Zoom problem - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old February 28th, 2013, 01:28 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Zoom problem

The only time I will creep zoom is when the couple cut the cake and I slowly zoom down to the knife and then back up again (combined with a tilt of course) and much the same during the register signing ... It's a sorta "edit in camera" saving a cut between the three shots.

I have never seen any jolt or shift during the footage so yes, for me doing a zoom creep is normal with no issues.

Ok, I tell a bit fib cos I reframe for the vows on 2nd cam too but that's more framing prior to recording so I don't watch the zoom progression at all ..only how much tighter I want the shot and I'm not recording yet!

I'm doing a civil wedding tomorrow so instead of stopping the camera I'll actually record the reframing zoom and see if I can spot the jump at all. Maybe this is a pixel peeper thing?? Do you guys think that anyone else can see the shift during the footage if you are NOT looking for it? I honestly haven't seen any shift/jump on my footage so maybe I'm simply not looking for it? If everyone else has it then it must be there or on at least one of my cameras?

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 02:04 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
I have never seen any jolt or shift during the footage
Might that not be because you do mostly handheld shooting? In such a case there is always a little bit of movement going on and that twist at the start and end of a zoom doesn't notice, on a tripod at a fixed position it does show much more on my camera. I post some footage today where you can see the lens twisting to the side during the zoom.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 03:57 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Hi Noa

Good point ...I have the A-Cam on a tripod but as already mentioned I only do one zoom as they do their vows and it's usually the bit at a Catholic ceremony when the cam is stopped while they get into position so that's why I haven't seen it.

Tomorrow is a civil so the B&G stay in the same place and I often won't stop the camera to reframe when the vows start so I'll keep an eagle eye out for the jump/twist when I'm re-framing. During speeches I seldom need to re-frame the main cam as it's locked on the lectern so I wouldn't see it there at all.

I shall report back after the wedding!

Chris
Old February 28th, 2013, 11:37 AM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Pike View Post
In that video there appears to be a lateral image movement both at the start and finish. I also see the search for focus going on and understand that.
I was more interested in this apparent lateral movement- or is it just an effect of focus hunting?

More importantly does it have this characteristic in manual focus/power zoom, or is it only in auto focus mode?
Rod ~

The lateral movement. Just checked on the camera to replicate the issue. I notice it's worse if the lens 'Steadyshot' is turned 'on' in either 'Standard' or 'Active' modes'. I think it's a combination of the auto focus and the Steadyshot that causes most of that lateral shift. It appears least if the auto focus and and Steadyshot are both 'off.' In fact in the owners manual, page #90, it says turn Steadyshot 'OFF' when using the camera on sticks.

So many different modes on offer in using this somewhat unusual lens. It seems it's a matter of finding the right combo of settings to get the best results. Overall the lens is good value for what you pay for it as part of the kit but it does have some short comings as users are finding out.

Re buying an FS700, my two cents. I normally shoot on XDCam HD but with so many producers wanting this shallow DOF look these days I bought the FS to go along with the XDCam. I find the FS700 can achieve that desired shallow DOF look without breaking the bank. I use it primarily with a Nanoflash in MXF mode for interviews so the zoom issue thing is not big with me. For most interviews I use a manual prime lens and with those the 700 with a good PP setup can produce very good results. I find it a very worthwhile camera and it gets you away from all the drawbacks associated with the DSLRs, like short runtime, no decent audio I/O and control etc.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 02:45 AM   #20
Inner Circle

I tried to film the "twisting" of the lens when you start to zoom but it's not that easy to capture it, it's just a very minor almost not visible movement which mainly shows at the long end of the zoom when you zoom back out.
Old March 1st, 2013, 08:35 AM   #21
Inner Circle

I think its mainly the Steadyshot and this effect is evident on all my cameras if Steadyshot is ON. Its worst with the camera that has the greatest motion stabilization, my latest NX30U. If you do a pan on a tripod with Active Steadyshot on then nothing happens for a while then the pan starts and when panning is stopped the motion carries on and slowly comes to rest. Turn Steadyshot off and all has gone away. With Steadyshot on the camera will try and stay on the main focused subject as long as possible, when the limit is reached it starts to move and will bring subject to center of its range when you stop moving. Looking at large movements on my CX700 when walking or skiing occasionally it will snap to a new position so there may be absolute limits as well as working limits for movement. Likely a lot more complicated but that is how I look at it !!! Least pan effect is on my older cameras the SR11 and NX5U , XR500 is a little more obvious, then the CX700 and very obvious on the NX30U with its balanced stabilizer ( which by the way is incredible).

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 10:14 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Hi Guys

I certainly cannot see it on my CamA which is tripod mounted BUT steadyshot is off and focus is manual (I just use spot focus when it's on the tripod) All zooms seem 100% clean to me but then again I never go much more than around z00 - z30 so it's nowhere near the top end.

On the handheld CamB AF is on and std stabilization is on but again I see nothing!! I guess I don't zoom in enough to see it??

I tried it countless times at the wedding today/tonight !

Chris
Old March 1st, 2013, 12:56 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
I think its mainly the Steadyshot and this effect is evident on all my cameras if Steadyshot is ON.
Not on the stocklens from the ea50, in my case the ois is off and it's the lens itself that twists to the side at the start of of zoom.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 12:52 PM   #24
Trustee

Noa,

Are you saying there is torque or movement between the lens and camera body? It is a tight fit, how can it move? What are you seeing move?

Also: Turning all steady shot options OFF is standard procedure for ANY camera when mounted on a tripod. Panning with it on will make you crazy! You will stop at the perfect place for your subject and the image will drift right before your eyes all the way to the limit of the steady shot. It will also delay the start of your pans. This is not a fault or problem with steady shot, when your on sticks you don't need it anyway.

Steve
Old March 2nd, 2013, 02:35 PM   #25
Inner Circle

The problem is with the lens, the connection to the camera is solid.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 03:17 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Not on the stocklens from the ea50, in my case the ois is off and it's the lens itself that twists to the side at the start of of zoom.
Get Sony to replace the lens. I had problems with my NX5U lens and Sony just replaced the whole lens assembly under warranty. There were a series of early NX5U's that had a lens problem so it will not be the first time Sony has problems in early production.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013, 02:17 AM   #27
Inner Circle

There is still a 2 year warranty on the camera, if it proves to be a design issue with the lens I probably will send it back at the end of the wedding season this year. However, if it proves to be "normal", then I won't have waisted any time sending the lens back with the info afterwards that it's ok as it is.
Old March 8th, 2013, 07:39 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Here is a perfect example - the lens seems to lurch up and to the left at the start of each zoom - Steadyshot is set to 'off' and focus is set to manual - I think it may be a faulty lens

Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2013, 08:24 AM   #29
Inner Circle

Hey Pete

Was that from full zoom or not..bear in mind that at full zoom the lens barrel is fully extended so with the extra length there is more chance of play being observed...I have never seen this on both cameras but then again I seldom zoom any more that 100mm and back to 18mm so the lens never extends enough to "wobble" like that.

Chris
Old March 8th, 2013, 09:31 AM   #30
Inner Circle

Hi Chris - yes the zoom is at it's full extent there - the same thing occurs at other focal lengths but is not as noticeable - Here's an example of how I can get around it - Say I want to zoom out, I frame my shot, zoom out ever so slightly causing the lens to bump, press record and then complete the zoom! Once I've done a little 'pre-zoom' it's ok

It's like taking up the slack before actually executing my zoom!

Strange
Peter Rush is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)