DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/)
-   -   561BHDV-1 suitable for the EA50? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/514263-561bhdv-1-suitable-ea50.html)

James Manford February 12th, 2013 03:54 AM

561BHDV-1 suitable for the EA50?

Will the Manfrotto 561BHDV-1 be sturdy enough to handle the EA50 w/ stock lens?

Mike Beckett February 12th, 2013 04:23 AM

Re: 561BHDV-1 suitable for the EA50?

I found that the 701HDV head on it was a bit flimsy with my Sony NX70, and that's a good deal smaller and a bit lighter than the EA-50.

I added a Manfrotto 501HDV head that I had lying around and it was much better. It's still only really good for wide angle shooting, including getting above the heads of a crowd.

That's just my experience... others may differ.

Chris Harding February 12th, 2013 06:02 AM

Hi James

I'm actually fascinated why one would put a shoulder mount camera on a monopod??? Have you tried it on your shoulder at all ...it's pretty hard not to hold it steady and with a monopod you lose all the flexibility that you have handheld. I can understand a decent tripod. I would get a tripod (or monopod if that's what turns you on) that has at least 3 times the rated weight of your camera ...As far as I remember the 561 only handles around just under 4kg ... With tripods I found the heads started going funny if I used underated ones. Rather get something higher rated ( like at least 6 -8 kg camera weight for the EA-50) It's already over 2kg so for me a 4kg rated monopod is a bit light!!

My Weifeng tripods are rated at 12kg and they have lasted very well indeed but my first one started having bowl issues as it was too light ....BTW: All my units are bowl head ..so much easier to level!!!

Chris

James Manford February 12th, 2013 01:06 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Chris, Im so used to using my VG20 & a Canon DSLR that I only purchased the EA50 for the fact it looks super professional. Yes I know ... but what can I say, im self conscious. I hate the fact guests at a wedding own DSLR's themselves which makes the dedicated professional at the event look a bit amateur.

Anyway ... back on topic.

I don't like shoulder mounting my camera, find it very awkward. A monopod and a tripod is what Im after.

Can you guys recommend me something. Maximum I want to spend on both is around £600. It can be pre-owned.

Chris Harding February 12th, 2013 06:59 PM

Hi James

I guess we all shoot different ways which makes life interesting!! The thing I liked most about the EA50 actually was the form factor and that I could shoot from the shoulder. Apart from 2nd cam (another EA-50) on tripod during the ceremony and speeches all my footage is on shoulder. I tried a monopod once and sold it..it was simply too cumbersome for me.

Chris

James Manford February 13th, 2013 03:30 AM

Well I done a bit of research after your advice and I think I may have saved myself some money actually.

I bought a Manfrotto 681B ... only cost me £35 delivered. And it has a load capacity of 12KG rather than the 4KG of the 561. Yes it doesn't have legs (they are optional), or a fluid head (optional). But I think it's worth a shot at that price ...

Noa Put February 13th, 2013 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harding (Post 1778742)
I tried a monopod once and sold it..it was simply too cumbersome for me.

The only time I use a mono pod is during bride prep and when I have a dslr on it, there is no stabilization on my dslr lenses and I can't do handheld without too much shake, monopods are then a very good solution to make your footage more stable and to work in tight spaces.

I do however find a combination of the ea50 and a monopod not beneficial for me either, it's either on a tripod or handheld. Maybe if I ever am in a situation where I have to do longer continuous shots from different positions and I don't have room for a tripod, then a monopod would be ok, but I would probably be wearing a belt where I could stick the monopod in a small holster that's attached to the belt.

James Manford February 13th, 2013 04:03 AM

Noa

What tripod do you use with your slider, if you use any at all ... ? I need one with atleast a 12kg rating.

Can any one recommend one under £300 delivered.

Noa Put February 13th, 2013 04:23 AM

On my slider it's a older 701rc2 manfrotto head.

James Manford February 13th, 2013 08:45 AM

Just purchased a Manfrotto 475B for my EA50.

Load capacity of 12kg. Hope it works well ... looking forward to testing both the tripod and monopod in due course.