Batteries for Sony NEX-EA50 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old January 8th, 2013, 07:06 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Batteries for Sony NEX-EA50

I've ordered mine today to arrive tomorrow - The camera comes with a NP-F770 - I'm assuming the only difference between the genuine NP-F770 and my genuine NP-F970 batteries is one of capacity. I hope I don't have to order a bunch of new ones.

I'll let you know my thoughts once I get out and shoot some footage

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 08:41 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: New Sony NEX-EA50EH Announcement

Hi Pete

The manual says the camera will show any error on non "L' series batteries but it's already said that genuine Sony batteries will work BUT I still don't know if batteries from Sony without the chip inside to calculate the time remaining will be accepted..My only "Sony" batteries I think are generics from my video light and don't have the "InfoLithium" logo on the top .... If your older 970's displayed time left on your old cameras then they should work.

Let us know ?? I know Noa only uses genuine batteries and they work fine

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 08:58 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I have some very old 330s and they are infolithium type so yes, the only difference is capacity. 770s 970s even the older 550s and 330s will work as long as they have the Inforlithium signature.
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:10 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
even the older 550s and 330s will work as long as they have the Inforlithium signature.
Not sure if those will work, the manual states only that the 770 and 970 can be used but not the 570, it doesn't say anything about other type of batteries that would be compatible.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:25 AM   #5
Inner Circle

OK but I'm saying as long as its a Infolithium battery by Sony.
Besides, if the 970 runs say 4 hours and you have 2 or 3 you should be good to go for a long time. My 970s run my old PD170 for about 6 hours of pretty much continuous recording so I would have to think the 970 would run the 50 for at least as long.
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:28 AM   #6
Inner Circle

That not what I meant, just saying what the manual indicates; only the 770 and 970 Infolithium are compatible with this camera, unless someone with another type of Infolithium battery can prove otherwise but like you said, if it would work, it stays a risk to use them, Sony builds in some kind of protection to disable the camera when it's not an approved battery. I have seen this happen with my small Sony handicams, the camera sees it's not a Infolithium or Sony original battery, gives you a warning and powers down the camera, and that can happen at random times. About Generic batteries I can allready conclude that my Lenmars don't fit, they don't snap into place.
Old January 8th, 2013, 11:13 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I just thought that I has a small np-f570 here that stopped working about 1,5 year ago (it only gives a charge for 20 minutes and then it's empty again) and had that still lying around so tried to see if it would fit but it also doesn't snap into place, seems Sony has build the locking mechanism in such a way it only works with specific type of batteries.
Old January 8th, 2013, 01:21 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Noa, I just read this with interest. I would hope that Sony didn't change from their previous locking system, that would be a bummer as I have a bunch of 970s none of which are newer than about 3 years old but hold a charge like new. Maybe the smaller battery don't lock in because of their size? I'm guessing on that because the locking system is the same on all of the Sony NP-F series or at least the ones I own.
Boy I hope they didn't change that.
Old January 8th, 2013, 01:26 PM   #9
Trustee

I tried one of my decidedly not-Sony NP-F970 equivalents on the EA-50 and it worked just fine.

The FS100's manual (Page 15) explicitly point out that the NP-F570 (the 'pancake' one) won't work, only the 770 and up. I think this is true of the EA-50 too. I'd love to quote directly from the EA-50 manual but I don't have one to hand.

FWIW, the supplied charger will probably only 'trickle-charge' most non-Sony batteries, taking over a day to 'fill' a 970 equivalent. Older and third party chargers (e.g. Swit) will not have this problem.
Old January 8th, 2013, 01:28 PM   #10
Inner Circle

That's good to hear. I guess then that without the chip (real Sony) it just doesn't read out the time remaining? True or False?
Old January 8th, 2013, 01:32 PM   #11
Trustee

Mine did read time remaining. No issues with it, nor the FS700 and FS100. So the cameras are cool, just not the 'new' chargers supplied. It's a real PITA if you haven't got an older charger.

In fact, considering how little power these cameras consume, I'd be somewhat tempted to think 'sod it' and get a 'Real' one, but then I've got lamps and recorders that use NP-Fs too - so YMMV.
Old January 8th, 2013, 02:05 PM   #12
Inner Circle

My 7 year old original 970 battery does fit though and also works, I wouldn't trust and use any generic batteries on the Sony though since I have had issues on 2 Sony recent camera's (and different models) shutting down during recording, even with a full battery.
Old January 8th, 2013, 03:45 PM   #13
Inner Circle

I've had really good luck with the Wasabi batterys but I have enough real Sonys to power me for the day and then some. I also have the old chargers. I can charge 6 batterys at once (multiple chargers) get home late, put the batterys in the chargers and be ready to go the next day but I've only rarely used 6 batterys unless I'm counting the ones I use in my lights as well. It sounds like I'm all set then with power. Can't wait!
Old February 12th, 2013, 05:54 PM   #14
New Boot

I've been using my NEX-EA50EH with a Pearstone battery equivalent of the Sony NP-F975 with no issues.

Love the digital zoom. Very minor artifacting on full x2 digital zoom. Works on all of my canon lenses that I use via the metabones adaptor. The motor zoom on the stock lens I found way to slow to be useful, only zoom manually. One advantage of the stock lens is you get the use of the steadyshot function, which doesn't work when I use my Canon lenses.

Michael g.
foglifter media
foglifter media
Michael Garrigues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2013, 06:18 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Nice Michael

How you do charge your non-Sony battery??? Already mentioned is the fact that the new chargers only seem to trickle-charge non-Sony batteries so they take the whole day to charge up!!

I have two of the new Sony chargers of course (one for each camera) but I have also got a bunch of generic Sony batteries that my video light uses..I figured the new Sony charger would make short work of them but alas it doesn't!!

Are you having any issues with the Metrabones adapter like Steve is having??

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)