below....the BIG question is : Do you have to go to manual WB every time you use an ND filter ...pretty much the answer would be yes...now based on the fact that the WB gets "redder" as you increase the ND ..what now would happen with a variable ND??? The way I see it is every time you dial a new setting on a variable ND it seems you would also have to re-balance colour which is a pain in the butt surely!!

I'd be interested to know if a variable ND would be any different??

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
ND filters and Colour Casts-nd0.jpg   ND filters and Colour Casts-nd4.jpg  

ND filters and Colour Casts-nd8.jpg  
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2013, 05:27 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: ND filters and Colour Casts

Hi Guys

Problem is sorted !!

Advice (1) : NEVER EVER trust a camera salesman who sells you "the best ND filter on the market"

Advice (2) : Don't buy Green L filters ...that is the issue ..just read a review and on stillcameras too they cause a red cast ..the higher the ND the worst the red cast.

Reading and looking at tests on still cameras the Hoya filters seem to give flawless results so I think I will grab just an ND4 for now and see how that works ...reviews don't show any colour cast at all and the reviewer's test of my filters showed the red cast...they double stacked filters too ND4 + ND8 and the red cast was terrible but the Hoya was still clean and didn't seem to show any image degradation

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2013, 05:34 AM   #3
Trustee

Chris, I've always used B+W filters. They're not cheap, but they are the best I've experienced, with no noticeable colour cast. I try to always use their slim mount MRC filters.

One B+W filter for my AC130 (72mm lens) is £50 ( approx $80)!

I've had other filters (cheaper ones) totally ruin footage. The worst was Polaroid variable ND (a mere £30) which gave everything a nice yellowy-brown cast and ruined all the footage!
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2013, 07:25 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Thanks Mike

Much appreciated!! I can see the sense in buying the best filters possible..no point in putting crappy glass in front of a good lens!!

I'll see if B+W are stocked here at all..I'm sure someone will have them....!! Now to put the other filters on eBay and see if someone wants them? (I won't mention where I would REALLY like to put them)

BTW : Did you register your cam on PASS yet?? I gave a comment on the Panasonic Forum here for you?

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)