More Colour Saturation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old February 16th, 2013, 09:07 PM   #1
Inner Circle

More Colour Saturation

Hi Guys

I'm currently using the PP3 profile and the colour saturation is a wee bit washed out compared to stills I take (with my stills camera) of the same area. On the colour depth parameters, has anyone played with these?? Is there any recommended settings to just overall lift the Chroma level ? (Something like increase RGBCMY parameters from zero all up to +2 ??)

Has anyone yet customised any of the profiles as yet?? So far I have simply been lifting saturation in post.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2013, 02:27 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: More Colour Saturation

Would be interested in this as well, pp3 is a very good starting point but has very little color information, I too would like to have some more saturation but without touching the latitude.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2013, 02:53 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Noa

I'm editing on Sony Vegas 10 and if I drop in the colour corrector plugin and simply push the saturation level a tiny bit, it certainly looks like all the colours come up evenly. The manual does say that chromatic colours are affected much more than achromatic clours so does that mean that they consider the RGB channels as chromatic and the CMY channels as achromatic..? If that's the case then all you would really need is to lift the R,G and B channels by say +2 and the CMY channels wouldn't change that much.

My old Panasonics simply had a single saturation level control only in their profile files from -7 to +7 and I know with them a +2 gave a nice rich colour saturation on my AC-130..compared to a very wishy washy saturation at zero. My HMC82's however already had great saturation at default of zero!!

I would have thought by now at least someone would have experimented with modifying PP files?? For dramatic stuff like your glass house the saturation probably is already pretty much perfect but at an outdoor wedding with blue skies and green grass and brightly coloured outfits a little boost of saturation would be pleasing to the eye.

Chris
Old February 18th, 2013, 07:49 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I was watching a few EA-50 videos on vimeo and saw a couple of comments from others saying that the "OFF" profile gives brilliant results and also minimum noise in low light!... Has anyone shot with no profile at all? or are we assuming that using a profile is actually necessary before a shoot...however there was also a comment that the "no profile" setting doesn't give you a "filmic" look at all ...much biased towards the video look...!

I think I might try each PP on a set scene and then compare the factory settings with each other! I think the real answer is a nice BIG portable monitor where you can sit down and play with settings without needing to record anything until you feel it looks good!! However I would suspect that a PP for outdoors and a PP for indoors might be necessary.

Chris
Old February 18th, 2013, 04:16 PM   #5
Inner Circle

As far as I can tell "off" and ppt01 are the same, I think the reason why one would think some presets produce less noise is that they crush the blacks much more then ppt03 does, the noise gets crushed with it, that, and all detail in blacks. With pp3 you preserve all detail but it would require you to use a plugin like neatvideo to clean up, but even then it still would look better as you can retain more detail in dark area's.

If you want to test right that takes quite some time and I think it would be very valuable to determine what preset with some tweaks would give the best results inside and outside. Some volunteers? :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2013, 07:06 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Surely they would not make PP1 and "Off" the same profile? That would really be a bit of a waste of time.

Panasonic tended to make their PP1 (they called them "scene files") the default and set everything to zero. The Sony profiles are pretty vague in their description ..maybe they should have made them a little more descriptive like still cameras do but they have really just kept them totally technical and to ITU709 which doesn't mean very much to most of us!!

Wow, to do a comparison and test correctly you would need a lot of time and have the correct conditions too. At this stage PP3 looks very good to me for indoor work under lights but just doesn't work at all for exterior shots in bright sun or shade where the contrast is way higher. So I need really a better outdoor profile and can use the PP3 one indoors as I'm happy with that.

Anyone discovered a nice setup for Summer outdoors??

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)